BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-26-2020, 09:00 AM   #23
Natkhat
ENGIN33R
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 xDrive28i

Congratulations. That's a great color, I have the same X3 with different interior.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #24
Vikingstaff
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natkhat View Post
Congratulations. That's a great color, I have the same X3 with different interior.
Thanks! Yours looks great too in your profile pic. What interior color do you have with yours? Pictures? I bet it looks sharp. Happy cruising.
      08-27-2020, 01:06 PM   #25
Natkhat
ENGIN33R
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingstaff View Post
Thanks! Yours looks great too in your profile pic. What interior color do you have with yours? Pictures? I bet it looks sharp. Happy cruising.

Interior is Oyster Nevada Leather. I personally like bright interior because it makes interior look spacious and due to summer heat, bright interior is better.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2020, 04:03 PM   #26
bpwj76
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 530i; 2016 X3 Sdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natkhat View Post
Interior is Oyster Nevada Leather. I personally like bright interior because it makes interior look spacious and due to summer heat, bright interior is better.
I have oyster in my F30 and love it. It surprisingly doesn't get dirty like I initially thought it would.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2020, 05:46 PM   #27
Natkhat
ENGIN33R
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpwj76 View Post
I have oyster in my F30 and love it. It surprisingly doesn't get dirty like I initially thought it would.
Exactly - it does not get dirty and easy to clean, just wipe and all good.
Appreciate 2
      09-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #28
Captain Hook
X3 for me
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011

Howdy all. Will BimmerLink register a battery with different specs from the old battery? I know that a Foxwell N510 will do as much. But I put in a battery that has different specs from my old one and I need a way to register it. I wouldn't need a link like this for much else (but if it helps me diagnose a pesky and illusive bus code I'd be on the moon...). Any advantage with BimmerLink relative to Carly? Price? Capabilities?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #29
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Howdy all. Will BimmerLink register a battery with different specs from the old battery? I know that a Foxwell N510 will do as much. But I put in a battery that has different specs from my old one and I need a way to register it. I wouldn't need a link like this for much else (but if it helps me diagnose a pesky and illusive bus code I'd be on the moon...). Any advantage with BimmerLink relative to Carly? Price? Capabilities?
I have BimmerLink and Bimmercode. I'm not certain if Link will register different than spec battery but I would suspect so-if you don't get answer here you could contact the guy in Germany who wrote the app - he's pretty good about responding, check his website. Or maybe search/post question on F30 sedan forum...a lot more DIY guys there than on SAV forums.

Link is good app, handy. not sure how it compares to Carly, but I do believe Carly is subscription based, BimmerLink you own, ALL upgrades are free.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #30
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
I have BimmerLink and do believe it will register a battery that is not the OEM battery. I would go see first hand but sold my X3 so am going by memory but I do remember seeing it just before the X3 went.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 04:33 PM   #31
Captain Hook
X3 for me
United_States
Rep

Did some research. Looks like Link is like the Foxwell NT 510: It’ll register a battery with the exact specs of the old one but not one with different specs. It seems that Code will let you dig in and change the battery specs in the system, but it won’t actually register it. I plan on seeing if I can recode the system with Link and then use my Foxwell to register it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #32
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did some research. Looks like Link is like the Foxwell NT 510: It’ll register a battery with the exact specs of the old one but not one with different specs. It seems that Code will let you dig in and change the battery specs in the system, but it won’t actually register it. I plan on seeing if I can recode the system with Link and then use my Foxwell to register it.
Interesting, you sure? Well, I'll send you a PM
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #33
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
ista+ or e-sys will allow you to change the battery capacity, but then you'll need a windows PC and $15 cable
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      09-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #34
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let us know the outcome on this, I'm curious. See screenshot, I just connected my phone/BimmerLink to my car.
Thanks/Bill
Attached Images

Last edited by Wgosma; 09-22-2020 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #35
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Can't you use bimmercode to code the new capacity?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #36
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Can't you use bimmercode to code the new capacity?
Looks like it...this forum is forcing me to learn more about these apps - I might be dangerous in the future if I keep this up
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:47 PM   #37
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Looks like it...this forum is forcing me to learn more about these apps - I might be dangerous in the future if I keep this up
Right, we're all going to start bringing our cars to you!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 11:29 PM   #38
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:
Right, we're all going to start bringing our cars to you!
I turned 69 last month Marty...I'm phasing down on the DIY stuff, getting too old. 2 years ago when my car needed new battery I took it to local Pep Boys, had them install AGM battery and they coded it too; 205 bucks out the door. But, did use the app to diagnose faulty tire pressure sensor few months ago!

