BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-27-2020, 09:40 PM   #1
tizzyd
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i 6MT

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 335i Coupe  [8.50]
Question for X3M non-Comp owners - Any regrets?

I am 100% getting an X3 M - just can't seem to decide on what to get. For some reason I like how the non-Comp rides better, and prefer the look of it, especially with the 21s. My question to you all is - do you regret not going for the Comp? I know it definitely sounds better, but the X3 M I'm looking at has the 21s and the M Sport Seats which are the most important things to me anyway.....

I just would hate to be down the road and get mad at myself every time I see a Competition. I hate that BMW did this, I almost want to go normal X3 M to protest the Comp movement
2007 E60 M5 6MT (Interlagos/Silverstone Full) | 2013 F10 M5 6MT (Imola Red/Black Full) | 2022 BMW M5 CS (Brands Hatch Grey) | 2006 E46 M3 Comp 6MT (Silver Grey/Black, CSL clone) | 2011.5 E92 M3 (Fire Orange/Black Recaros, 4.6L Stroker, GTS Clone) | 2011 1M (Valencia Orange/Black)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 09:42 PM   #2
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyd View Post
I am 100% getting an X3 M - just can't seem to decide on what to get. For some reason I like how the non-Comp rides better, and prefer the look of it, especially with the 21s. My question to you all is - do you regret not going for the Comp? I know it definitely sounds better, but the X3 M I'm looking at has the 21s and the M Sport Seats which are the most important things to me anyway.....

I just would hate to be down the road and get mad at myself every time I see a Competition. I hate that BMW did this, I almost want to go normal X3 M to protest the Comp movement
Regret will keep you up at night!! I got the comp zero regret! (& I know you requested non-comp owners)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 11:03 PM   #3
redcrxsi
Private
Rep
Drives: F97 x3m

I got a non-comp.

Regrets mmm I mean I could be faster

Easy fix though when I’m ready.

Things I didn’t like about the comp
21in wheels - I like the 20’s better but I’ll just turn them into winter wheels in a year and get some something else. Personal opinion obviously.

I didn’t like interior comp badge or the rear comp badge. Yes I know easy to change or debadge.

Reality is that even the non comp is dangerously fast and handles very well. Is the comp version slightly better, yep no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 11:25 PM   #4
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Few questions. Are you planning to tune the engine? Are you anyway planning to install an aftermarket exhaust? If both yes, just get the non-comp. If both no, I personally would take the comp.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 12:52 AM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I'm in the market but not an owner yet. For me it comes down to minimal price jump on a lease if going for 21s, sport seats, and plan to black out grille and side vents. It's like $35/mo difference if you're getting all that on the base. So it's gonna be comp for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 07:42 AM   #6
Wiles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.5i MSport manual, 2020X3M

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [0.00]
No Regrets, but some random options, not on the comp but the X3 M40i

I own both a 2018 G01 X3 M40i which I like so much I added a 2020 X3M non Comp, Premium pkg, 21, and the Comp Seats with ventilation. Yes my garage is looks funny, X3M X3 M40i and a Z4

Changes, one thing. I did not like the chrome grills so for a few 100 bucks I ordered OEM X3M comp grills and side grills which are black. This fixed a possible regret.

Things I don't love are fuel economy which is not a good as the X3 M40i. Better than advertised so its fine. I don't like "Efficient mode" as it dumbs down the throttle, and make the car feel slow.

I would have ordered the space saver delete option, as the space saver eats a lot of space when compared to my no space saver X3 M40i. it was already on the showroom floor and the deal was great so, no regret there. Just a small preference.

Between the two the X3M vs. X3 M40i, the latter is a better family package, very quick and well done, but the seats of the X3M Comp are worth many thousands to me. I have the radar cruise control on the M40i and hate it, so I was happy to not have that option on my X3M.

The steering and suspension on the X3M are great. The ride is a bit stiff but totally acceptable.

