BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-31-2021, 09:14 PM   #1
tom2021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 xDrive28i

End of warranty inspection

HI all,

Trust everybody is well and safe. Ready to start normal summer.
My 2017 F25 original BMW warranty expires in July. I book for end of warranty inspection. The mileage is 34,000 km (22,700 miles). Any input on what specific I will ask the dealer to check?

Reading the thread in the forums, I will ask inspection on:

- valve cover (VC) and a rubber valve cover gasket (VCG)

- oil filter housing gasket

- Coolant Hoses

- Chargepipe

- Vacuum lines

- Vanos Solenoids

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 07:30 PM   #2
tom2021
Private First Class
Rep

Brought the car in for the inspection. The verdict: the car is fine. My car is a 2017, I suppose BMW has sorted out the timing chain issues. And it is the last year of second generation X3, I suppose all other issues have been sorted out. Time will tell, I just have to maintain the car and keep my finger cross.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 09:16 PM   #3
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

You need another 40Km on the clock before you see the valve cover and oil filter housings leaking. You drive pretty modest annual mileage, your car is just about broken in 😉
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 06:54 AM   #4
tom2021
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you Wgosma.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 09:07 AM   #5
TylerDZHP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330ci ZHP 6spd, 17' X3 35i

I bought my 2017 in April with warranty through end of May and 29K miles. Pre-purchase inspection showed possibly OFHG gasket leak, vibration in rear under acceleration (thought to be rear drive shaft u-joint), oil pan gasket leaking.

They ended up replacing the rear diff, oil pan gasket, driver's side seat bottom cover on dealer trip 1. OFHG is fine, was just residual from a previous oil filter change.

For trip 2, I had developed a brake grind/drag up front and got the front pads and rotors replaced due to corrosion.

Did well in my 1.5 months of warranty coverage!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 06:37 PM   #6
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

Strange the different life of the brakes. Who knows how the previous owner handled braking.

I'm at over 94K miles on my 2015, and the only brake work I've had done is the scheduled brake fluid changes. Another one supposed to be done this month, but I'm waiting until my next oil change this summer.

The computer has been complaining about pads for several years (3700 and 4100 miles according to the computer). It was lower than that in January of 2018. And I think I still have 8mm according to the dealer the last time I was in for service to replace some diesel sensors under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 09:13 PM   #7
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

94K miles on set of front and rear pads is quite exceptional!

My car wears rear pads quicker than Fronts, if I get 40K I'm doing well on the rears.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 10:48 PM   #8
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
My car wears rear pads quicker than Fronts, if I get 40K I'm doing well on the rears.
Curious, do you have Performance Control (2VG) since it uses rear brake intervention during cornering?

Performance Control
The F25 features Performance Control (2VG), the DSC functionality of the xDrive. To increase the agility of the xDrive vehicle, the under steering tendency and the required steering angle are reduced. This is implemented by varying the torque distribution at the rear axle. The Performance Control brakes the rear inner cornering wheel when the vehicle is being driven with a sporty driving style. At the same time, the drive torque of the engine is increased to compensate for the braking torque produced. Due to the driving dynamics, the Performance Control is withdrawn at high speeds
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 12:28 AM   #9
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Performance Control- I don't know if the car has it; how does one determine that?
It does not show in a VIN decoder as an item.

I presumed on my X3 that the stability control was what was acting to modulate the rear brakes when cornering…I sensed that as rear brake life on other much older BMW sedans I've owned always outlasted the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:28 AM   #10
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Performance Control- I don't know if the car has it; how does one determine that?
It does not show in a VIN decoder as an item.

I presumed on my X3 that the stability control was what was acting to modulate the rear brakes when cornering…I sensed that as rear brake life on other much older BMW sedans I've owned always outlasted the fronts.
If VIN decoder doesn't list PC, you probably don't have it
It's included with the Dynamic Handling Package (DHP) on all models or I believe it's included with the M-sport package.

Unless you're often pushing the vehicle hard enough around turns to start sliding, I doubt the stability control is applying the rear brakes.

Not sure why rear pads on these wear faster than the fronts. Maybe since the back could be loaded with passengers, luggage, roof carrying capacity and trailer towing, the rear brakes may have more bias than a typical sedan
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #11
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have non-sport suspension, but at times I can feel the rear brakes being actuated when cornering. I live near Lake Tahoe so do some mountain driving tho I really don't push car hard in twisties.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #12
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have non-sport suspension, but at times I can feel the rear brakes being actuated when cornering. I live near Lake Tahoe so do some mountain driving tho I really don't push car hard in twisties.
I've attending several racing classes, have been tracking cars for many decades and can feel when minor adjustments are made to the handling characteristics/dynamics of the vehicle. I can not feel any rear brake interaction on my X3 when going around corners under normal driving and I even have PC. Sure if I push it to where DSC kicks in, but even then, I can only tell there may be some mild brake interaction on some of the wheel corners, more so, I feel it reducing engine power.