Better take your car to your trusted Indy shop....I'm about ready to close the doors on my garage, tho I do still change my own oil
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 12:12 PM   #39
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I turned 69 last month Marty...I'm phasing down on the DIY stuff, getting too old. 2 years ago when my car needed new battery I took it to local Pep Boys, had them install AGM battery and they coded it too; 205 bucks out the door. But, did use the app to diagnose faulty tire pressure sensor few months ago!

Better take your car to your trusted Indy shop....I'm about ready to close the doors on my garage, tho I do still change my own oil
OFF Topic:

I hear ya, I'm right behind you! In the past few years I've taken on rebuilding motorcycles as they are a lot easier to work on and I don't have to lay under a 4,000 car Now that I sold my X3 I don't have a car out of warranty so I'll get a break for a while.

Here are a couple pix from my latest project. This bike sold two weeks ago..

.. ..

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      09-23-2020, 12:58 PM   #40
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
OFF Topic:

I hear ya, I'm right behind you! In the past few years I've taken on rebuilding motorcycles as they are a lot easier to work on and I don't have to lay under a 4,000 car Now that I sold my X3 I don't have a car out of warranty so I'll get a break for a while.

Here are a couple pix from my latest project. This bike sold two weeks ago..

.. ..

Marty, you finally sold your X3. Congratulations. What did you replace it with?

Last edited by 383vett; 09-23-2020 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #41
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
Marty, you finally sold your X3. Congratulations. What did you replace it with?
Thanks! There are a lot of X3's on the market, mostly the 28i and I'm not in a very populated or prosperous area so it took a while to sell my 35i but the first person who came to see it, bought it. Right, that's the million dollar question...what to replace it with. Well, I've test driven just about everything SUV related under the sun. I tend to rule out makes where there's no dealer nearby though that's not a hard fast rule but that rules out Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo, Mazda (yeah, we don't even have a freak'n Mazda dealer anymore), Volvo, Land Rover and I'm not partial to the other Japanese or American makes.

That leaves the G05 X5 as it has a bit more cargo room than the X3 and I can get a spare tire without raising the cargo floor 3" like the X3 does. That means I can get rid of the run flats However, with the pandemic, it would just sit in the garage wasting the warranty if I were to buy one now.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #42
Captain Hook
X3 for me
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the information. My Veepeak OBD adaptor comes in today which will hopefully let me recode the DME with BimmerCode for the new battery specs...

...BUT...

I noticed from your screen shots that there isn't an option for my exact battery amp hours in BimmerCode. Their website confirms this. There are only options in the BimmerCode menu to change to 90ah or 105ah. My Foxwell tells me that the car is currently coded for a 90ah battery. And I bought a 100ah battery a few weeks ago before I knew about the need to register or recode the DME.

It's been a constant learning curve here; in hindsight I should have bought a battery with the exact specs of the old one... but here I am. Do I:

1. Not change the amp hours at all and just register my new 100ah battery at 90ah?

2. Use BimmerCode to code my 100ah battery higher (105ah) or lower (90ah), then register it? I know BimmerLink and Foxwell will register a battery of the same specs that the DME is programmed for...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #43
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'd do #2....code at say 105ah and go from there.

As I understand it this whole coding/registering/Intelligent Battery thing is done so the cars charging system yields optimal lifespan of the battery. I think this very small (100 to 105) battery difference seems negligible to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 03:10 PM   #44
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the information. My Veepeak OBD adaptor comes in today which will hopefully let me recode the DME with BimmerCode for the new battery specs...

...BUT...

I noticed from your screen shots that there isn't an option for my exact battery amp hours in BimmerCode. Their website confirms this. There are only options in the BimmerCode menu to change to 90ah or 105ah. My Foxwell tells me that the car is currently coded for a 90ah battery. And I bought a 100ah battery a few weeks ago before I knew about the need to register or recode the DME.

It's been a constant learning curve here; in hindsight I should have bought a battery with the exact specs of the old one... but here I am. Do I:

1. Not change the amp hours at all and just register my new 100ah battery at 90ah?

2. Use BimmerCode to code my 100ah battery higher (105ah) or lower (90ah), then register it? I know BimmerLink and Foxwell will register a battery of the same specs that the DME is programmed for...
Would it be possible to return and exchange your new battery for one that is listed in BimmerCode if that is what you will be using to register it? I recently replaced the one in my 2011 X3 35i (and it was the original battery from the factory!) with a 850CCA, 92 amp hr 49AGM.

Anyway, if you are stuck with the 100A battery, my preference would be to register it as a 90A as I would not want the cars DME puter to believe it was a 110A and therefore over charge your 100A and shorten its life or cause other electrical issues within the car even though it would only be 5% over.

FYI.. .. Take a sharpie and write the date on the top of the battery as you install it.

Let's see what other peoples comments are....if you keep your 100A, you have the option of charging it as a 90A (10% under) or 105A (5% over) its rating.
Appreciate 1