BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #45
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Amazed that you spent this much time comparing 2 SAVs in performance and handling.

You want a truck or SUV, buy American
Trucks, sure. SUVs? HELL no! Not if you value overall performance.
Maybe but why the fuck are you worried about performance if you're in a SUV/SAV? Lol doesn't make any sense. I would take an Escalade or even an XT6 over any European suv/sav right now. Utility, comfort and ride is all that matters.
Because I don't want to have to practically stop just to make a turn. Or slam the gas pedal and hope I can merge in time onto the highway. Or... you get the idea.
clee1982797.50
      01-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #46
supershaft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, Cayenne Turbo

Quote:
Amazed that you spent this much time comparing 2 SAVs in performance and handling.

american SUVs are all hot garbage. In fact an american car hasn't crossed my mind to buy since the 90s
Appreciate 1
sd306380.50
      01-19-2020, 11:36 AM   #47
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
american SUVs are all hot garbage. In fact an american car hasn't crossed my mind to buy since the 90s
The newest Lincoln SUVs (Navigator, Aviator, Corsair) are not bad.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2020, 09:11 PM   #48
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe but why the fuck are you worried about performance if you're in a SUV/SAV? Lol doesn't make any sense. I would take an Escalade or even an XT6 over any European suv/sav right now. Utility, comfort and ride is all that matters.
Because I don't want to have to practically stop just to make a turn. Or slam the gas pedal and hope I can merge in time onto the highway. Or... you get the idea.
Yeah ok Toretto....nobody is racing SUVs, even moms and dads hauling kids don't do shit with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 11:06 PM   #49
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Yeah ok Toretto....nobody is racing SUVs, even moms and dads hauling kids don't do shit with them.
Yeahhh, there are no fast SUVs out there anyway and zero market for them.... Grand Cherokee SRT8 / Trackhawk, Lamborghini Urus, Porsche Cayenne Turbo / Macan Turbo, Alfa Stelvio, Bentley Bentayga, Maserati Lavante, Jag F-Pace SVR, X3/4/5/6 M, MB GLC/S AMG, Durango SRT8....
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 9
paliknight2191.50
heavyD^23688.50
clee1982797.50
Mehim76.50
SRHinVA36.00
gblansten1971.00
sd306380.50
      01-20-2020, 12:52 AM   #50
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You must live in a linear world to think there is no market for performance SUVs.

You must be very tenacious to think you're right and every other person on the planet is wrong.
      01-20-2020, 07:57 AM   #51
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Are you new to the automobile industry or just new to the internet?
Appreciate 4
Bufalo124.00
AlexFL7836.00
sd306380.50
      01-20-2020, 09:38 AM   #52
BrooklynG87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s REX  [10.00]
2021 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
2018 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M Compet ...  [10.00]
1999 BMW M3  [10.00]
Great write-up! Thank you for taking the time to jot this down for all of us!
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
Mehim76.50
      02-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #53
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

So I test drove an X3M base on 21s with the Continental tires today. It was my first X3M drive and I also drove an M40i for comparison. I found the X3M suspension to be very reasonable regarding comfort, and I drove on multiple road surfaces including a very cratered intersection with potholes that would swallow pedestrians. At no time did I find it busy or crashy like my E9x competition M3s. I did notice small bumps come into the cabin more than the M40i, such as lane turtles but this wasn't a problem and again was less than my M3 experiences. The Conti tires were crap in our 45F weather today though with traction control limiting power constantly and I even spun up the front tires accelerating moderately from stop while turning left. I absolutely would not keep those tires if I bought one with them. Another thing is the base exhaust was nothing special and would be a disappointment to me if I went with a base.

An X3M Comp was not available to me today but I would prefer to buy that as I want all the doodads of the comp model. So now I'm wondering if it's that much different for comfort. I would have not problem with the suspension in the base M. I guess according to the OP it is different but I'll have to test drive one myself.
Appreciate 2
Ilyam5893.00
DAC17170.50
      02-29-2020, 06:17 AM   #54
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
So I test drove an X3M base on 21s with the Continental tires today. It was my first X3M drive and I also drove an M40i for comparison. I found the X3M suspension to be very reasonable regarding comfort, and I drove on multiple road surfaces including a very cratered intersection with potholes that would swallow pedestrians. At no time did I find it busy or crashy like my E9x competition M3s. I did notice small bumps come into the cabin more than the M40i, such as lane turtles but this wasn't a problem and again was less than my M3 experiences. The Conti tires were crap in our 45F weather today though with traction control limiting power constantly and I even spun up the front tires accelerating moderately from stop while turning left. I absolutely would not keep those tires if I bought one with them. Another thing is the base exhaust was nothing special and would be a disappointment to me if I went with a base.

