BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

FOB door/window operation

Guys, see if you can figure this out:

Unlocking car with FOB, one quick press to unlock and driver door unlocks, fine. But at same time both driver & passenger windows crack open about 1". Quick 2nd press of unlock and remaining doors unlock-fine- but both windows open another inch.

Fiddled bit w/Bimmercode convenience delay settings but can't make the slight window movement go away.

Thoughts?
Thanks/Bill
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 04:17 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
When did it start doing this? My hunch is bimmercode has done something weird to your coding, either that or your CAS module is faulty? I've never seen anything like this, though on coupes with frameless glass, the window drops 1/4" when opening the door.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Bought car from original owner 1 1/2 years ago- think it's been doing this the whole time, feels like a software glitch or something. No critical just minor nuisance.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Bought car from original owner 1 1/2 years ago- think it's been doing this the whole time, feels like a software glitch or something. No critical just minor nuisance.
That would be really annoying dealing with it for 1.5 years. I would code the CAS to default values and see if it fixes it. Then add the coding you want. Do all the windows completely open when holding the FOB unlock button?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 09:54 PM   #5
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Quote:
That would be really annoying dealing with it for 1.5 years. I would code the CAS to default values and see if it fixes it. Then add the coding you want. Do all the windows completely open when holding the FOB unlock button?
All windows roll completely down when holding FOB button depressed; they all will also go up properly on door locking. Everything seems to be fully functional aside from this unlock/slight roll down thing.

I'll re-look at parameters currently set.
Thanks/Bill
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:47 PM   #6
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
From what I know, USA cars can't roll up the windows with the FOB by default, so there was probably some custom coding done, maybe using e-sys, which has thousands of editable parameters, which when changed can really cause some weird behavior. That's why I said to set the module back to default, which I don't think something like bimmercode can do.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      12-26-2019, 11:07 PM   #7
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From what I know, USA cars can't roll up the windows with the FOB by default, so there was probably some custom coding done, maybe using e-sys, which has thousands of editable parameters, which when changed can really cause some weird behavior. That's why I said to set the module back to default, which I don't think something like bimmercode can do.
See screenshot from BimmerCode (in demo mode)...it has convenience 'closing' options.
I'll have to see if/how that app can do reset to default for individual module...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 11:20 PM   #8
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm not saying bimmercode can't set basic things like convenience closing, I don't think it can set the modules back to their factory defaults. There are thousands of parameters contained within the various control modules which require something like e-sys to code them back to the factory values.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 11:31 PM   #9
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not saying bimmercode can't set basic things like convenience closing, I don't think it can set the modules back to their factory defaults. There are thousands of parameters contained within the various control modules which require something like e-sys to code them back to the factory values.
You're probably correct. When I drill down into BimmerCode there is a language barrier in addition to a large number of parameters, yikes!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 07:08 AM   #10
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
See screenshot from BimmerCode (in demo mode)...it has convenience 'closing' options.
I'll have to see if/how that app can do reset to default for individual module...
I would make the convenient opening delay for the rears more than 0.5 seconds. That is probably whats screwing up the whole thing to have the rear delay time less than the front delay time. Make that greater than the front delay time and see if anything changes.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #11
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
Quote:
I would make the convenient opening delay for the rears more than 0.5 seconds. That is probably whats screwing up the whole thing to have the rear delay time less than the front delay time. Make that greater than the front delay time and see if anything changes.
Here is what I set with BimmerCode- rear window open delay was 1.0, changed it to 1.5.
FOB unlock still has front windows cracking slightly open; I.e. no change, hmm... this window glitch does not seem fixable w/BimmerCode.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 10:18 AM   #12
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here is what I set with BimmerCode- rear window open delay was 1.0, changed it to 1.5.
FOB unlock still has front windows cracking slightly open; I.e. no change, hmm... this window glitch does not seem fixable w/BimmerCode.
Like I said, my hunch is someone was in there with e-sys and changed something that caused this and it's not a glitch. You should recode back to default using e-sys since bimmercode is not capable.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #13
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Like I said, my hunch is someone was in there with e-sys and changed something that caused this and it's not a glitch. You should recode back to default using e-sys since bimmercode is not capable.
Maybe, but this was wife's car- previous owners were not exactly the enthusiast type but one never knows buying used.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:23 AM   #14
wooras
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530xd

Hello. Sorry for writing to old post, but having exactly the same problem and can't find how to solve it. Did you manage to fix it? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:49 AM   #15
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooras View Post
Hello. Sorry for writing to old post, but having exactly the same problem and can't find how to solve it. Did you manage to fix it? Thanks
No, never figured out solution to this, ugh.

Last edited by Wgosma; 06-14-2021 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:01 PM   #16
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

You'll see there is no basic opening delay or closing delay like in the screenshot of the demo. You don't have delay option on the front windows, all you can do is deactivate the comfort closing. Unless you want to use E-SYS or Bimmercode in expert mode and know what you are doing.

It is likely the module availability in the 2012. My 2013 has opening and closing delay as well as rear delay and sunroof delay.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 02:26 AM   #17
wooras
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530xd

One local mechanic tried changing windows delay settings but nothing changes, he thinks that module can be faulty or it was coded wrong in the past. I will try to find someone who can restore factory settings or update software.
Appreciate 0