BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-04-2020, 08:54 AM   #1
flaco
Rep
Drives: e60 m5

F25 x28d what to look for?

I've been thinking about getting a x28d. Any advise on how reliable this drivetrain / car is? What are the common failure points these cars have? I see chatter about timing chains here and there but no idea if this applies to the N47 or not.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #2
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

There is a recall on the EGR cooler and associated parts. I had mine repaired last November/December. Took several weeks since one part had to be shipped from Germany. Risk of fire from coolant possibly entering engine.

Mine was apparently leaking. But since repair my slow coolant loss seems to have stopped. As far as I know, the timing chain issue is tied to the 4 cyl gas engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5,Model3,M240i

X3 28d issues

1. My HP fuel pump failed under warranty around 44K mi. leaving us stranded at the Tex/NM border. BMW sent a flatbed tow to get us back to Amarillo, put us up 3 nights in hotels & covered meals (but not tips) as local dealer didn't have a diesel fuel pump in stock.

2. There was a recall/TSB for the EGR cooler:

"If the EGR cooler leaks internally, the coolant can mix with diesel engine soot. The high EGR temperatures may result in these particles possibly smoldering and melting the intake manifold. BMW will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and replace the EGR cooler as necessary."

Mine was inspected once last fall and again in January 2020 without any EGR cooler issues. My 28d now has around 53K mi. No real issues yet. I replaced original Goodyears with Michelin run-flats. Quieter & better handling.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:23 AM   #4
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
They are rare, that's for sure. Probably one in a thousand will be a diesel. I've got one and love it. Picked it up 8 months ago fresh off lease, 2016 model with 49K miles. Since then I've put on a trouble-free 11K miles, done one oil change, replaced all the other filters and planning on tires next.

What to expect? Probably 33 mpg average. No worries on the timing chain, not really an issue on our US model diesels. I would pick one with an extended factory warranty though, if you're worried about that.

Otherwise, the only real unknown is the emissions system. The AdBlue/DEF heater line has been known to fail, causing a check engine light. It may come and go, meaning an intermittent failure, or it may permanently on until the line is replaced. I hear it's several hundred bucks at the dealer.

BMW has extended the factory warranty on a few emissions-related items, such as NOx sensors and others, taking it to 10yr/120k miles. That may come in handy.

Some folks have had EGR cooler leaks and there is a recall out there for EGR cooler replacement. You can ask if that's been done.

There is also the possibility of transfer case issues, but these were far more common on the 3er sedans and wagons. Plenty of reading available on that if you're so inclined.

Finally, if it's a car that has lived its entire life in Illannoy, chances are it has had mainly biodiesel fuel. Not saying that's bad, but BMW doesn't recommend it above a certain low percentage (7% i think) typically not found in IL. If you plan to buy one from IL, I would definitely change the fuel filter and run a good fuel injection cleaner like LiquiMoly Diesel Purge. I would also invest in a good scan tool and either the Carly app or BimmerLink. You will need it sooner or later.
      09-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

I would read up on the Bosch CP4 pump and all of its issues. It is enough to keep me from buying a BMW N47 or N57.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #6
flaco
Rep
Drives: e60 m5

Thanks for the feedback, interesting stuff for sure. A recall is ok I think - fix free of charge. The CP4 pump not so much. It seems there were a few pump revisions, assuming the latest rev fixed whatever issues it had I wonder what the X3 build cutoff date is (if it even got the latest revision).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #7
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
I'll have to look into the pump, hadn't seen that one.
I picked up a '15 28d a few weeks back, seems all good. Loving the mileage. From researching it appears all the timing chain N47 issues were from many years prior, or at least I hope. Seems like this might be the most reliable engine option for the F25.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 07:34 AM   #8
Ol' Fart
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3, 28d, Mineral White

I've had mine since 2017 and love it. I had the EGR recall completed under warranty as well as the DEF heater lines. The heater lines I wasn't even aware there was a problem until the dealer advised me. The only other issue I have had is the driver's seat cracking down on the side bolster. Dealer replaced it under warranty, but it has cracked again.

I have made two trips to Texas with it. The first trip I averaged 39.3 mpg and the second trip I averaged 40.7. That's at about 5 mph over the posted speed limits. Around home I am averaging about 35 mpg. Another thing I have noted, and like, my mpg doesn't seem to be affected by driving in sport mode, which I do about 90 % of the time. I am approaching 60k miles with zero problems other than what I mentioned.

The only downside is mine came with halogen headlights, which absolutely suck. Too costly to switch to another type, so I upgraded to aftermarket bulbs which helped considerably.

2019 BMW 430 XI Grand Coupe, White, Black leather interior

2016 BMW X3, 28d, Mineral White metalic, Oyster Nevada leather interior.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #9
tracfour
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550. 2015 x328d

Garage List
I have a 15 28D I love it has great torque but after driving my 550 I wish it was faster. But I had a recall done for the cooler and since then no issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 12:21 PM   #10
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I also had the glove box issue. I bought a c-clamp and gorilla glue and fixed it myself. Not quite a year ago and still holding up.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 05:03 PM   #11
EricD735i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘16 328d & ‘16 X3 28d

We’ve had ours for a bit over two years and 20k miles now with 62k total. No major issues, just normal wear stuff. Recently did the thrust arms and changed the transfer case and diffs. Had to have a wheel bearing replace last year. Had the particulate sensor replaced under the warranty extension. There are 10 year/120k extensions on that, the fuel pump, and N0X sensors. I also always run an additive to deal with water and add extra lubrication for the high pressure pump.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 04:20 PM   #12
ivanb
Rep
Drives: X3 28d

So timing chain is not a problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #13
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
I have owned my 28d for three year and experienced just one problem: DEF line heater was replaced under warranty. It has great low-speed torque and is my favorite car for urban and suburban driving. Also, it's a comfortable vehicle with great range for long hauls. Did a giant loop from the east coast to Calgary Canada and south to AZ then back home. Since BMW stop selling diesels in the US, I dread the idea of having to replace it with a gas version.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 05:31 PM   #14
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
I have owned my 28d for three year and experienced just one problem: DEF line heater was replaced under warranty. It has great low-speed torque and is my favorite car for urban and suburban driving. Also, it's a comfortable vehicle with great range for long hauls. Did a giant loop from the east coast to Calgary Canada and south to AZ then back home. Since BMW stop selling diesels in the US, I dread the idea of having to replace it with a gas version.
For vacations, it is nice. I've hit over 38mpg a couple times when conditions were right. On the other hand, the 6 cyl turbo engine is nice on the loaner I had. Just more expensive to fuel.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 06:24 AM   #15
chippen
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F25 2.8 D

Hello from me.
I have been the owner of the same car imported from Canada to Bulgaria for several weeks.
At the moment I have the problem that everyone has. EGR and Collector.
They were ordered for replacement by Germany under warranty and I am waiting for its replacement.
A week ago, the car turned off and did not want to start. After we charged the battery as it travels for 2 months in a container and there was not much electricity. The car went off on the move.
After diagnosis showed a problem with egr. Yesterday I went to the BMW service here and decided to give it a try, because they have just cleaned the car at the moment and we are waiting for the new one. The car is assembled and I decided to try what will happen. On leaving the service station, the same problem started.
I want to ask you how you understand when the ADBLUE should be topped up because I can't find the amount or how much is left on the navigation.