BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-07-2018, 10:08 PM   #1
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

Precision RaceWorks Coil Install

Jumped on their Black Friday deal. My coils where long over due. Seems a bit smoother but I did it together with a bootmods3 flash. Below are the installed pics.

Ok I have repeatedly tried to upload the pictures and keep getting an upload failed meesage???
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 10:55 PM   #2
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/F25 M-sport

Were your coil packs original? I had brand new Delphi's and one popped causing misfire in cylinder 6, under 7k miles. Luckily they have lifetime guarantee free replacement.

Quite surprised one failed so soon.[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #3
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I had the delphi's and after 20k had to reinstall the factory coils because number 6 failed. Ok here are the pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
E90705127.00
      12-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #4
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

OEM coils work perfectly fine, no need to upgrade.
Appreciate 1
Polo088161614.50
      12-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Looks amazing. I may have to get those based on how badass they look too. I see your oil cooler lines/ plate. Are you running an upgraded oil cooler? Do you normally leave the engine cover off as well? Also noticed your tube is missing from the vent hose.
Appreciate 1
rcsup1153.50
      12-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90705 View Post
Looks amazing. I may have to get those based on how badass they look too. I see your oil cooler lines/ plate. Are you running an upgraded oil cooler? Do you normally leave the engine cover off as well? Also noticed your tube is missing from the vent hose.
I have the thermostat delete plate going to a 25 row oil cooler.

I fab'd up a custom cold air intake, without the factory air box the engine cover has nothing to attach itself in the rear. Plus the factory air box is the what covers the rear of the engine. I have an N54 cover that I may try to integrate.

I eliminated the return of the Pcv from in front of the turbo and just have it vented to the atmosphere. That way no oil vapor makes its way into the turbo and intake track under boost. It has a on way valve so nothing can be sucked in.

Here some pics of the cold air set-up

I
Attached Images

2011 F25 X3 35i |M-Sport Front Bumper Conversion|Largus Full Adjustable Coilovers|FTP Charge Pipes|Gutted Catalytic Downpipe|RB Oil Cooler Thermostat Delete|25 Row Oil Cooler|Custom Built Cold Air Intake|9"AEM Cone Filter Behind Kidney Grills With Outerwear|Precision Raceworks Coils|BM3 Stage 2 E30 Tune| BM3 Upgraded 8-speed TCU Flash|395mm X5M Front Brakes
Appreciate 1
E90705127.00
      12-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I noticed that too. The factory air box and intake piping is gone and relocated with the blue tubing! I thought about doing that but settled with an AFE drop in. How is your custom setup? I had a bms intake but I like the OEM airbox.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsup1 View Post
Ok I have repeatedly tried to upload the pictures and keep getting an upload failed meesage???
I get the same thing when I try to upload pics
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #9
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I noticed that too. The factory air box and intake piping is gone and relocated with the blue tubing! I thought about doing that but settled with an AFE drop in. How is your custom setup? I had a bms intake but I like the OEM airbox.
I love my custom set-up. It gets the coolest air possible and makes all the cool turbo noises...lol
2011 F25 X3 35i |M-Sport Front Bumper Conversion|Largus Full Adjustable Coilovers|FTP Charge Pipes|Gutted Catalytic Downpipe|RB Oil Cooler Thermostat Delete|25 Row Oil Cooler|Custom Built Cold Air Intake|9"AEM Cone Filter Behind Kidney Grills With Outerwear|Precision Raceworks Coils|BM3 Stage 2 E30 Tune| BM3 Upgraded 8-speed TCU Flash|395mm X5M Front Brakes
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #10
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
Now what exactly are the benefits of upgraded coils? More power to the plug for a bigger spark? Do you need a custom tune to run upgraded coils?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #11
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolX3 View Post
Now what exactly are the benefits of upgraded coils? More power to the plug for a bigger spark? Do you need a custom tune to run upgraded coils?
Probably never experience a misfire again, mhd has a flash option for these coils, stock coils are fine too tho. Not sure if bm3 has this flash option it but probably will or does.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #12
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I love my custom set-up. It gets the coolest air possible and makes all the cool turbo noises...lol
What did you do with the MAF sensor on the tube by the strut tower? And the pcv hard plastic tube over the valve cover that plugs into the intake tube ? And the 3rd tube you said you vent to atmosphere. I like this setup a lot. Makes accessing all the coils sooo much easier.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:45 PM   #13
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What did you do with the MAF sensor on the tube by the strut tower? And the pcv hard plastic tube over the valve cover that plugs into the intake tube ? And the 3rd tube you said you vent to atmosphere. I like this setup a lot. Makes accessing all the coils sooo much easier.
I cut the factory inlet piping where the Maf sits (about a foot of it) and used it as part of the cold air inlet. This way the factory flow characteristics would not be disrupted.

