BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
BarlasaM
Gravity Sucks.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

2020 BMW X3 30e PHEV US-Market Pricing Guide

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Happy Ordering!!!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2020 BMW X3 PHEV PricingGuide_Retail.pdf (203.1 KB, 203 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 08:48 PM   #2
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I forget. How many miles is the battery good for?

I’m not too knowledgeable on these PHEV’s but correct me if I’m wrong, after the battery runs out the vehicle drives sluggish with very slow acceleration, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 09:22 AM   #3
BarlasaM
Gravity Sucks.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
I forget. How many miles is the battery good for?

I’m not too knowledgeable on these PHEV’s but correct me if I’m wrong, after the battery runs out the vehicle drives sluggish with very slow acceleration, right?
No, Not at all. It drives just normal. Keep in mind regardless of if you have a full battery or not, the primary powerplant is the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine). The Electric motor assist the ICE and improve fuel economy,add extra powerboost as needed and is also able to drive the vehicle for shorter distances. This is not an electric vehicle so vehicle operation stays normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #4
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep

I recently read this...

The X3 shares its hybrid powertrain with the 330e sedan, which means the core components consist of a 2.0-liter turbo-four engine, an electric motor integrated into the eight-speed automatic transmission and a 12.0-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack under the rear seat. Total system output is 252 horsepower, with the 0-62-miles-per-hour run pegged at 6.5 seconds and top speed set at a healthy 130 mph. The electric motor is rated for 80 kilowatts, equivalent to 107 hp, which is just a bit behind the 330e's motor rating of 83kw.

So do I understand this right?....So when the electric motor runs out of electricity isn’t the vehicle running from the ICE engine only which is 252 - 107 = 145 horsepower? The X3 putting out 145 horsepower would feel sluggish and have slow acceleration? Right?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 03:41 AM   #5
NordicX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40

Quote:
I recently read this...

The X3 shares its hybrid powertrain with the 330e sedan, which means the core components consist of a 2.0-liter turbo-four engine, an electric motor integrated into the eight-speed automatic transmission and a 12.0-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack under the rear seat. Total system output is 252 horsepower, with the 0-62-miles-per-hour run pegged at 6.5 seconds and top speed set at a healthy 130 mph. The electric motor is rated for 80 kilowatts, equivalent to 107 hp, which is just a bit behind the 330e's motor rating of 83kw.

So do I understand this right?....So when the electric motor runs out of electricity isn’t the vehicle running from the ICE engine only which is 252 - 107 = 145 horsepower? The X3 putting out 145 horsepower would feel sluggish and have slow acceleration? Right?
No, that is not the case. First if all that text must be from some of the early previews which some journalists did a year ago. The specs have changed a bit. (e.g acceleration 0-62 is 6.1s instead of 6.5s)

The 30e has a petrol engine of 184hp and electric engine of 109hp. The combined effect is 292hp(with a boost function which lasts 10seconds or so) without boost the combined effect is 252hp. But generally for overtaking the boost should be enough. If you want a track/performance car one probably should not look at a hybrid…. 😊

Very often with hybrids you can adjust the settings so that the car leaves a percentage of the battery untouched for maintained performance for acceleration and overtaking so if you are afraid of the 184hp standalone petrol engine not being enough you can always ensure the power like that. The cars charge back some of breaking power etc to the battery so that will also charge up the battery during driving.
Appreciate 2
asyvan164.50
BarlasaM172.00
      01-22-2020, 06:10 AM   #6
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicX3 View Post
No, that is not the case. First if all that text must be from some of the early previews which some journalists did a year ago. The specs have changed a bit. (e.g acceleration 0-62 is 6.1s instead of 6.5s)

The 30e has a petrol engine of 184hp and electric engine of 109hp. The combined effect is 292hp(with a boost function which lasts 10seconds or so) without boost the combined effect is 252hp. But generally for overtaking the boost should be enough. If you want a track/performance car one probably should not look at a hybrid…. 😊
I dunno, this one seems to do ok https://cars.mclaren.com/en/legacy/mclaren-p1/design
Appreciate 1
Alias1431794.00
      01-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #7
NordicX3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb15re View Post
Apologies, of course. That was the “classical hybrid-car” I forgot in my generalisation. Let me rephrase: “If you want a track/performance car one probably should not look at a hybrid, in case you are not a millionaire….”
Appreciate 1
BarlasaM172.00
      01-22-2020, 06:00 PM   #8
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yea, I’m afraid the 184hp standalone engine won’t be enough for me. I’m going have Toyota RAV4’s and Hyundai Tuscans passing me on the on-ramp.

I would love to purchase the X3 30e but my daily commute is 30 miles, each way, with no charging station at work. So I would be running the standalone 184hp for more than I like.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:28 AM   #9
NordicX3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yea, I’m afraid the 184hp standalone engine won’t be enough for me. I’m going have Toyota RAV4’s and Hyundai Tuscans passing me on the on-ramp.

I would love to purchase the X3 30e but my daily commute is 30 miles, each way, with no charging station at work. So I would be running the standalone 184hp for more than I like.
I agree that by having a such a long way to work without charging possibilities takes away a lot of the benefits of having a hybrid with this range, not even the new X5 or MB GLE can facilitate 60miles fully electric in real life.

When it comes to “running the 184hp standalone”. In case you are nervous about not having the full power(292hp) and are okay by consuming petrol a large part of the way, then you should be fine in case it is not super aggressive driving you want to do. So no worries about the Toyotas or Hyundais. You can run the car so that it leaves a fair bit of power reserve on electric engine and runs on petrol when you do not have enough battery and the electric motor just jumps in when you need the extra power( e.g. motorway ramps). In general driving in hybrid mode the car knows when to use electric and petrol. But it will never be an M40i, for example when it comes to sound and speed, if that is what you are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:09 AM   #10
Ravenous666
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 & 2024 BMW X3

The battery of the PHEV drive will never be empty. It's constantly charged by the generator and/or recuperation. So there is always the full power of the drivetrain available. If the battery is empty this will affect the fuel efficiency and the car can not run on electric power alone.

In addition if you charge the battery over night at home you can drive on full electric drive in the city with 0-emission.

So the benefit of a PHEV is to do short distance city trips with full electric drive resulting in low emissions as long as the electrical power comes from environmental friendly sources like solar or wind.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:37 AM   #11
NordicX3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous666 View Post
The battery of the PHEV drive will never be empty. It's constantly charged by the generator and/or recuperation. So there is always the full power of the drivetrain available. If the battery is empty this will affect the fuel efficiency and the car can not run on electric power alone.
Maybe I misunderstand above and maybe depending on the PHEV(not sure on 30e) but in many hybrids the battery can actually be temporarily "empty" in a way that the car only drives on petrol and is not able to use the power of the electric engine i.e. it does not have full power of the drivetrain. Of course, the cars charge all the time but the charging does not correspond the usage in all cases when you drive in hybrid mode. That is the case for example on my current PHEV. I will receive my 30e next week so not fully sure how it will be in that.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:46 AM   #12
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for the explanation. Even though I’m probably not the ideal candidate for one because of my daily commute, I suppose it can’t hurt to test drive one.
Appreciate 1
BarlasaM172.00
      02-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #13
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

I see production is starting as early as March first. I'm eager to see the real world all electric range for this and the X5-45e. Anyone placing an order?
Appreciate 0