An X3M Comp was not available to me today but I would prefer to buy that as I want all the doodads of the comp model. So now I'm wondering if it's that much different for comfort. I would have not problem with the suspension in the base M. I guess according to the OP it is different but I'll have to test drive one myself.
How did you find the M40 in comparison? So haven't had time to drive either but wondering how to 2020 with upgraded B58 compares.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #55
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Ok, I was being lazy...😀
Thing is BMW aren't wrong, Alpina will sell maybe a 300-400 of those if they are lucky across the world that's not a market BMW wants or needs to address, but wait they do! You can have a near 400hp M340i xdrive touring for 1/2 the price of the Alpina...Seems like they do know their customer base after all....but it's one that is willing to spend 40k on a 3 series touring not 80k.
      02-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #56
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:

Good review.
I would definitely go with X3M base.

20" wheels are a must in US war zone roads.
Lighter package, more tire choices and cheaper rubber does not hurt either

Softer suspension is welcome as well _ since its the most heard of complaint about this car

Regular seats for sure vs M seats for
- rear legroom
- visibility
- more comfort on bolsters digging into legs

Quieter exhaust is not bad either - not to piss of the neighbors in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #57
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I drove a comp model today and it felt surprisingly different than the base, but not in the way I expected. The suspension felt marginally more stiff which was fine, but it also felt faster than the base X3M I drove. All the extra power of the comp comes above 6k RPMs which I did not hit today but it just felt more eager to get going. Maybe I drove it differently and I certainly was not driving it in traffic today while there was some traffic when I drove the base, but my comp test drive was noticeably more fun and I got a better idea of how very fast this SUV can be.

I think it was just a fluke but I was a little underwhelmed with the power during my base test drive and very satisfied with the power during the comp test drive. I do think going on 2 or more test drives is critical with any car though and this is probably confirmation of that.

Beyond this subjective power difference (probably not real), the handling did feel a tad sharper and ride comfort very similar but just baaaarely less comfort on the comp model. I did not mind this and still think the suspension is excellent, driving like an M3 but with more comfort. I took a long on-ramp sweeper and the comp felt more stable, possibly this is due to the supposed increased roll bars or maybe all in my head.

I certainly liked the black accent aesthetics of the comp model and the exhaust was louder/deeper, but not by much. I would be getting 21s and the full M seats in either model. All in all though I'll be going with a competition model over the base. The price difference on lease is so small once you pay to black out the base trim that it is a no brainer for me to go comp.

X3 M40i is off my list and I'm not even going to bother driving the Merc or Alfa as they are significantly more expensive to lease.

Oh and one last thing: Sakhir orange interior is stunning in person. I can't live without it. I may have to hypnotize my wife to get her to approve. Donington over Sakhir orange is my confirmed choice.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13501.50
      03-01-2020, 09:53 PM   #58
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Quote:
I drove a comp model today and it felt surprisingly different than the base, but not in the way I expected. The suspension felt marginally more stiff which was fine, but it also felt faster than the base X3M I drove. All the extra power of the comp comes above 6k RPMs which I did not hit today but it just felt more eager to get going. Maybe I drove it differently and I certainly was not driving it in traffic today while there was some traffic when I drove the base, but my comp test drive was noticeably more fun and I got a better idea of how very fast this SUV can be.

I think it was just a fluke but I was a little underwhelmed with the power during my base test drive and very satisfied with the power during the comp test drive. I do think going on 2 or more test drives is critical with any car though and this is probably confirmation of that.

Beyond this subjective power difference (probably not real), the handling did feel a tad sharper and ride comfort very similar but just baaaarely less comfort on the comp model. I did not mind this and still think the suspension is excellent, driving like an M3 but with more comfort. I took a long on-ramp sweeper and the comp felt more stable, possibly this is due to the supposed increased roll bars or maybe all in my head.

