BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #1
tulumsea
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 2016

X3 Battery Questions

Hi - I'm running a test of my battery on a 2016 X3. Two questions:

1.) Is the AGM battery a Flat Plate or a Spiral type? These are two choices on the battery tester that are super confusing.

2.) Is battery registration necessary when replacing a battery? I've seen videos that skip this and other posts saying it is important. Any easy DIY way to do this?

Thank you!! New member poster
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 03:18 PM   #2
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

1) 95% sure it would be flat plate, which I think it the most common type of AGM batteries. The spiral type will look like there are cylinders in the battery - think Optima batteries.
2) Yes you'll want to register the battery. Please note that registering and coding the battery type or two different things.

Registering the battery lets the car's computer know that there is a new battery in the car, and the car will alter how it charges the battery as a result. From what I can tell the car targets a charge state of around 80% capacity, and will over charge the battery if there's a new battery in there and it's not registered. That will cause the battery to wear out quickly. I think some reported within a year, but that's probably worse case. If you don't register it, it's not going to fail tomorrow, but it will hurt the life of the battery.

There are a couple of ways to register the battery; dealer, independent shop that specializes in bmws, a scan tool with the capability (such as foxwell NT530), or there are some apps out there that you can use too. Dealer might be $150, indy might be $75, the foxwell is about $150, but there are a lot of other uses from it, and the bimmerlink ap is $30, but you'll need an OBD adaptor, so figure another $50 or so for that.

Final thing, as if there wasn't enough already, if you get a different type of battery, you'll need to tell the car that as well, and that's different than registering a new battery. It would be coding the battery type. If you stick with the same, then you don't need to to do that. The different types are AGM vs. not, and then Ah size, going in brackets from 105, 90, 80 or something like that. Save yourself the trouble and just go with the same size as what you have in there. The Ah will be on the top of the battery, so it's easy to tell. Also, I'd check BMW for the battery itself, even if you don't have them register it. It was the cheapest option for the matching 105Ah battery when I replaced mine.

Welcome and good luck!
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2021, 03:59 PM   #3
tulumsea
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 2016

Thank you WagonR! This is a perfect summary.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 06:56 PM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

If you decide to have the battery replaced, many places can do the 'registration' ; as an example I had Pep Boys install an AGM battery in my X3 (original lead acid battery) about 2 years ago - their price at $215 included install and 'registration'- pretty fair deal.

I would suggest you avoid BMW Dealers, they will charge you a nice high price.
Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2021, 05:17 PM   #5
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

It depends. I got my battery replaced for around $250 at a BMW dealership. Another BMW dealership wanted over $300 more than that.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00