BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #45
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckydks View Post
After I saw this reply, I ran to the car. Low and behold, garage door opener! I picked it up in Germany and didn't have a garage there. If the BMW Genius told me about it, I obviously forgot. I was looking for it in the roof liner, similar to where it was on my E46 M3. It took a while for it to work, but finally got it to work. The instructions say I could use the remote, but I couldn't get that to work and ended up using the program button on the motor itself.
LOL, Plucky. Wouldn't have mattered in Germany anyways..... Different frequency over there. Ours don't work there. I had to wait to get back here to use mine....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #46
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP, 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
LOL, Plucky. Wouldn't have mattered in Germany anyways..... Different frequency over there. Ours don't work there. I had to wait to get back here to use mine....
A couple months ago, when I got keys to the house, I was thinking how dumb the X3M will look with a damn remote attached to my sun visor. At least that's gone now!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:12 PM   #47
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
A couple months ago, when I got keys to the house, I was thinking how dumb the X3M will look with a damn remote attached to my sun visor. At least that's gone now!
Yes, our cars are now where they were meant to be. If only I could convince local law enforcementr of that. Got my second ticket in less than a month (just a warning this time). I'm really starting to think I need ALPS. Having a hard time adjusting to driving in the States. I can't believe the obiqitous police presence in Maryland.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:55 PM   #48
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, our cars are now where they were meant to be. If only I could convince local law enforcementr of that. Got my second ticket in less than a month (just a warning this time). I'm really starting to think I need ALPS. Having a hard time adjusting to driving in the States. I can't believe the obiqitous police presence in Maryland.
A big part of me hopes to go back to Germany after my fellowship, for obvious reasons.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00
      06-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #49
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
A big part of me hopes to go back to Germany after my fellowship, for obvious reasons.
Can't blame you, my friend. I'm stuck here for the next 3 years for retirement purposes. I'm going to have to learn to play nice or literally "fly under the radar". I'm beginning to think option number two might be easier for me and less costly in the long run.
Appreciate 1
pluckydks621.50
      06-04-2020, 09:49 PM   #50
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Can't blame you, my friend. I'm stuck here for the next 3 years for retirement purposes. I'm going to have to learn to play nice or literally "fly under the radar". I'm beginning to think option number two might be easier for me and less costly in the long run.
If Plucky goes back to Germany and Mr. Italy goes to... Italy, we can all meet in Switzerland!
Appreciate 1
pluckydks621.50
      06-04-2020, 10:13 PM   #51
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
If Plucky goes back to Germany and Mr. Italy goes to... Italy, we can all meet in Switzerland!
I'd be first in line for that reunion..... That is, unless you upgrade your turbos....
Appreciate 1
pluckydks621.50
      06-04-2020, 10:47 PM   #52
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did drive it to Switzerland once or twice already, I'm game!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:56 PM   #53
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I did drive it to Switzerland once or twice already, I'm game!
I miss Switzerland more than I thought I would. Want to buy something near Bern and live part time there and part time in FL.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 06:07 AM   #54
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Thought of a few more for BMW:

Allow ability in iD7 to completely disable Active Sound Design [ASD] if we can't bypass it like we do with iD6.

Allow option of blacking out the chrome fake breather and front grill letters and numbers on the Comp models (like you did with the new F95/96)

Leave the front grill design as is (please don't follow the recent trends as seen in some of the newer models...)

Last edited by Max Well; 06-05-2020 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Added underline
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 06:43 AM   #55
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
I miss Switzerland more than I thought I would. Want to buy something near Bern and live part time there and part time in FL.
I'm thinking of doing something similar down the road between Italy and the US.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 08:52 AM   #56
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm thinking of doing something similar down the road between Italy and the US.
Going to build a house on the Atlantic Ocean? Haha
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00
      06-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #57
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I'm kind of glad they don't offer a factory hitch option. For those looking for one invest the $600 and three hours of your time and install a Stealth Hitch. It's way cleaner looking when you aren't using it as opposed to the look of a factory hitch. I guess for those those don't care about the clean look a factory option makes sense but I absolutely love my Stealth Hitch.
Retired: 2020 M340i xDrive
Retired: 2017 X5M
Retired: 2016 550i xDrive
Retired: 2015 X6 50i
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 11:51 PM   #58
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogFixer01 View Post
I'm kind of glad they don't offer a factory hitch option. For those looking for one invest the $600 and three hours of your time and install a Stealth Hitch. It's way cleaner looking when you aren't using it as opposed to the look of a factory hitch. I guess for those those don't care about the clean look a factory option makes sense but I absolutely love my Stealth Hitch.
Amen, brother!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 08:33 AM   #59
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

