BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
neonmods
Rep
Drives: X3 15' MSport

Durability after mods

Hi,

I currently own a 2015 35I with 80 000 Miles and i am looking to put a catless VRSF downpipe and a stage 1 tune.

Should i be worry about the Turbo, engine, transmission or any other component that might need remplacement soon due to the mods made.

I rarely push the car to the limit, i might hit the boost once a week at maximum, i run like a grand-pa !!

The main reason, is i want more power when i get the pedal to the floor.

Thanks for your feedback
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
The catless downpipe is actually easier on the car than a having a cat. The turbo has to push all the air through the cat and makes a large restriction and forces the turbo to work harder. Without that restriction, air flows easier and makes the turbo happier.

A stage one tune is usually pretty mild. As long as you do not beat on the car cold and change the oil regularly, everything should be fine.

The trans will hold all the power the N55 will make with FBO, engine will hold it as well, and the turbo is good until about 100k miles.

To help with the turbo's survival, after you drive the car hard you should let it run for a little to let the oil flow and cool down.

I recommend BM3 stage 1 OTS map.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
neonmods
Rep
Drives: X3 15' MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolX3 View Post
The catless downpipe is actually easier on the car than a having a cat. The turbo has to push all the air through the cat and makes a large restriction and forces the turbo to work harder. Without that restriction, air flows easier and makes the turbo happier.

A stage one tune is usually pretty mild. As long as you do not beat on the car cold and change the oil regularly, everything should be fine.

The trans will hold all the power the N55 will make with FBO, engine will hold it as well, and the turbo is good until about 100k miles.

To help with the turbo's survival, after you drive the car hard you should let it run for a little to let the oil flow and cool down.

Great, i just order the Downpipe,

What you do recommend for the turbo when i will be around 100K miles, and where to buy ?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #4
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonmods View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolX3 View Post

Great, i just order the Downpipe,

What you do recommend for the turbo when i will be around 100K miles, and where to buy ?
No need to replace the turbo before it fails. It will give signs of failure before it completely explodes, then is the time to replace. When it's time to replace, a dealer or a trusted Indy shop is best.
Appreciate 1
pokerface429.50
      05-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #5
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

those engine are pretty solid.

A simple tune would be just fine. Some people got bigger numbers on those n55, and wont have issues.

a stage 1, no mods should be around 36X bhp and 38X tq.
Which are not ''that'' crazy numbers for a 3.0 6cyl.

Get few cotes, price are from 350$ to high 1000$.

-saw some ecu tune from europe, exchange rate + shipping it was near 2000$ cad.
- a local tuner shop was 1000$ cad
- MHD is around 500$ cad
- And some folks with a computer, a cable and a VIN license is around 350$.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 05:26 PM   #6
MSportTune2
First Lieutenant
Aland Islands
Rep
Drives: F30 MSport

When you add power, make sure your brakes can handle it. I always upgrade brakes, rim and tires than decide on any power mods.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #7
335iAP
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 & F26

You sound like me. Drive the car pretty tame most of the time but like having it tuned and modded. More power will always increase the wear and tear a bit but I've tuned my X4 and my 335i before that to stage 1.5ish, drove like a granny 85% of the time and never had an issue. Just make sure the work is done right, and you'll probably want to replace your charge pipe if you're turning up the boost.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSportTune2 View Post
When you add power, make sure your brakes can handle it. I always upgrade brakes, rim and tires than decide on any power mods.
based on what? have you done brake distance testing ? have you done brake endurance testing?

OP wants to do acceleration, not speeding nor track. Braking distance is relative to speed and coefficient of friction (tires and braking system). you add the inertia, where the weight can be taken in consideration and finally the reaction time.

If you take all the variable and knowing OP will remain in the speed limits, the D (braking distance) will remain the same, even if the a (acceleration) is higher.
Appreciate 0