BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-12-2020, 05:15 AM   #1
jmkworld
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 x3

2013 BMW X3 Bimmtertech Carplay MMI Install

Any recommendations / membersthat could help (will pay ) to install the bimmertech carplay mmi & backup camera located in Massachusetts?

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/products...fit-carplaymmi
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 11:49 AM   #2
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e36ic, 2013 x3

why not do it yourself?

Go day I bought a 2013 X3 28i in Oct of last year and installed a backup, a forward facing cameras as well as a wifi mirroring device to put my android phone on the information screen. I bought a unit from Emerald Integration. They are a us based company with outstanding customer service by Sean. I think it was under $500. You may think its a complicated job but its not if you take your time and go slow. The steps that are the most difficult are running your wires under the trim, but if you take your time you can do it. I am disabled and because of that it took me a little longer as I have to pace myself but I was able to do a great job. As far as the mmi unit and cameras they are plug and play and as good a fit as OEM BMW. I installed the units as well as a hard wired radar detector and a dash cam that records with out, having to cut or splice any factory wires. I live in Mass in Braintree just south of Boston and would be willing to help you with the install if you would like. If you would like to get together you could see my sav and how the system was installed and how it works. I am around a lot of the time as I don't work. I looked into having it installed but was not impressed with the response I got back. The avg was $300 and after talking with the tecs I decided I was better off giving it a shot, you don't want someone installing this that hasn't worked on a BMW. They will cut and splice wires and you don't want that if you can help it. BMW electrical systems are very sensitive and any fluctuation in voltage changes and you will have issues. I am not saying there isn't someone out there that will take the time to do it right but we all know most are only interested in the extra $150 that we BMW owners seem to have to pay. If you want to get together I would be happy to. IM me if you like Jack O'B
Appreciate 2
      03-12-2020, 11:52 AM   #3
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

1 more thing

Also you don't need to replace your screen as the system puts both cameras and your phone on the screen you have.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:32 PM   #4
jsn1
Enlisted Member
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 F26

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleob View Post
Go day I bought a 2013 X3 28i in Oct of last year and installed a backup, a forward facing cameras as well as a wifi mirroring device to put my android phone on the information screen. I bought a unit from Emerald Integration. They are a us based company with outstanding customer service by Sean. I think it was under $500. You may think its a complicated job but its not if you take your time and go slow. The steps that are the most difficult are running your wires under the trim, but if you take your time you can do it. I am disabled and because of that it took me a little longer as I have to pace myself but I was able to do a great job. As far as the mmi unit and cameras they are plug and play and as good a fit as OEM BMW. I installed the units as well as a hard wired radar detector and a dash cam that records with out, having to cut or splice any factory wires. I live in Mass in Braintree just south of Boston and would be willing to help you with the install if you would like. If you would like to get together you could see my sav and how the system was installed and how it works. I am around a lot of the time as I don't work. I looked into having it installed but was not impressed with the response I got back. The avg was $300 and after talking with the tecs I decided I was better off giving it a shot, you don't want someone installing this that hasn't worked on a BMW. They will cut and splice wires and you don't want that if you can help it. BMW electrical systems are very sensitive and any fluctuation in voltage changes and you will have issues. I am not saying there isn't someone out there that will take the time to do it right but we all know most are only interested in the extra $150 that we BMW owners seem to have to pay. If you want to get together I would be happy to. IM me if you like Jack O'B
Hello!

Where did you put the Interface Box? Behind the screen?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #5
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the not quick reply I got the mmi from emerald integration in I believe they are in California ordered on line @ https://www.emeraldintegrations.com/.

They have a great tec guy named Sean that can walk you through connections and set up if you need it but it was pretty straight forward install. You can pm me if you need again sorry for the late reply
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 11:56 AM   #6
lohithm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i (2013)

Hello littleob
Thank you for carrying out a detailed explanation on your thread. It was quite insightful. However, I’d like to ask you if you’d be able to help me set up the same on the same car that I purchased a couple of days ago please?
Please kindly let me know if that works for you.

Best,
Lohith
Appreciate 0