BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-23-2012, 03:09 AM   #23
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Maybe it is just someone jealous of your new car and putting those nails into your tyre... and you just think you drove over a nail?

At least in here that might be the case for sudden spike (pun intended) in your puncture history.

Other one might be those greenpeace terrorists attacking against "SUVs", that also happened here.

Maybe this is wrong topic, but I think RFTs are bad for roads that are corroded by studded winter tyres, the case here. Also I have a feeling that due to robust sidewall, RFT tyres cause other suspension parts to fail sooner than normally. All bushings, joints, bearings, etc. have to deal forces that are harder and more sudden (from zero to max shorter time) than with normal tyres.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #24
X3emist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M/Sport

Ok, listen up people, you may have a manufacturers tire warranty

I just discovered this warranty and had a Goodyear with 8000 miles on it replaced free of charge including mounting and balancing at my dealer. They knew nothing of the warranty and it took a day for them to confirm it.

Look in the binder with all your warranty info in the glove box. In there you will find a shrink wrapped brochure on tires. Inside that you will find a CD. See what brand and model tire you have and look it up on the PDF that is on the CD. Read it thoroughly and you may find you do in fact have a road hazard warranty. Our 2011 5 and the new 2013 X3 both have Goodyears which are covered. The Goodyear dealer I went to first did not believe me in spite of my printing out the warranty and handing it to him. He had to call corporate to confirm but then it was going to take 2-3 days to get a tire so he suggested calling my BMW dealer who had them in stock. They said that I was the first one to ever bring this up to them and nobody there had ever heard of it nor had they ever replaced a tire under this warranty.

Funny BMW goes out of their way to cram an add on warranty down your throat but fails to point out what you already have. Note also that this warranty is full replacement during the first 12 months and 2/32 of tread wear. After this point it is prorated which is still a good deal.

If some of you went to your dealer and he made you buy a new one I think you have a good case to challenge them and seek a refund.
      07-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #25
NYCX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
I just discovered this warranty and had a Goodyear with 8000 miles on it replaced free of charge including mounting and balancing at my dealer. They knew nothing of the warranty and it took a day for them to confirm it.

Look in the binder with all your warranty info in the glove box. In there you will find a shrink wrapped brochure on tires. Inside that you will find a CD. See what brand and model tire you have and look it up on the PDF that is on the CD. Read it thoroughly and you may find you do in fact have a road hazard warranty. Our 2011 5 and the new 2013 X3 both have Goodyears which are covered. The Goodyear dealer I went to first did not believe me in spite of my printing out the warranty and handing it to him. He had to call corporate to confirm but then it was going to take 2-3 days to get a tire so he suggested calling my BMW dealer who had them in stock. They said that I was the first one to ever bring this up to them and nobody there had ever heard of it nor had they ever replaced a tire under this warranty.

Funny BMW goes out of their way to cram an add on warranty down your throat but fails to point out what you already have. Note also that this warranty is full replacement during the first 12 months and 2/32 of tread wear. After this point it is prorated which is still a good deal.

If some of you went to your dealer and he made you buy a new one I think you have a good case to challenge them and seek a refund.

Totally agree with you, I actually called GoodYear yesterday and spoke to their rep, and when asking him about why their run flats seems to have so many complaints and bubble easily, he replied, well, it's when you hit the tire on road hazard. When I asked if the tires have a warranty, he almost hesitantly said yes, they are covered from road hazard, when asked if that includes potholes, he replied it was. Seems like they do have the warranty for legal reasons to cover themselves, but don't exactly advertise is too much, as people would probably become more negligent and drive more carelessly knowing that goodyear got em covered. As any good business, Goodyear needs to play it smart.

