BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #45
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Quote:
ASS doesn't remember last setting.
Try Bimmercode
Nah
So you would rather "hate" that ASS doesn't hold the last value set than change it...ok, makes sense lol
My wife's car she's gotta deal with it lol
Maybe if she knew there was an option that addressed it, she'd be onboard!
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #46
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

There is no way that BMW will take away ASS, since this is the key feature to enable better gas mileage figure on most of their cars.

Imagine a hypothetical scenario that a car company is not complaint with overall average gas mileage mandates (which by the way is getting tighter and tighter) and forced to stop selling cars in certain countries? :

What's the alternative? Car companies are forced to make cars with small engines only? All electric? I surely don't want to find out my next BMW is only available without the choice of a nice I6 or V8 any more.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41908.00
      03-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #47
Eclimax13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
Hate is a strong word. Most gripes of technical issues with how our X3s operate are due to ignorance. Reading the manual does wonders. Just saying.

I agree 100% and to be transparent, I have a fully loaded M40i. In addition to CarPlay (wife uses it), with text messages and Android it works just fine lol. Voice control or you can even use the hand gesture and say "text messages". I think it also works with skipping tracks but I like the wheel as well.

16,000 miles so far and I am OK to say there's not a thing I "hate" but there is always room for improvement.
Easy guy. This is a fun thread and not to be taken too heavily. But as for your read the manual comment, I'd love to hear where I'd find solutions to any of my gripes in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #48
Eclimax13
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestuarts View Post
You can turn off the auto zoom. I believe you press the option button on the center console to access the menu. Try that option button at any screen.
Thanks man. But reread what I wrote.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #49
Eclimax13
Private First Class
Rep

Just an FYI. In order to receive text messages from Android, you need to have bmw office which is only available with the enhanced Bluetooth option. Enhanced Bluetooth can be coded by does not come standard.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:41 PM   #50
leogrrl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 x30i

I absolutely love the way my X3 drives, looks, and feels. I'm four months and nearly 2,000 miles in, and it makes me happy every day. There's nothing I "hate" about it -- but I am definitely annoyed by pervasive electronics gremlins.

I've been experiencing several issues that I need the dealer to look at. For example, after I start the engine, I get a "fob isn't recognized; engine can't be started" message about half the time with one of the fobs. I switched to the other fob and now still hear the sound that I know to be linked with that error message, though the error message doesn't show.

In this same category is the auto-lock feature. It doesn't lock! The "Genius" confirmed that all settings are on, but still, it doesn't work.

There are other electronics settings that I think I should be able to change from the menu, rather than coding it myself. For example: turning off the auto-stop feature, turning off the safety warning that pops on screen at each start, and preventing the trunk from opening when the car is locked. And in general, the electronics seems to perform erratically -- such as different start-up experiences (sometimes (rarely) I see the start-up animation, sometimes I see the still image, sometimes it's a message/text). I've also encountered CarPlay dropping, and the stereo going silent when I back up. The CD player (HK) takes forever to recognize a disc, and the fast-forwarding/rewinding within songs lags and is extremely slow. One day, my back-up camera didn't work. The next day, and ever since, it has.

I don't feel up to programming the code-able settings in Bimmercode myself -- it seems a bit daunting. And the dealer says they'd need the car for several days mid-week to address these issues, which has been tough with my work schedule and the distance to the dealer. But I've got to get there soon.

So, I love the car -- It's the most refined vehicle I've owned. But I sure wish the electronics were on par with the engine and performance overall.

Last edited by leogrrl; 03-01-2019 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #51
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Love my car......More than any BMW I've owned. But - I have a 30i with those silver exhaust tips - the right side gets carbon deposits literally everyday I have to wipe off with the sole of my shoe. Annoying. Really. Annoying. #firstworldproblems
      03-01-2019, 10:52 PM   #52
leogrrl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 x30i

P.S. Adding one more item to my list above: I really wish the silver plastic section of the rear bumper -- diffuser? -- were body-colored. I read that it's available in carbon fiber (maybe for the M edition) but I have not been able to find it. It's an eye-sore on an otherwise beautiful car.
      03-02-2019, 12:31 AM   #53
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by leogrrl View Post
P.S. Adding one more item to my list above: I really wish the silver plastic section of the rear bumper -- diffuser? -- were body-colored. I read that it's available in carbon fiber (maybe for the M edition) but I have not been able to find it. It's an eye-sore on an otherwise beautiful car.
Get it wrapped
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:15 AM   #54
MattXYZ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01) M40i, X5 (F15) 40d

I hate that BMW only provide 1 normal key with display key (as part of UK Technology Pack)

I don’t even use the display key! I don’t think there’s anything I can’t do via the connected app.

