BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-16-2022, 06:08 AM   #1
Kerbouchard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i ZTR

LED Fog for pre LCI Xenon X3?

Have an otherwise stock 2013 X3 sport activity package with xenon headlights.

The front fogs/cornering lights are significantly warmer in color than the main beams, which detracts from the look of the car imo.

Anyone had luck replacing these with a (I’m guessing 5000k??) led bulb that didn’t require rewiring or a bulb out notice?

If so, can you provide a link to the bulbs?

Do these come out the front, through the wheel wells or is this a “bumper off” change?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 09:49 AM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
The warmer color is actually better for fog. Fog lights should only be used in adverse visibility weather conditions as in the UK it's illegal to use your fog lights in clear weather since it dazzles other road users as well as ruins your distance vision due to the excessive foreground lighting. LEDs installed in reflector housing designed for Halogen bulbs can be even worse with excessive glare to oncoming drivers. Besides, you can't see the "look" of you vehicle from your drivers seat

If you must, the light assemblies come out from the front of the bumper without removing it. You'll probably need to do some cutting behind the light assemblies for the extra clearance as well as code the FRM to ignore the bulb checks. As least get LEDs from a reputable company that are specially designed for fog light applications.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 09:27 AM   #3
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35I

You can use LED bulbs, they fit perfectly. You will need to use Bimmercode app or similar to code of bulb check but that's easy...

You can also use Bimmercode to code the headlights to allow you to run High beams at the same time as fog lights.. so when people want to play high beam games... We win!!

Here are the ones I have in both my X5 and my X3

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BFX...b_b_asin_title
Appreciate 0