It's a good idea to drive around potholes and not hit curbs, especially with low profile runflats, but if you do, and develop a bubble, use your tire warranty that comes standard with the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #26
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
i think i may have an idea how to exploit this tire insurance. Only if you have bought tire insurance.
before your tires go bold, deliveratly punchute your tires

Not sure but, do it on your own risk :P
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #27
NYCX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
i think i may have an idea how to exploit this tire insurance. Only if you have bought tire insurance.
before your tires go bold, deliveratly punchute your tires

Not sure but, do it on your own risk :P
Now why would one want to puncture their own tires to get away with insurance fraud?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #28
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Will insurance cover replacement of two tires if one gets a nail on sides after 10,000 miles?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #29
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCX3 View Post
Now why would one want to puncture their own tires to get away with insurance fraud?
lol, i wont but ill think of it before my tires gets 4/32 :P
and hey, its not like they would stalk me everywhere i go

At April, idk but. My SA told me they would replace it before 4/32
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #30
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Haven't had any punctures with the RFTs, knock on wood. Compared to my last two cars with traditional tires I had 5 popped tires between the both of them in 4 years. It could be because of the RFTs or it could be that Mercedes just installs seriously crappy tires on their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
lol, i wont but ill think of it before my tires gets 4/32 :P
and hey, its not like they would stalk me everywhere i go

At April, idk but. My SA told me they would replace it before 4/32
Wouldn't you have to pop all 4 tires? I'm having a good thought session on the logistics of popping all 4 tires at once during real world driving. Driving on one new tire is just as bad as driving with 3 bald ones.

Last edited by Beyu; 07-25-2012 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #31
kingpinx5
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 Space Gray Metallic

My 2013 X3 has less than 2,000 miles, and I just had to replace one of the tire due to a screw. Unfortunately, I didn't purchase the tire warranty, it cost $400. In my lifetime of driving, I have never to replace a tire due to nail or screw. I mean this tire is practically brand new, must be these RFT's. Although the leak is very slow, took about a week for the low tire warning to pop up, still the tire cannot be save.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #32
stevo031
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg62 View Post
Is it my imagination or there are more threads about nail damage in run flats. My X3 m-sport is not even a month old (< 800 miles) and I already had to change a tire today. I’m glad I purchased tire and wheel insurance with no deductable (5 year, 50K coverage) or I would be paying $400 to replace it.

I can’t even remember the last time I had a nail puncture, at least 10+ years. Must be my bad luck or these 19in run flats attract nails.
The wife hit a pothole and the right front had a leak. We made it home, I pulled off the wheel and took it to a reputable tire dealership here in St Paul, MN. They not only did not have the Goodyear RFT in stock, their usual supplier in Indy was also out. They had to have one shipped in from the east coast and it cost me over $400 and the vehicle was up on jack stands for 7 days. RFT's suck. At least give me the option of ordering a space saver or full sized spare.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #33
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo031 View Post
The wife hit a pothole and the right front had a leak. We made it home, I pulled off the wheel and took it to a reputable tire dealership here in St Paul, MN. They not only did not have the Goodyear RFT in stock, their usual supplier in Indy was also out. They had to have one shipped in from the east coast and it cost me over $400 and the vehicle was up on jack stands for 7 days. RFT's suck. At least give me the option of ordering a space saver or full sized spare.
$400 is more like dealer price than tire shop price, I am sure you could have look for a dealership that had the tire in stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 07:43 AM   #34
btheimann
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

X3 tire issues

I have a 2017 X3 with Goodyear 245/R19 run flat tires. I've had 3 nails in 2 1/2 years. I think there is a fundamental flaw in the thread pattern which runs parallel to the road, so it hoovers up the nails instead of discarding them. When I put air in to reflate the tire yesterday eve, the valve broke. I think it's shameful for BMW to sell a shitty product like that.
I've had an X5, Toyota and Jeep, all with regular tires, and in 20 years never had a problem. Maybe run flats aren't adequate technology for the the 3rd world road conditions and contractors spilling construction wastes freely all over the map.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 04:38 PM   #35
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

I think the only puncture I've had on my 2015 so far was when I had non runflats. And that took two trips to get resolved. A real small leak that apparently didn't leak when there was no weight on the tire, so I had to go back.

I'm back on RFT just because I don't have a spare. Even though they won't last as long as the non runflats.
Appreciate 0