Since both have iDrive 6 its nice as I have something consistent, but I think the X3M speedometer and tach area are cluttered compared to the other car. I had a chance to drive the new live dashed X3 30i, as a loaner. Meh, not a fan of the new dash but some may like it.

Power, I don't miss the 30 hp, of the Comp as much as I would miss the money it costs.

I never feel the car is underpowered.
Appreciate 1
scrammer421.50
      03-28-2020, 07:47 AM   #7
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I like the look of the non-comp more too. For some reason I think the chrome accents actually look better on an suv than the blacked out accents.

OP I don't think you will have any regret at all. Based on numerous reviews and feedback posted here there appears to be very little difference between the two. Unlike the F8x where most agree the comp pkg completely transforms the vehicle, that does not seem to be the case with the X3M.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

What my experience has been. Non comp with base seats and 20" wheels. A lot nicer ride, just wish it sounded more aggressive like the comp.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #9
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Neither has much sound out of the exhaust but the comp sport exhaust is noticeably better in terms of sound. I've heard/driven both in person. I would be dissatisfied with the base exhaust but I'm ok enough with the comp exhaust. That's worth $1000-$1500 of the price to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:43 AM   #10
AJA5900
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Comp

I love my x3m comp. I came from a 2017 3 wagon and neither I nor my wife has had any complaints about the ride. And we drive between pa and Nc houses
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #11
tizzyd
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i 6MT

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 335i Coupe  [8.50]
So something I should probably disclose - I am limited to the choices my family’s dealer has because I am not going to make them order a new one or dealer trade.

The Comp we have is Phytonic Blue/Tartufo with the matte open pore wood (which I hate). The base one is the one that started all of this as I kept walking past it and it kept catching my eye. The base is Black Sapphire/Sakhir M sport seats/21s. My heart says the base because I love how it looks but I keep seeing the Comp and thinking I’m going to regret it. I drove it around the parking lot and noticed it definitely did sound better.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #12
JFerraro819
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

if you buy the best model you never have to think about what your missing
Appreciate 1
ptan559.50
      03-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #13
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So something I should probably disclose - I am limited to the choices my family’s dealer has because I am not going to make them order a new one or dealer trade.

The Comp we have is Phytonic Blue/Tartufo with the matte open pore wood (which I hate). The base one is the one that started all of this as I kept walking past it and it kept catching my eye. The base is Black Sapphire/Sakhir M sport seats/21s. My heart says the base because I love how it looks but I keep seeing the Comp and thinking I’m going to regret it. I drove it around the parking lot and noticed it definitely did sound better.
Take the comp. You can change the interior trim later, if it really continues to bother you. Also blue/tartufo combo is super cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #14
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

An extra $7k that I probably can't utilize on the street and no point in tracking such a boat, so...no regrets on my end. It's a lease, gone in less than 3yrs, so again, no regrets. It has plenty of oomph for me.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #15
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
An extra $7k that I probably can't utilize on the street and no point in tracking such a boat, so...no regrets on my end. It's a lease, gone in less than 3yrs, so again, no regrets. It has plenty of oomph for me.
First time seeing somebody calling X3M “a boat”. If you don’t care much about the performance, why didn’t you lease a RAV4 or CR-V? Would save you a ton of money and gone in less than 3 years.
Appreciate 1
ptan559.50
      03-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #16
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
First time seeing somebody calling X3M “a boat”. If you don’t care much about the performance, why didn’t you lease a RAV4 or CR-V? Would save you a ton of money and gone in less than 3 years.
Never said I didn't enjoy it. It's 4500lbs; it's still a boat.

Appreciate 1
scrammer421.50
      03-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #17
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:

Do I regret the 30 hp? Na, tune will change that plus I don’t see too many stock comps hitting good 0-60 (I hit 3.68 bone stock in my non Comp).

Do I regret 21”s? Nope, faster with 20”s and better ride I assume.

I don’t know how much of a sound difference there is from both, is it THAT much better?

M sports are probably a cool feature but you can get that on non comp.

