Bimmerpost for Android has just been updated to version 4.3.55 with a host of bug fixes. Try it out!
BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BMW X3/X4 Forums Second Generation BMW X4 (G02) General Forum (2019+) Introducing the All-New Second Generation BMW X4

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-21-2018, 12:46 AM   #155
Mako
2000 M Roadster (sold), 2006 M Coupe (sold)
United_States
351
Rep
1,838
Posts

Drives: '16 M3 SO '16 X6 35i MW
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago suburbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
How big is it compared to the current X4? Looks much larger in the photos. Anyone know?
Only 5 inches shorter than the X6 (1st Generation) so it's pretty big sadly... probably too big for me!!
Isn't X6 about 195" and this is 187"
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 05:36 AM   #156
nozydog
Captain
nozydog's Avatar
United Kingdom
293
Rep
791
Posts

Drives: 2017 340-6MT
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bristol

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Isn't X6 about 195" and this is 187"
1st gen X6 is 192" or 4877mm... new X4 is 4752mm.

So difference is 125mm = 5" (or less)

This is a substantial size which is a pity, I will probably look at the facelifted Macan instead which will be shorter...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:32 AM   #157
X4guy
Colonel
X4guy's Avatar
No_Country
406
Rep
2,068
Posts

Drives: Bmw X4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Www

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Design wise looks like a mercedes coupe suv thing.

its way better than old model, but imho you can make a way nicer small suv - look at Macan and Velar. Those look perfect without stupid coupe shape this thing has. X6 is ok as coupe for those who want but make a sexy little SUV bmw cannot.
Convinced the reason it looks like the Merc coupe is because BMW moved the license plate to the bumper which is not a bmw norm
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #158
advantage20
Captain
advantage20's Avatar
France
280
Rep
632
Posts

Drives: 330d Touring Individual
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: France

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Convinced the reason it looks like the Merc coupe is because BMW moved the license plate to the bumper which is not a bmw norm
Indeed BMW and more generally the German premium brands traditionally have always sticked to a classical rear fascia formula with the licence plate mounted on the trunk lid in between the tail lights.

Since the 00' though many manufacturers, especially mainstream non premium makes (such as Renault) aiming to build their brand image, have started moving the licence plate down to the bumper in order to create a blank space on the trunk lid allowing to proudly showcase the brand logo at the center of the rear fascia, oftentimes with the model's name just underneath it, rather than having the licence plate at the center and having to squeeze the logo between the rear window and the licence plate.

BMW started following this trend with the E63 6er, subsequent F12 6er and upcoming G14 8er, and has now extended it to the X4, so it's very likely that all the brand's future coupés, be it classical 2 door / 4 door coupés (4er, 2er...) or Sport Activity Coupés (X6...) will adopt this styling format. (Not mentioning the roadsters from the Z3 onwards as it's probably more due to the lack of space on the trunk lid than to a trend.) BMW Sedans, Tourings and GTs on the other hand are very likely to maintain their traditional German look with the licence plate in between the rear lights. And yes, indeed Mercedes has jumped on the same train and has been pushing the trend way faster on its coupés (C Coupé, E Coupé, S Coupé, GLC Coupé, GLE Coupé, SLS AMG, AMG GT...). Same direction for Porsche who needs room on the trunk for its brand name, model name and version name as well as its now generalized light strip.

Last edited by advantage20; 02-21-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #159
Tchgrif
Private
United_States
25
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: x4 35i
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: pgh pa, USA

iTrader: (0)

I love it in pictures, and can't wait to see it in person. The interior is such an improvement. everyone poo-pooed the original too but here we are 3.5 years later and I get frequent compliments in person so.......at the end of the day I love it and I am the one who paid for it so even if everyone else hated it what does it matter? I like the rear but actually love the rear quarter panel the way the metal creased and lifts and yet tucks at the same time. look at the two intersecting lines on the gas filler panel. beautiful
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #160
X4guy
Colonel
X4guy's Avatar
No_Country
406
Rep
2,068
Posts

Drives: Bmw X4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Www

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Indeed BMW and more generally the German premium brands traditionally have always sticked to a classical rear fascia formula with the licence plate mounted on the trunk lid in between the tail lights.