I certainly liked the black accent aesthetics of the comp model and the exhaust was louder/deeper, but not by much. I would be getting 21s and the full M seats in either model. All in all though I'll be going with a competition model over the base. The price difference on lease is so small once you pay to black out the base trim that it is a no brainer for me to go comp.

X3 M40i is off my list and I'm not even going to bother driving the Merc or Alfa as they are significantly more expensive to lease.

Oh and one last thing: Sakhir orange interior is stunning in person. I can't live without it. I may have to hypnotize my wife to get her to approve. Donington over Sakhir orange is my confirmed choice.
That and the Tartufo look awesome!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #59
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:

I've only driven the Comp and found that you really have to go after it to make it feel fast. In every day driving (<3500rpm), the car feels rather ordinary. Suspension was fine for me. Noise bothered me more than anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:03 AM   #60
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Well, I finally pulled the trigger. Brought home a base X3M on Saturday.

X3M
Donington Grey
Black extended leather
M Sport seats (after another test drive figured I could live with the slightly tighter bottom bolsters, though I am going to try to soften the upper seam that does hit my thighs)
Seat Ventilation
Carbon Fiber trim
21" wheels (got Michelins too!)
Executive Package
Drivers' Assistance Plus
Mobility Kit

On my drive home from the dealership I noticed a more supple ride than I did on my prior test drives while also feeling like the car was more agile (i.e. better turn in). I really think the Michelin P4S tires are the reason. My dealership had 1 X3M on the their lot that had the Michelins and I asked for them to be swapped over to my car (which I had test driven twice with the ContiSport 6's) as part of the deal. They seem to grip better in the colder temps too. Bottom line, I am very glad I pressed for the tires to be swapped.

I've already ordered the black Comp kidney and side grilles. While I would have liked to have gone for a comp, I still think the suspension on the base is better sorted. I will miss the better sounding exhaust on the Comp and the slight boost in HP, but that is really the only thing that I'll probably regret in the future. The power is easily solved (and then some) with Bootmod down the road.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00
      01-26-2021, 05:20 AM   #61
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

We've recently found out the suspension (hardware anyways) on these two cars are the exact same with no difference in parts unfortunately. So it must all be in the tuning of the EDC we're assuming...
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 03:49 PM   #62
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
So all small cars like an E92 335i are for gas saving, right? because they get better gas mileage... Lol.

You do know people come in different sizes right? Try fitting a 6ft 4 person in a small huracan, m3, etc. good luck. Just like it doesn't make sense for a 4ft 7" person to drive an escalade.

American cars are mostly junk quality. I'd still buy the hellcat widebody though just because it hauls ass, is loud, v8, supercharged, and 'murica.
      01-26-2021, 03:59 PM   #63
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
boooo
Attached Images

01-26-2021, 04:02 PM   #64
sd306
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
The newest Lincoln SUVs (Navigator, Aviator, Corsair) are not bad.
I will say the aviator was the only one that caught my attention. Then i went to BMW and MB and said wtf was I thinking. :rips turn at 60 on the test drive:
      01-26-2021, 04:13 PM   #65
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd306 View Post
I will say the aviator was the only one that caught my attention. Then i went to BMW and MB and said wtf was I thinking. :rips turn at 60 on the test drive:
Totally agree there. We have an X7 in our family and I briefly considered the Aviator. Went to look at it and it had way too much of the old man vibe going (I'm 40 years old). Though I will say it is way better than Lincoln products of old.

Plus, I have this theory that Ford overstates their horsepower ratings (opposite of BMW). Time and again, I read about Ford cars that are slower than other cars that are heavier and supposedly less powerful.
Appreciate 1
sd306380.50
      01-26-2021, 10:56 PM   #66
richsnuc
Retired USN LT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M60i Avus Blue/Coffee

X3M vs. M240i or 135i
I am older than most who want this vehicle for their family. My daughter is >30 yo.

The x3M (non-Comp) is more comfortable than and as fast as my M240i (yes, as fast as an M240i).

The X3M is not as raw as the 135i (best car I've ever owned), but rides about the same, is faster, and is a great substitute.