I blacked out everything so I am OK with looks. No regrets.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 08:12 PM   #18
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

I test drove a comp and an x3 m40i. Both were nice... they weren’t negotiating much on the m40i so I have to pivot towards the x3m which they needed to get off their lots. I liked the comp but I could not get comfortable in the sport seats. I didn’t want to compromise and be miserable for three years. I like the black trim, and the performance exhaust... but the seats were a deal killer for me. Got a non comp with 21’s and regular sport seats. Only thing I would consider a regret would be the exhaust and trim bits which can be changed if I want)
In terms of hp. I can barely utilize the power I have now.... an extra 30 is more of a waste for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:46 AM   #19
BeyondVision
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M; Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Not to hijack, but I am in a bit of a similar boat trying to decide between m40i/3m/3mcomp, i don't think the stiff ride is something I am that concerned of, but the reviews I have read, is saying that you cant really unleash the power of the M/comp unless you are 3/4K rpm up. Have 2 kids (2/5yrs) so I am trying to figure out what would be best. Other car is a stelvio and this one will be mine. Brain is telling me m40i is most practical and save the money, my heart is telling me i'd wish i had M or M/comp...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:45 AM   #20
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondVision View Post
Not to hijack, but I am in a bit of a similar boat trying to decide between m40i/3m/3mcomp, i don't think the stiff ride is something I am that concerned of, but the reviews I have read, is saying that you cant really unleash the power of the M/comp unless you are 3/4K rpm up. Have 2 kids (2/5yrs) so I am trying to figure out what would be best. Other car is a stelvio and this one will be mine. Brain is telling me m40i is most practical and save the money, my heart is telling me i'd wish i had M or M/comp...
I'll speak based on test drives of M40i, X3M and X3MC and owning M340i (which is seriously quick). M40i feels peppy down low but does not tingle your spine to redline and doesn't feel notably fast to me. You really need to drive the X3M/C to get a feel for it but power does not come on significantly until 3k+ RPMs. Below that it is really quite slow. However, the transmission does do an excellent job shuffling gears in D2 or D3 to keep it feeling strong and throttle response is great in sport or sport+. So if you don't like driving in upper RPMs, you will not enjoy the X3M but if you can do that, it is very fast and exciting.

The X3M/C suspension is stiff but very liveable IMO (no kids for me) and only incrementally more stiff than M40i with adaptive suspension and runflats. Base X3M is baaaarely more comfortable than the comp which is negligible to me. Handling and stability is substantially better in X3M vs M40i.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7836.00
      03-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #21
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondVision View Post
I will be honest... after the test drives i had my heart set on the m40i. I have two kids ages 9 and 11, and they were used to the plush ride of our x5. I felt the ride in the x3m would bother them, and personally i didnt feel like hearing it everytime we went out in the car.
Financials eventually played the deciding factor in my car choice. My x3m base has exec pack and 21's with a sticker of a little over 76K. the m40i i built wasn't even fully loaded, had a sticker of abt 64 and change. after sitting there for a few hours talking and negotiating..i wound up getting my x3m for 750 a month with taxes and fees paid up front. the m40i clocked in at 690 a month with taxes and fees paid up front. (this was back in november before the incentives got even better)
I was comfortable enough with the numbers on the x3m that i balked on the m40i. no regrets.... i agree with others.. down low it feels like a 4500lb suv. once you hit the sweet spot you pull... and pull... and pull.

kids dont seem to mind the ride... wife hates it.... but i love it...no regrets...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 01:05 PM   #22
BeyondVision
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M; Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Transfer thanks for the input. Seems like higher RPMs is where it really shines. I had an STI a bit ago and the EJ only liked high RPMs.

DC F97 lol your situation is exactly what I am looking at. Realistically I think the m40i would be better when all family members are in it, but we are talking about a marginal difference (relatively) on monthly payments. That is, if I can find one similarly spec'd. I would be looking for one around your sticker. Also kind of like the dash and i6 a bit better. I am sure my wife will hate it as well!
Appreciate 0