BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-09-2021, 06:51 AM   #1
crosis
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 (x35i)

Question Right Rear Light (LED portion) Not working

Vehicle: 2011 BMW X3 (F25) X35i
VIN: 5UXWX7C51BLT78947

The right rear side panel Light is having issues, specifically the LED strip within it. Everything else works fine. See photo below.

I've already tried replacing the LED driver module and ordered replacement driver boards from eBay. Both approaches didnt work.

Can i assume the LED strip is dead and should order an entire replacement rear light assembly? Or are there other troubleshooting steps i should explore?

For the record the left rear side panel light assembly works correctly.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 07:18 PM   #2
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Have you verified the new led board works by swapping it with one of the working led's? Have you verified that there is power coming to the wire that plugs into the led board? That's where I would start before replacing the $$$$ taillight.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 08:14 PM   #3
crosis
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 (x35i)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
Have you verified the new led board works by swapping it with one of the working led's? Have you verified that there is power coming to the wire that plugs into the led board? That's where I would start before replacing the $$$$ taillight.

Yes i tried using the working LED board from the left side on the right side. The LED light for the Right assembly did not turn on.

For the record the output volts from all LED controllers appears to be from 9v to 10v. I could see power travelling thru the LED wires that lead to the strip/bulbs. I do not have access to the actual LED bulbs though. I'm concerned with all the talk that these controllers fail (and apparently the LED bulbs too) that perhaps it's all due to too much voltage or current from poorly designed (and cloned) controllers.

I am no expert so was hoping for someone with more experience to chime in before throwing more good money after bad.
Appreciate 0