BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-23-2020, 06:47 PM   #1
afrirado
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Unhappy Water enter 2014 BMW X3 battery compartment when driving in rain

Hi everyone,

I experienced a weird situation of water in battery compartment in my 14 X3.

Here is what happened, initially I noticed water because liftgate stopped working and there was about half inch of water in the battery compartment and the liftgate control module was damaged by water. But I don't see water mark on both sides of the battery compartment.

So I close everything and use garden hose to spray water to the car from top to bottom, no water entered. Then after two days of rain, no water enter as well. Finally I decided to drive in the rain (13 miles) to see what happen and water enter the battery compartment but both sides were dry.

Does anyone experience this before or does anyone know where the entrance may be?

Thanks and be safe.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 06:57 AM   #2
Sandy5454
Sandy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30D

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
Could it be due to water from the sunroof drains?
I know there is a history of these drains letting water into the car. Lots of info on YouTube how to check the drains and fix them.
good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 07:35 AM   #3
afrirado
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy5454 View Post
Could it be due to water from the sunroof drains?
I know there is a history of these drains letting water into the car. Lots of info on YouTube how to check the drains and fix them.
good luck
Thank you Sandy5454, I know what you are talking. But usually these drains clog will let water into the side, not in the middle directly. I will check it out for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
afrirado
Rep

I inset trimmer line and almost 6 feet in and didn't see the line come out, where the drain end?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
Black Prinz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 545i-128i-X3x35i-M2C

With my wife's X3, water was seeping in from the 3rd brake light (CHMSL - center high mount stop light)
The Black Prinz | 09E82N51 | BMW 3-Stage Intake Manifold | BILSTEIN B12 Pro-System+ | ///M Control Arms | ///M Bushing kit | ///M Strut Brace | DINAN Camber Plates & Rear Shock Mounts | ECS Performance Trailing Arms | aFe Magnum Force Intake System [Dynamic Air Scoops+Stage 2 CAI] | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Brakes | GOODRIDGE G-Stop SS | DEPO V2 | Style 220M reps |
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #6
afrirado
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Prinz View Post
With my wife's X3, water was seeping in from the 3rd brake light (CHMSL - center high mount stop light)
In your case, where the water will accumulate considering the light is pretty high, still in battery compartment? Today after a big thunderstorm, still no water sign in the battery compartment, in my case, I have to drive in the rain for water to get in which is so weird
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrirado View Post
In your case, where the water will accumulate considering the light is pretty high, still in battery compartment? Today after a big thunderstorm, still no water sign in the battery compartment, in my case, I have to drive in the rain for water to get in which is so weird
Finding water ingress is always a challenging task. If you believe one of the triggers is driving in the rain, you might want to get the help of a friend, spouse, etc. Get into a dark place, maybe your garage at night with lights off, etc, pull up the cargo floor to gain good access to the battery compartment. One of you lay under the rear of the car while the other one shines a flashlight into the battery compartment. Shine it everywhere in there because you don't know the spot where the water gets in. Ask the other people to give a yell if they see your flashlight from under the car. If you have a long tube light, like a fluorescent light or LED strip, that would work better than a flashlight because it would flood the battery compartment with light and make it easier to see from underneath. Alternatively, you could put the light under the car and then look into the battery compartment to try and see it. Anyway, just an idea.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #8
afrirado
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Finding water ingress is always a challenging task. If you believe one of the triggers is driving in the rain, you might want to get the help of a friend, spouse, etc. Get into a dark place, maybe your garage at night with lights off, etc, pull up the cargo floor to gain good access to the battery compartment. One of you lay under the rear of the car while the other one shines a flashlight into the battery compartment. Shine it everywhere in there because you don't know the spot where the water gets in. Ask the other people to give a yell if they see your flashlight from under the car. If you have a long tube light, like a fluorescent light or LED strip, that would work better than a flashlight because it would flood the battery compartment with light and make it easier to see from underneath. Alternatively, you could put the light under the car and then look into the battery compartment to try and see it. Anyway, just an idea.
Thank you, that is a great idea. will try it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, that is a great idea. will try it.
You're welcome. Another but less desirable idea would be to have someone under the car with a water hose set to a somewhat forceful spray pattern thereby imitating a drive in the rain while you are in the battery compartment looking to see where its coming in from. Maybe you can ask one of the neighbors you don't especially like to lay under the car with the hose
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #10
Black Prinz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 545i-128i-X3x35i-M2C

Quote:
With enough rain that's where it ended up; small pool on the cargo cover & cargo mat was normally dry.

Shop found the leak and sealed with silicone & no water issues since.
The Black Prinz | 09E82N51 | BMW 3-Stage Intake Manifold | BILSTEIN B12 Pro-System+ | ///M Control Arms | ///M Bushing kit | ///M Strut Brace | DINAN Camber Plates & Rear Shock Mounts | ECS Performance Trailing Arms | aFe Magnum Force Intake System [Dynamic Air Scoops+Stage 2 CAI] | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Brakes | GOODRIDGE G-Stop SS | DEPO V2 | Style 220M reps |
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #11
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
I had a similar issue...water on cargo cover and some below, but never got bad enough/I caught it in time before it got down to the battery (I think). I had been rear ended and repaired, so I took it back to the shop thinking they messed something up (long story, bad auto body shop, was like pulling teeth to get things done right)...they said it was the 3rd brake light and replaced it. I also adjusted the bump stops down a bit. Since both of those, no water in the back.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 09:51 PM   #12
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
I had a similar issue...water on cargo cover and some below, but never got bad enough/I caught it in time before it got down to the battery (I think). I had been rear ended and repaired, so I took it back to the shop thinking they messed something up (long story, bad auto body shop, was like pulling teeth to get things done right)...they said it was the 3rd brake light and replaced it. I also adjusted the bump stops down a bit. Since both of those, no water in the back.
You're the second one who is saying the water got in via the third brake light. So I can imagine that water gets in, ends up on the cargo cover which is drawn all the way back and then when you take off in the car, the water shifts and ends up in the battery compartment. Sound logical?

afrirado , you getting all this? Possibly the test to do is make sure your cargo cover is fully extended and locked into position, place a dry towel over it and then spray water up at the third brake light for a few minutes and then see if your towel is wet. Not sure how long it might take before the water makes its way through and onto your towel but its a pretty easy thing to do and if this is in fact the entry point, you would be able to follow the water trail back up to see where its coming from. Could be the light sense is cracked or the gasket is dried up.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:24 PM   #13
afrirado
Rep

I did try to spray water with garden hose from top to bottom and even from under the car, but no water get into battery compartment. In recent days, there is thunderstorm everyday and I did not see water get in, the cargo mat or cover are always dry. it's heavy rain now and will check first thing tomorrow morning.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:57 PM   #14
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
For difficult water leaks, I've heard of shops using some type of fog/smoke machine in the vehicle and see where it comes out. Know someone in a band
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 07:16 AM   #15
afrirado
Rep

Just checked, no water trunk mat or cover or battery compartment. I will try use light or smoke method
Appreciate 0