I think remote control parking was supposed to be a feature that can only be controlled by the display key - but that’s not enabled in UK. Not sure if it’s enabled anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:55 AM   #55
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXYZ View Post
I hate that BMW only provide 1 normal key with display key (as part of UK Technology Pack)

I don’t even use the display key! I don’t think there’s anything I can’t do via the connected app.

I think remote control parking was supposed to be a feature that can only be controlled by the display key - but that’s not enabled in UK. Not sure if it’s enabled anywhere.
Isn’t there a legal requirement to be in control of your car? I.e. physically inside it to move it? But that’s just a guess.
      03-02-2019, 02:35 AM   #56
MattXYZ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01) M40i, X5 (F15) 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonhead View Post
Isn’t there a legal requirement to be in control of your car? I.e. physically inside it to move it? But that’s just a guess.
I think it’s a function available on 7 series currently.

I don’t really have a use for the remote parking. But there have been times when some ?£&@ has parked too close to my drivers side door making it impossible to get in that side - it would be great in that situation to remote control drive the car out of the tight space!! That’s much better than getting in on passenger side and having to climb across!
Appreciate 2
Spoonhead362.50
JustChris17483.00
      03-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #57
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
I absolutely love the way my X3 drives, looks, and feels. I'm four months and nearly 2,000 miles in, and it makes me happy every day. There's nothing I "hate" about it -- but I am definitely annoyed by pervasive electronics gremlins.

I've been experiencing several issues that I need the dealer to look at. For example, after I start the engine, I get a "fob isn't recognized; engine can't be started" message about half the time with one of the fobs. I switched to the other fob and now still hear the sound that I know to be linked with that error message, though the error message doesn't show.

In this same category is the auto-lock feature. It doesn't lock! The "Genius" confirmed that all settings are on, but still, it doesn't work.

There are other electronics settings that I think I should be able to change from the menu, rather than coding it myself. For example: turning off the auto-stop feature, turning off the safety warning that pops on screen at each start, and preventing the trunk from opening when the car is locked. And in general, the electronics seems to perform erratically -- such as different start-up experiences (sometimes (rarely) I see the start-up animation, sometimes I see the still image, sometimes it's a message/text). I've also encountered CarPlay dropping, and the stereo going silent when I back up. The CD player (HK) takes forever to recognize a disc, and the fast-forwarding/rewinding within songs lags and is extremely slow. One day, my back-up camera didn't work. The next day, and ever since, it has.

I don't feel up to programming the code-able settings in Bimmercode myself -- it seems a bit daunting. And the dealer says they'd need the car for several days mid-week to address these issues, which has been tough with my work schedule and the distance to the dealer. But I've got to get there soon.

So, I love the car -- It's the most refined vehicle I've owned. But I sure wish the electronics were on par with the engine and performance overall.
I feel your pain about electronic gremlins... Regarding iDrive configurable items such as auto-lock, if the function does not work for you even though it was checked off in iDrive, try unchecking it. Turn off car, turn car back on, then go back to iDrive and recheck the same function - and see if you can get this to work. I've seen several examples of success.

Regarding car not detecting presence of key fobs - I had a couple of incidences when I put the fob and my smart phone in cup holder, started car ok, but have the error message popped up. Obviously, if the car totally could not find/detect the key fob, it would not have allowed me to start the engine in the first place. Not sure if the error came from key fob in the cup holder, or the proximity of key to my phone causing interference. Keeping key fob in my pocket never gives me any issues.

Good luck. I also do not 'hate' anything about my X3 but obviously no car under the Sun is absolutely perfect.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #58
DavidLE46/F36
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430iGC & 2006 330Ci vert

Nothing hated after 1 year of ownership 👍🏼

2006 E46 vert - Black w/Montana, 330, Sport, 6 Speed Manual, Dynavin N7, Harmon.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #59
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I hate it wasn't available sooner.

Finally an X3 sizers BMW SUV that is top of the class!
BMWZ41908.00
      03-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #60
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Give me a chance, I've only had it a day!

I was going to change the kidney grills, but the wife actually came out and said how nice they are. So it looks like they might be staying.
      03-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #61
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonhead View Post
Give me a chance, I've only had it a day!