I left the heating element plugged in and zip tied it in the engine compartment out of site. The pcv tube is deleted. I vent straight from the valve cover out.

I did this 2 years ago, I have some pictures on my pc at home that I can dig up. I'm out of town at the moment I'll try to post them up next weekend when I return.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #14
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I cut the factory inlet piping where the Maf sits (about a foot of it) and used it as part of the cold air inlet. This way the factory flow characteristics would not be disrupted.

I left the heating element plugged in and zip tied it in the engine compartment out of site. The pcv tube is deleted. I vent straight from the valve cover out.

I did this 2 years ago, I have some pictures on my pc at home that I can dig up. I'm out of town at the moment I'll try to post them up next weekend when I return.
I may have to find a spare intake tube at a pick n pull or something to do this to my engine bay. I really like the openness without the stock airbox.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #15
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

Quote:
Do you also have an upgraded FMIC?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #16
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebro View Post
Quote:
I do not, probably next on the list. I want to do some data logging first to see if it's worth it on the stock turbo. With the factory turbo being so small I'm concerned about potential added lag and the psi loss through a bigger core offsetting any gains.

I may do a water spray over the factory intercooler first or WI in the charge pipe.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #17
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I do not, probably next on the list. I want to do some data logging first to see if it's worth it on the stock turbo. With the factory turbo being so small I'm concerned about potential added lag and the psi loss through a bigger core offsetting any gains.

I may do a water spray over the factory intercooler first or WI in the charge pipe.
I kinda wish I did some data logging on the stock FMIC prior to installing VRSF street HD core.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #18
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

Quote:

I ask because the CAI is basically useless without one. The stock intercooler heat soaks on any pull past 130 MPH or so. Quicker with a tune.

Also, the VRSF 5" intercooler actually has a PSI rise of ~2 PSI due to the optimized paths and end tanks, so it definitely helps with the stock turbo. Even with bolt ons and E85 it makes a ton of sense to keep IAT as close to ambient as possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 04:48 PM   #19
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I ask because the CAI is basically useless without one. The stock intercooler heat soaks on any pull past 130 MPH or so. Quicker with a tune.

Also, the VRSF 5" intercooler actually has a PSI rise of ~2 PSI due to the optimized paths and end tanks, so it definitely helps with the stock turbo. Even with bolt ons and E85 it makes a ton of sense to keep IAT as close to ambient as possible.
The CAI is never useless. If you start off with a cooler charge the intercooler has less work to do and will recover faster. There are a tone of real world test that prove this! The difference is substancial.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #20
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

The factory intake system is the best CAI money can buy. Anything you make or buy aftermarket will cause you to lose 5-15whp.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 09:54 PM   #21
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The CAI is never useless. If you start off with a cooler charge the intercooler has less work to do and will recover faster. There are a tone of real world test that prove this! The difference is substancial.
Care to share 1?

I'm assuming you will provide one of a BMW car having its intake modified and showing the gains in colder air. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #22
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
The factory intake system is the best CAI money can buy. Anything you make or buy aftermarket will cause you to lose 5-15whp.
Whaaaaaat ??? Lol ok! I'll take my loss!
Appreciate 0