Since the 00' though many manufacturers, especially mainstream non premium makes (such as Renault) aiming to build their brand image, have started moving the licence plate down to the bumper in order to create a blank space on the trunk lid allowing to proudly showcase the brand logo at the center of the rear fascia, oftentimes with the model's name just underneath it, rather than having the licence plate at the center and having to squeeze the logo between the rear window and the licence plate.

BMW started following this trend with the E63 6er, subsequent F12 6er and upcoming G14 8er, and has now extended it to the X4, so it's very likely that all the brand's future coupés, be it classical 2 door / 4 door coupés (4er, 2er...) or Sport Activity Coupés (X6...) will adopt this styling format. (Not mentioning the roadsters since the Z3 as it's probably more due to the lack of space on the trunk lid than to a trend.) The Sedans, Tourings and GTs on the other hand are very likely to maintain their traditional German look with the licence plate in between the rear lights. And yes, indeed Mercedes has gotten on the same train and has been pushing the trend way faster (C Coupé, E Coupé, S Coupé, GLC Coupé, GLE Coupé, SLS AMG, AMG GT...). Same direction for Porsche who needs room on the trunk for its brand name, model name and version name as well as the now generalized light strip.
Interesting I did a botch mspaint edit to see how it would look. Would be good to see a proper photoshop. Not sure it resolves the rear.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 06:43 PM   #161
Gonven
Lieutenant
Gonven's Avatar
291
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: BMW X6
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)





Last edited by Gonven; 02-21-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Appreciate 1
FSociety2643.00

      02-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #162
X4guy
Colonel
X4guy's Avatar
No_Country
406
Rep
2,068
Posts

Drives: Bmw X4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Www

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonven View Post



Where was this? Can we get link page?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #163
keanu1
tiamat
keanu1's Avatar
Romania
162
Rep
1,408
Posts

Drives: 525 d
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: romania

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 07:25 PM   #164
WI_Rob
Private First Class
80
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335is
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Door County, Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Strangely, this 2nd gen X4 is growing on me.

Even the rear end... yeah, there’s no doubt that it was “inspired” by the Merc team. I hated the spy shots at first. But after a few months... I’m on board. The proportions are just so much better in this generation than the last gen. It has a much better stance than the GT versions of the sedans, thankfully. The GTs are just not my thing, AT ALL.

Having a car that can actually fill the daily driver role for me and haul a bit of gear to the woods on weekends... with a sub-5 second sprint to 60... is pretty much a dream. The X4 M40i or X3 M40i appear to be pretty amazing. The question is... is the X4 better overall value than a used X6...? Depends on priorities, no doubt.

Similar thoughts out there?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 03:39 AM   #165
X4guy
Colonel
X4guy's Avatar
No_Country
406
Rep
2,068
Posts

Drives: Bmw X4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Www

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI_Rob View Post
Strangely, this 2nd gen X4 is growing on me.

Even the rear end... yeah, there’s no doubt that it was “inspired” by the Merc team. I hated the spy shots at first. But after a few months... I’m on board. The proportions are just so much better in this generation than the last gen. It has a much better stance than the GT versions of the sedans, thankfully. The GTs are just not my thing, AT ALL.

Having a car that can actually fill the daily driver role for me and haul a bit of gear to the woods on weekends... with a sub-5 second sprint to 60... is pretty much a dream. The X4 M40i or X3 M40i appear to be pretty amazing. The question is... is the X4 better overall value than a used X6...? Depends on priorities, no doubt.