I was going to change the kidney grills, but the wife actually came out and said how nice they are. So it looks like they might be staying.
The whole Cerim grey is well done on dark cars. I've had so much gloss black MPerf kit I'm liking the change and it's a cool contrast...resist!
      03-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #62
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Actually one of the reasons I went with the cheaper Advantage edition here, I.e. base model and not xLine. Looks more ugly, and cost more money.

And I just want to chip in on the legal aspect on many "complaints", I believe BMW would have put them as options in iDrive, if it was legally possible in the target market. Like the legal disclaimers, remember ASS setting, and perhaps exhaust flap control. And I believe somebody talked about one more here..

And some on the complaints seems to come from uninformed sales people. And some details are actually hard to figure out, since they are not documented well in our manual, or the Technical Training guide. Sad.
      03-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #63
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Quote:

I feel your pain about electronic gremlins... Regarding iDrive configurable items such as auto-lock, if the function does not work for you even though it was checked off in iDrive, try unchecking it. Turn off car, turn car back on, then go back to iDrive and recheck the same function - and see if you can get this to work. I've seen several examples of success.

Regarding car not detecting presence of key fobs - I had a couple of incidences when I put the fob and my smart phone in cup holder, started car ok, but have the error message popped up. Obviously, if the car totally could not find/detect the key fob, it would not have allowed me to start the engine in the first place. Not sure if the error came from key fob in the cup holder, or the proximity of key to my phone causing interference. Keeping key fob in my pocket never gives me any issues.

Good luck. I also do not 'hate' anything about my X3 but obviously no car under the Sun is absolutely perfect.
I have read about two people with bad fobs as well. Can be something to test and have dealer replace.

And when playing with iDrive settings and gremlins, remember that the HU does not turn off immediately, which might also explain why it might look different when "starting up", from just a short break.
One number seems to be 7 minutes.

And perhaps there is something that blocks this particular HU to turn off, to clean up its settings at the following startup, which might also explain strange behavior. I guess I have been in the embedded business too long now. :-)

And I actually don't hate anything with my X3, yet. When the summers come on, I am sure I will regret the cheaper and more comfortable 225/60-18 tires. But that hate should be directed to myself, and being to careful with money. :-)
      03-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #64
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclimax13 View Post
Easy guy. This is a fun thread and not to be taken too heavily. But as for your read the manual comment, I'd love to hear where I'd find solutions to any of my gripes in the manual.
It's real easy guy. If you read your manual, you would know that my manual and your manual are not the same. Each individual owner gets a customized manual and it is more than likely that no two are exactly the same. They are offered in digital format with videos so if you haven't already, make a BMW account and watch the videos yourself. When it comes to technical issues, all the answers are there. Your personal manual will be something like:

https://bao.bmwgroup.com/bao-rd/#/bmw/(your VIN# here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclimax13 View Post
So far I love this vehicle. I've had so much enjoyment driving it and discovering all the hidden features and tricks it has. But I have some complaints.

1. The autozoom feature during navigation is awful. It zooms out way to far. I've had to leave it in manual zoom. Hopefully Bmw fixes this in an update.
2. Can't receive text in a $60,000 vehicle??? I've read that this can easily be enabled but with so many other cars that do this including my previous, this should be standard.
3. Wind noise seems to be excessive.
4. No track forward or reverse on the steering wheel. This should be on every wheel. Luckily I was able to assign a gesture to do this.
5. No spare really limits my choice of tires when they need to be replaced. Will have to stick with rft's.
6. No remote start feature. Could have at least given the ability to turn on the rear defrost, heated seated and heated steering wheel from the app.
Let me try again because I was trying to help. I thought SamS did a good job responding. You have no "solutions" because half of what you posted are not gripes but technical issues or personal preferences that are addressed in the manual.

1. IMO, I hope they leave it alone. It zooms out just right for long trips. I set the zoom distance via voice command for city driving when I need it to stay close and not move. If you are not using the HUD or the navi display on your dash, you are doing it wrong.

2. You answered your own question here but you should see what doesn't come standard with a $100,000 Porsche There are plenty of cheaper options out there if $60K without text messaging is too expensive or poor value in your opinion. BMW likes to take our money. We are all free to take our chips and go play elsewhere.

3. This can be considered a gripe. There are a few threads you can read to help you with this problem. I don't have this issue until I get up over 100 MPH, but by that time, I'm not worried about wind noise.

4. Maybe you got the right steering wheel, but I sure as hell didn't. The track wheel is your friend here and it's been discussed before. Gesture / voice control is even better. Glad to see more go this route. IMO, it's the future. The less buttons, the better.

