BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-15-2021, 12:32 AM   #1
graphicjunkie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d Msport Xdrive

Identification question

Where to begin......
I bought my daughter a 2013 X3 xdrive 28i. Has a late 2012 build date on it. First car...

Recently it started to throw the notorious limp mode. Also throwing occasional code about cam sensors. Replaced both sensors, and it going into limp mode more and more. Fearing the worst, I bought a timing chain replacement kit, along with the stupid expensive tools...that will probably only be used once!

Following the directions per a great video from a vendor, I'm cruising through the process, until I get UNDER the car...

NOTHING is like the directions show.
I am not able to find the plastic loop/plug to pull for locking the crank. No kidding...I've searched for hours now, looking and feeling. Nothing.
The oil pan is aluminum, vs plastic. And it appears to be integrated into the front axle assembly. I could be wrong about that...but I looked for ANY seam along there, and couldn't find one.

Been searching here, and so far all I have been finding is talk about the lawsuit.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me "what I have"... Documentation says N20.
I haven't been able to find any different documentation regarding variances in build dates or anything. All articles I've read, images show other than what she has. All videos I've watched, show other than what she has.

So right now, I'm half tore down, and really need any solid information available on what the proper process for changing this chain will be for this configuration.

Thanks!

Last edited by graphicjunkie; 06-15-2021 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 01:14 AM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

You would benefit from accessing the BMW Technical Information System (TIS)...the 'free' site was shutdown by BMW Corporate as it was an illegal site.

You can pay to access the authorized BMW TIS site, look here https://www.bmwtis.com/#/login

This is the database of all vehicles and contains detailed step by step repair instructions for virtually any possible repair - it's the reference BMW shop Technicians use.

Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:35 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

To answer the simple part of your question, if your car has 4 cylinders it is an N20. That's all they used. I have a 2014, and although I have changed the oil several times I have not paid too much attention to what the oil pan looks like. But if you find the oil drain plug, it is threaded into the oil pan.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:40 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I assume you've seen the DIYs like this one? Not an X3 but that should not matter besides different airboxes or whatever. And it's easy to find pictures of N20 oil pans online.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-repl...part-1-removal
Appreciate 1
dtox9336.00
      06-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #5
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Great Link!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:22 AM   #6
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

I would first make sure you diagnose the timing change before you just go ahead and replace it. Maybe it's your valvetronic sensor/motor going bad? Just saying.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      06-15-2021, 08:32 PM   #7
graphicjunkie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d Msport Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I assume you've seen the DIYs like this one? Not an X3 but that should not matter besides different airboxes or whatever. And it's easy to find pictures of N20 oil pans online.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-repl...part-1-removal
First off, thanks for the feedback so far. Much appreciated.

That was actually the vendor I bought it all from, and the tutorial that I was watching. Just didn't know if it was cool to call them out.

It is a 4 cylinder, and I know that the engine it's self is an N20 from everything I've researched...and at this point, that has honestly been quite a bit. Trying to figure out if there were variants of the engine used, and if so, does the timing chain process change. More specifically, the oil drive lower portion, as you need to access the lock mechanism by the screen.

The fact that the oil pan is plastic or metal is a moot point in its self...other than the oil pan seems integrated into the front transaxle/transfer case in this scenario, and in every bit of documentation I have found, not the case.

In the video, there is a thin inspection cover with 3 bolts (if I recall) that is flat and kind of half circle shaped, that if you slide it out, you can see where the flex plate lock engages, as well as he states that you can see where the pin engages. This thing has no such inspection cover to remove. Not to mention that every image I have seen for this engine, shows the plastic oil pan, with the allen head plastic drain plug. This again is aluminum, with a 17mm drain bolt.
As I'm writing this, describing the pan made me think of just searching for it specifically by its self...and this is exactly what it looks like.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/35344001966...8AAOSwdGxgZixl
Even that shows that it's the "right" engine. But I find no reference to this configuration otherwise.

As far as troubleshooting, this is leading up to worst case scenario. But I started with the free/cheap/easy stuff, and have worked my way up to believing that it's the timing chain. Although interestingly enough, nothing I have read up on so far has mentioned the valvetronic motor as possible problem per the symptoms.

Being it was throwing limp mode only (at first), I read up on the common issues, and started addressing. Once I got to replacing the cam position sensors, THEN it actually threw a check engine code, for timing out of spec for the intake side. From there, it seemed like everything pointed at the timing chain.

I did find one video where the guy skipped the locking pin that I have been chasing for a ridiculous amount of time.

Ironically, he ended his video by saying he had to replace his engine, "due to other issues". Is that the truth, or did he just not want to admit that it caused jump and trashed his engine? I don't know. But even his was the plastic pan version.

As for the bmwtis site... I'm not cheap, but I think that paying $30 a DAY for subscription based services is asinine, and absolutely raping people. I know I'm "In need"...but I refuse that bs.
Now if I was running a business, then fine. Good tax write off @$2500/year.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #8
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x3, BMW x5

N20 with Xdrive has a front axle that passes through the oil pan which makes it a total pain in the ass to remove. The video from FCP euro is not an Xdrive car so it doesn't have a front differential shoving the front axel through the pan.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:51 PM   #9
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicjunkie View Post

As for the bmwtis site... I'm not cheap, but I think that paying $30 a DAY for subscription based services is asinine, and absolutely raping people. I know I'm "In need"...but I refuse that bs.
Now if I was running a business, then fine. Good tax write off @$2500/year.
You'd only need to use BMW's TIS for one day. So 30 bucks and you search the relevant documents, save to PDF or print out hardcopy, done. See attached PDF...this is the type of detail you find with TIS.
Good luck/Bill

Last edited by Wgosma; 06-15-2021 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 11:40 AM   #10
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

I am able to "log in" to newtis

are the rest of you not able to do the same?

(please note, I do not pay when I access it)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 12:44 PM   #11
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post
I am able to "log in" to newtis

are the rest of you not able to do the same?

(please note, I do not pay when I access it)
I can access the site, but as I recall i was 'registered', so to speak right around the time the site was being shutdown. I think right now not just anyone can log on, tho I might be incorrect (?)
Appreciate 0