BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-14-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
GreggC
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 / 328i

Help with oil sensor problem please

Hey guys,
My oil quantity sensor went south,
I purchased a new one and installed it during an oil change,
The car wouldn't recognize the new oil quantity sensor and the msg In idrive said "oil quantity unavailable" so I hooked up my OBD scanned and although it showed no codes I did an erase anyway.
Now the car recognizes the sensor ("oil quantity unavailable"msg gone) however even after the engine gets to full temp the "measure oil quantity" stays shaded and wont allow oil quantity to be measured.
Any ideas ??
      07-14-2020, 06:02 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggC View Post
Hey guys,
My oil quantity sensor went south,
I purchased a new one and installed it during an oil change,
The car wouldn't recognize the new oil quantity sensor and the msg In idrive said "oil quantity unavailable" so I hooked up my OBD scanned and although it showed no codes I did an erase anyway.
Now the car recognizes the sensor ("oil quantity unavailable"msg gone) however even after the engine gets to full temp the "measure oil quantity" stays shaded and wont allow oil quantity to be measured.
Any ideas ??
Are you sure you waited long enough? Mine doesn't show the level for quite a while after driving it. Try driving it for 20 minutes and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:01 PM   #3
Captain Hook
X3 for me
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011

Howdy all. I'm having similar problems with my 2011 X3 28i. (Hey Marty in NY! Thanks again for your help with the transfer case/wheel speed sensor.)
  • Bought the car in July. Don't know when the last oil change was.
  • No check oil light on the main instrument panel.
  • iDrive screen shows "measurement inactive. Have this checked" for the oil level. When I click over to the right for more information I get a "service oil" message but it says I have 1300 miles to go for it... and the date is wrong (08/2021).
  • Foxwell NT-510 shows no codes for the oil level sensor.
  • BUT, Foxwell DOES show a code for "BSD data bus communications fault (CD9304)". True to form, my water pump runs for a few minutes after turning off the car, and one of the components on this bus (the oil sensor?) seems to be acting up. Just to be sure, I followed the unplugging/scanning process recommended here to try and diagnose it but unplugging the oil level sensor didn't clear the code.

Among the four/five big components on this bus, the oil sensor seems to be the only one that's acting up... BUT when I unplug it in this diagnostic process, I still get the error code, where the blog post suggests that the code should go away if it's faulty once I unplug it.

So, I dunno. I have no obvious problems with the water pump (just running after I turn the car off... no overheating), the alternator (no charging issues) or the IBS, as far as I can tell. I DO have problems getting a reading on my oil level. The iDrive says as much. But the Foxwell shows no specific oil level sensor fault. And the diagnostic procedure from the blog doesn't single out the oil level sensor as the cause of the BSD data bus communications fault.

Any thoughts? Is this just an obvious problem with an obvious solution - change the oil level sensor? Is the CD9304 fault and the proposed diagnostic a red herring??
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 11:15 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Howdy all. I'm having similar problems with my 2011 X3 28i. (Hey Marty in NY! Thanks again for your help with the transfer case/wheel speed sensor.)
  • iDrive screen shows "measurement inactive. Have this checked" for the oil level. When I click over to the right for more information I get a "service oil" message but it says I have 1300 miles to go for it... and the date is wrong (08/2021).
  • BUT, Foxwell DOES show a code for "BSD data bus communications fault (CD9304)". True to form, my water pump runs for a few minutes after turning off the car, and one of the components on this bus (the oil sensor?) seems to be acting up. Just to be sure, I followed the unplugging/scanning process recommended here to try and diagnose it but unplugging the oil level sensor didn't clear the code.

Among the four/five big components on this bus, the oil sensor seems to be the only one that's acting up... BUT when I unplug it in this diagnostic process, I still get the error code, where the blog post suggests that the code should go away if it's faulty once I unplug it.

So, I dunno. I have no obvious problems with the water pump (just running after I turn the car off... no overheating), the alternator (no charging issues) or the IBS, as far as I can tell. I DO have problems getting a reading on my oil level. The iDrive says as much. But the Foxwell shows no specific oil level sensor fault. And the diagnostic procedure from the blog doesn't single out the oil level sensor as the cause of the BSD data bus communications fault.

Any thoughts? Is this just an obvious problem with an obvious solution - change the oil level sensor? Is the CD9304 fault and the proposed diagnostic a red herring??
Have you used ista+ to diagnose it? If not, I would suggesting trying it since it may have diagnostics the Foxwell doesn't have?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 11:56 PM   #5
Captain Hook
X3 for me
United_States
Rep

Hey pungo. I don't have ista+. I don't have a Windows laptop either.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You're welcome Captain Hook! Well, I don't have experience on this particular issue but here is the BMW Code Readout which is basically saying to identify all the "users" on the bus, of which you have already said the oil level sensor is one, and see which one makes the code go away when you disconnect it and then replace that one. Looks like the only prerequisite is a good battery. From reading what your iDrive screen says, I believe its saying the sensor itself is suspect and not that your oil level is low.

BTW, does your oil temp gauge read normal?

Read through this thread, I wonder since you have a 2011 28i, if your software never got updated.. .. https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612101
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Hey pungo. I don't have ista+. I don't have a Windows laptop either.
Though a little more involved, it can be set it up on a MAC in a VM, but if you don't have a MAC, forget it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #8
Captain Hook
X3 for me
United_States
Rep

Hello again Marty! My oil temp is reading fine even after hard driving. Below 250 and I'm down in south Florida so there's plenty of heat.

Yeah it's weird that the obvious signs (iDrive) point to the oil level sensor, while unplugging the sensor doesn't clear the bus fault. I've pulled the plugs out of the alternator, the IBS, and the oil level sensor to try and clear it. No dice. The only things left are the water pump, whose connector is really hard to get to (can't get around the brace, hoses and sway bar), and the DME itself. Really hope it's not either one of those. I hear the water pump working and water moving through the tubes, and I'm having zero engine temp problems. Could the pump still be the faulty part? If it is faulty, could it cause my oil level sensor to go "inactive"??

Good investigation on the software update. Given that mine's a 2011 and I just got the car I have no idea if it was updated. But maybe it's the culprit. Doing what I can not to drive this thing in to the stealer and have them plug in a computer for $400...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #9
Captain Hook
X3 for me
United_States
Rep

Hey pungo. I do have a Mac. What's a VM? Sorry I'm a novice here.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #10
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey pungo. I do have a Mac. What's a VM? Sorry I'm a novice here.
VM = Virtual Machine. I too have a Mac and you can run Windows based programs on it even if they were not designed to run on an Apple puter. I'm not talking about things like Microsoft Office for Mac, rather native Windows (DOS) based programs that were never modified for anything Apple.

There are a few ways/methods do it.

Check this out --> https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/m...tware-3671133/

Attached Images

Appreciate 0