BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-29-2018, 09:38 PM   #1
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
Transmission 'Whirling'

Wondering if anyone else with a X3 35i 8- Speed auto has experienced this, In 1st 2nd and 3rd gear right before before and after I shift (Only notice this in Sport mode and Paddle shifting) I hear a faint yet noticeable high pitch whirl is the only way to describe it. It happens right around 3k.

I only notice it while under light throttle which leads me to believe that it has nothing to do with the extra power the car is making.

After about 15-25 minutes of driving I no longer notice the sound.

Any ideas at what this is? Could it just be because the tranny is cold? should I get a fluid change or flush?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
mbbx5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x5

I just did a mechatronic unit swap and after pumping in the first 4 liters following the procedure my transmission was making a noise as you describe until I completed the procedure and had the fluid level correct (about 6.5 liters went in). Maybe you should change your fluid just in case its low. A couple years ago my X3 was a little low on fluid because something cracked the plastic filter/pan. The leak was not obvious because it was slowly dripping on the splash shield covering the transmission then being blow onto the exhaust and burning off/blowing away.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
That actually makes a lot of sense because I recently did a catless downpipe install and saw a little fluid leak but thought nothing of it, Ill inspect it further and take it to BMW if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlidz View Post
I just did a mechatronic unit swap and after pumping in the first 4 liters following the procedure my transmission was making a noise as you describe until I completed the procedure and had the fluid level correct (about 6.5 liters went in). Maybe you should change your fluid just in case its low. A couple years ago my X3 was a little low on fluid because something cracked the plastic filter/pan. The leak was not obvious because it was slowly dripping on the splash shield covering the transmission then being blow onto the exhaust and burning off/blowing away.
Appreciate 0