5. You hate that there is no spare tire? I didn't want a spare tire, so I optioned not to get one. You could have done the same. It's the same as saying "I HATE I have a spare tire!!!!" If you let this one slip, you have no one to hate but yourself.

6. Can this be considered a gripe? I guess. Not an issue for me but will be an available option soon.

I have fun everyday and enjoy what I can while I can.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41908.00
      03-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #65
Eclimax13
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
It's real easy guy. If you read your manual, you would know that my manual and your manual are not the same. Each individual owner gets a customized manual and it is more than likely that no two are exactly the same. They are offered in digital format with videos so if you haven't already, make a BMW account and watch the videos yourself. When it comes to technical issues, all the answers are there. Your personal manual will be something like:

https://bao.bmwgroup.com/bao-rd/#/bmw/(your VIN# here)

Let me try again because I was trying to help. I thought SamS did a good job responding. You have no "solutions" because half of what you posted are not gripes but technical issues or personal preferences that are addressed in the manual.

1. IMO, I hope they leave it alone. It zooms out just right for long trips. I set the zoom distance via voice command for city driving when I need it to stay close and not move. If you are not using the HUD or the navi display on your dash, you are doing it wrong.

2. You answered your own question here but you should see what doesn't come standard with a $100,000 Porsche There are plenty of cheaper options out there if $60K without text messaging is too expensive or poor value in your opinion. BMW likes to take our money. We are all free to take our chips and go play elsewhere.

3. This can be considered a gripe. There are a few threads you can read to help you with this problem. I don't have this issue until I get up over 100 MPH, but by that time, I'm not worried about wind noise.

4. Maybe you got the right steering wheel, but I sure as hell didn't. The track wheel is your friend here and it's been discussed before. Gesture / voice control is even better. Glad to see more go this route. IMO, it's the future. The less buttons, the better.

5. You hate that there is no spare tire? I didn't want a spare tire, so I optioned not to get one. You could have done the same. It's the same as saying "I HATE I have a spare tire!!!!" If you let this one slip, you have no one to hate but yourself.

6. Can this be considered a gripe? I guess. Not an issue for me but will be an available option soon.

I have fun everyday and enjoy what I can while I can.
Again guy. Relax lol. You seem very offended that I have things I would like to be different. Again, this is a just for fun thread where everyone can contribute things they don't like about their cars. And you seem to assume a lot. But again, reading the manual will not magically fix what's in my original post. Since I purchased my vehicle certified, I had no option when it came to the spare tire. I knew it was not optioned and I still purchased the car because I loved the driving experience. Instead of these long winded posts and assuming I haven't read the manual, why don't you join the conversation and tell us what you would change, if you could, about your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:47 AM   #66
deborahr124
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

X3 Seats Very Uncomfortable

I have had a 2004 X5, 2013 X3, 2016 X3 and now a 2019 X3. I was so excited to get all the new, cool features and safety equipment in this X3. As well as ventilated seats. I have always been able to get in the new car, set the seat position and happily drive off. I've picked up all 3 X3's at the Performance Center in SC and could drive the 7 hours without stopping, other than maybe lunch and a bathroom break. I've been able to drive to Atlanta, 6 hours away, without stopping. The 2019 seats looked to be so comfortable, but the driver's seat has been awful! I haven't yet sat in the passenger seat to see if there is a difference. I was practically in tears driving home. The right side of my bottom was in agony after about an hour of driving. It feels like my bone is hitting something hard and the pain goes down my leg, probably sciatica. Not sure what I can do. I have an appointment with service tomorrow. I don't want to use a cushion because I use the heated seats alot. Anyone else have the issue and figured out how to be more comfortable?
Other beefs:
I'm 5'3" and the seat extender gets in the way of my legs making my ability to position myself comfortably in the seat.
The lumbar support doesn't seem to go as low as it did on my other X3's so it doesn't hit me in my lower back, where I really need it.
I ordered the non run flat tires, which come with a spare. No one told me that it reduces the cargo area. There is a lip on the raised trunk area which takes room away. If I had known I would have gotten the run flats and switched to regular tires when they wore out, as I have done with the other 2 X3's.
The color of the speed on the HUD cannot be changed to be white during the day and orange at night. It changes from white to orange when you're over the speed limit. Hard to see on the HUD with polarized sunglasses on and the white is annoying at night.
There is no wheel to adjust from cold to hot on the instrument panel. I don't like having to go into the menu to move it.
There are things I love about the car, but the comfort is a major issue for me.
Appreciate 2