You must have a very sensitive feel for the vehicle's handling dynamics if you can feel rear brake interaction, without you even applying the brakes, when going around turns
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:18 PM   #13
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's not like the rear brakes are slammed, but actuated enough so that I can definitely tell the rear of the car is being 'controlled' at times rounding corners. I am braking but not heavily, so DSC is active…I would presume all the X3's have this happening by design of the stability control system….I presume one does not need "Performance Control" (option?) to have DSC actuate rear braking (?).

I don't recall this rear braking intervention on the older E39 sedans I owned; but those cars were designed/built 20+ years ago. The stability control systems were not as sophisticated back then.
Appreciate 1
Wagvfr9.00
      06-13-2021, 04:30 PM   #14
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
It's not like the rear brakes are slammed, but actuated enough so that I can definitely tell the rear of the car is being 'controlled' at times rounding corners. I am braking but not heavily, so DSC is active…I would presume all the X3's have this happening by design of the stability control system….I presume one does not need "Performance Control" (option?) to have DSC actuate rear braking (?).

If you're not pushing the vehicle in twisties, the stability control is not intervening, it's a placebo effect.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:05 PM   #15
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

And by pushing here we mean sliding.

Easier to detect in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:09 PM   #16
Weslsew
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 35i

Quote:

I think it depends on driving style. In the X3, if you gently apply the brakes when stopping, it sends more of the pressure to the rear so that the vehicle comes to a gentle stop and doesn't nose-dive. If you hit the brake pedal harder, it sends more pressure to the front to stop faster
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:15 PM   #17
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weslsew View Post
Quote:

I think it depends on driving style. In the X3, if you gently apply the brakes when stopping, it sends more of the pressure to the rear so that the vehicle comes to a gentle stop and doesn't nose-dive. If you hit the brake pedal harder, it sends more pressure to the front to stop faster
That may be part of the reason(?) for rear brake pad wear.

In most driving situations I am slightly easing off the brake pedal as car is coming to a stop; this is the way I learned to drive a zillion years ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:35 PM   #18
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Now that I think about it, what you are probably feeling is the "Brake Energy Regeneration system" (BER) kicking in when applying light pressure to the brake pedal or coasting in certain situations. The BER is actually the alternator engaging to charge the battery, putting an extra load on the engine causing engine braking, which slows the vehicle by slowing the wheels making it appear as though the system is applying extra brake forces.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #19
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Quote:
Now that I think about it, what you are probably feeling is the "Brake Energy Regeneration system" (BER) kicking in when applying light pressure to the brake pedal or coasting in certain situations. The BER is actually the alternator engaging to charge the battery, putting an extra load on the engine causing engine braking, which slows the vehicle by slowing the wheels making it appear as though the system is applying extra brake forces.
Well that is interesting, I think I see what you're saying but isn't the alternator always turning - and it's 'drag' on the engine essentially constant?
Perhaps I'm missing something here…
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:15 PM   #20
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well that is interesting, I think I see what you're saying but isn't the alternator always turning - and it's 'drag' on the engine essentially constant?
Perhaps I'm missing something here…
Yes, it's always spinning, but electronics in it can vary the output, dramatically increasing or decreasing the load on the engine. The idea is when you're accelerating, the alternator goes into very low load/output, therefore increasing engine power and reducing fuel consumption. Then when you brake, it engages/increases the load/output of the alternator and charges the battery. It's all about increasing MPG. If your vehicle has the Efficient Dynamics display in the cluster, it will go into the blue when the alternator is using BER.

Name:  BMW-M8-dash-capture.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  31.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:12 PM   #21
tom2021
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=Wgosma;27695325]It's not like the rear brakes are slammed, but actuated enough so that I can definitely tell the rear of the car is being 'controlled' at times rounding corners. I am braking but not heavily, so DSC is active…I would presume all the X3's have this happening by design of the stability control system….I presume one does not need "Performance Control" (option?) to have DSC actuate rear braking (?).

From my driving experience, I can testify "the rear of the car is being 'controlled' at times rounding corners". This is the reason bimmer is so stable and safe at the turn, even at high speed. It is so much fun during turning.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:23 PM   #22
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2021 View Post
From my driving experience, I can testify "the rear of the car is being 'controlled' at times rounding corners". This is the reason bimmer is so stable and safe at the turn, even at high speed. It is so much fun during turning.
Appreciate 0