Going to disagree with that. Euro market cars get an option for an electronically folding hitch that hides away and converts to 960 USD for the option. The $600 stealth hitch is bike rack only. You're spending over $850 to get one with wiring harness and chain anchors. Then you have to install the hitch and wiring.
Appreciate 1
pluckydks621.50
      06-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #60
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
Going to disagree with that. Euro market cars get an option for an electronically folding hitch that hides away and converts to 960 USD for the option. The $600 stealth hitch is bike rack only. You're spending over $850 to get one with wiring harness and chain anchors. Then you have to install the hitch and wiring.
What is there to disagree about? No BMW in NA has a folding hitch presumably because of different regulations between the countries. I can pay $850, spend a Saturday afternoon drinking beer installing a hitch and splicing some wires and have a helluva clean looking product as opposed to the always exposed receiver that would be offered in NA. And it's $100 cheaper than this "folding" hitch you're describing. Again, if something like the stealth hitch was offered in NA from the factory I might spring for it. Just not seeing what you're disagreement is.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 10:12 PM   #61
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

Quote:
What is there to disagree about? No BMW in NA has a folding hitch presumably because of different regulations between the countries. I can pay $850, spend a Saturday afternoon drinking beer installing a hitch and splicing some wires and have a helluva clean looking product as opposed to the always exposed receiver that would be offered in NA. And it's $100 cheaper than this "folding" hitch you're describing. Again, if something like the stealth hitch was offered in NA from the factory I might spring for it. Just not seeing what you're disagreement is.
My point felt articulated enough? You feel that this vehicle shouldn't come with a hitch because it would be in view. I stated that I disagree because there are other manufacturers out there or even BMW themselves who offer either folding hitches or hidden hitches. So this vehicle doesn't need to come with a viewable hitch even if a hitch option was offered.

On the point of price, that $850 doesn't include shipping. I paid $50 for mine which makes the total price about $900. For nearly the same price BMW could offer a folding hitch like Volvo does or go with hidden hitch design that a few other vehicles have for less. For most people, a hitch install with wiring isn't DIY which means installer costs.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #62
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
Quote:
My point felt articulated enough? You feel that this vehicle shouldn't come with a hitch because it would be in view. I stated that I disagree because there are other manufacturers out there or even BMW themselves who offer either folding hitches or hidden hitches. So this vehicle doesn't need to come with a viewable hitch even if a hitch option was offered.

On the point of price, that $850 doesn't include shipping. I paid $50 for mine which makes the total price about $900. For nearly the same price BMW could offer a folding hitch like Volvo does or go with hidden hitch design that a few other vehicles have for less. For most people, a hitch install with wiring isn't DIY which means installer costs.
I never said I didn't feel it shouldn't come with an option. I stated I was happy it didn't because I could opt for something more discreet. In the decades that BMW has offered SUV's in NA they have never offered anything discreet. Also, your assumption that if they did it would be cheaper than buying a stealth hitch is purely that... an assumption. Being as the current factory option is ~ $600 I highly doubt BMW would offer something for much less than a $1000 for a system similar to the stealth hitch. The costs of design, certification, crash testing etc. would drive the price up. Not to mention now it's an OEM part with BMW stamped on it. Another assumption but we all know R&D costs money and that MFG get that back through us as consumers.

I also stated that if BMW NA offered something like the stealth hitch I might have sprung for it. In the end I was throwing out the option for those looking for a solution to their needs. I have had a great experience as have others with the stealth hitch. Wasn't looking for a disagreement about hypotheticals and what ifs because in the end there is no factory solution in NA.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #63
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok so...suggestion is to offer one as an option. If they offer it, people can choose OEM, Stealth Hitch, or whatever other aftermarket options there are. If they continue to not offer it, then Stealth Hitch or other aftermarket option.

Can you add it to the list for these guys...
Appreciate 0