Similar thoughts out there?
X6 except the //M version is dynamically inferior to the X4, it’s big and heavy and you feel it. Almost pulled the trigger to replace my 4year old X4, but it didn’t resonate. Taking my time it’s this or the Macan facelift.
Appreciate 1
FSociety2643.00

      02-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #166
WI_Rob
Private First Class
80
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335is
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Door County, Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WI_Rob View Post
Strangely, this 2nd gen X4 is growing on me.

Even the rear end... yeah, there’s no doubt that it was “inspired” by the Merc team. I hated the spy shots at first. But after a few months... I’m on board. The proportions are just so much better in this generation than the last gen. It has a much better stance than the GT versions of the sedans, thankfully. The GTs are just not my thing, AT ALL.

Having a car that can actually fill the daily driver role for me and haul a bit of gear to the woods on weekends... with a sub-5 second sprint to 60... is pretty much a dream. The X4 M40i or X3 M40i appear to be pretty amazing. The question is... is the X4 better overall value than a used X6...? Depends on priorities, no doubt.

Similar thoughts out there?
X6 except the //M version is dynamically inferior to the X4, it’s big and heavy and you feel it. Almost pulled the trigger to replace my 4year old X4, but it didn’t resonate. Taking my time it’s this or the Macan facelift.
Hmmm... from a vehicle dynamics standpoint, you’re saying:

F86 X6M > G02 X4 M40i > G02 X4 > F16 X6

That seems likely... I’m looking forward to driving these... but finding an f86 to try is not trivial!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #167
X4guy
Colonel
X4guy's Avatar
No_Country
406
Rep
2,068
Posts

Drives: Bmw X4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Www

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI_Rob View Post
Hmmm... from a vehicle dynamics standpoint, you’re saying:

F86 X6M > G02 X4 M40i > G02 X4 > F16 X6

That seems likely... I’m looking forward to driving these... but finding an f86 to try is not trivial!
Haven’t driven the M40i nor X6M...but regular X6 vs X4
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 11:51 PM   #168
TONLOVE69
Banned
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: volvo
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: bkk

iTrader: (0)

I love it! Beautiful and can still screw this up a great job!






ทางเข้า ruby888
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 03:40 AM   #169
FSociety
2020 X3M/X4M Coming Soon
FSociety's Avatar
No_Country
2643
Rep
6,128
Posts

Drives: X4 M40i / F80 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC NJ CT PA FL

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
I hope they dont' screw up the X3M and X4M ; praying for a better more aggressive front please!
__________________
F80 ZCP CTSTurbo DP/CP/HeatExchanger | Coded EuroMDM, CS EDC/Steering by @cookiesowns
WR X4 M40i CTSTurbo Downpipe/FMIC BM3 STG2 93 4.19s 0-60 | 12.4@110mph 1/4 m -- BM3 E30 3.8s 0-60 | 12.1@114mph 1/4 m
Appreciate 1
PabloK311.00

      03-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #170
zsqure
Enlisted Member
United_States
0
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: '14 Ram EcoDiesel
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: massillon, ohio

iTrader: (0)

We looked at the X4 for quite some time. Saw the Merc Coupe at the Detroit auto show and immediately forgot about the BMW. The rear seat of the first gen X4 was pitiful, the Merc had a proper rear seat that I would not be embarrassed to put my friends in. I wonder if that has been fixed in the new generation. We are very happy with the Merc. Oh, I think it will be more reliable in the long run.
__________________
"14 RAM EcoDiesel, Missin' my 328xi
'17 C300 Coupe
'09 MCCS
'14 Paceman All4
'04 MCS (R53)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #171
CrzyChris5
CrzyChris5
United_States
9
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: X4 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Sweet
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 04:50 AM   #172
Kh4N
Enlisted Member
Kh4N's Avatar
Belarus
8
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: e30 touring
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Belarus

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:10 AM   #173
SANK_CH
Captain
SANK_CH's Avatar
Switzerland
148
Rep
651
Posts

Drives: X4 2016
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

finally the X4 catalogue is available for download on bmw.de
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST