BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-09-2023, 07:33 PM   #1
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Washer Fluid Level Sensor

F98 LCI: For a couple of months, I have gotten sporadic and inconsistent "Low Fluid Washer Level" alarms on my car. Topping off the reservoir didn't always make a difference.
So, last week, I had the alarm, put a quart of water in there and the alarm stayed on. Took car to the dealer who confirmed low level sensor was defective.
Agreed to return the car the next morning to have it looked at. That afternoon, I got the dreaded phone call; "The sensor we have in stock does not fit your car. We will get the proper sensor overnight. Your car will be ready next day around noon."
And it was - and all fixed under warranty.
But I was surprised to read the service order that they had to install a new washer fluid tank. Apparently, the level sensor is integrated in the tank - part No. 61-66-7-483-866. The pump was of course moved from the old tank to the new one.
BTW, the right front wheel, the car-colored fender trim and fender liner, comes out to gain access to the tank.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 11:08 AM   #2
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
F98 LCI: For a couple of months, I have gotten sporadic and inconsistent "Low Fluid Washer Level" alarms on my car. Topping off the reservoir didn't always make a difference.
So, last week, I had the alarm, put a quart of water in there and the alarm stayed on. Took car to the dealer who confirmed low level sensor was defective.
Agreed to return the car the next morning to have it looked at. That afternoon, I got the dreaded phone call; "The sensor we have in stock does not fit your car. We will get the proper sensor overnight. Your car will be ready next day around noon."
And it was - and all fixed under warranty.
But I was surprised to read the service order that they had to install a new washer fluid tank. Apparently, the level sensor is integrated in the tank - part No. 61-66-7-483-866. The pump was of course moved from the old tank to the new one.
BTW, the right front wheel, the car-colored fender trim and fender liner, comes out to gain access to the tank.
A lot of times the dealer is too lazy to replace a part when they can replace the whole assembly and get paid. It helps to be a little mechanically inclined as sometimes their ask is ridiculous. I once needed a new seal for my oil reserve reservoir $5 and they wanted to replace the whole thing $550+labor. Took me 20 mins.
Appreciate 2
95wildtt844.50
DBU234.00
      12-10-2023, 12:41 PM   #3
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
A lot of times the dealer is too lazy to replace a part when they can replace the whole assembly and get paid. It helps to be a little mechanically inclined as sometimes their ask is ridiculous. I once needed a new seal for my oil reserve reservoir $5 and they wanted to replace the whole thing $550+labor. Took me 20 mins.
You are 100% correct. Dealership service often feels like the tech is going through the ISTA test pattern and if the root cause falls outside the test pattern, they are:
a) lost
b) not interested to fix the problem because it is a hassle for them to get paid, so they give us the "oh, that sound is normal for BMW M cars" or whatever.

My wife drives a 2015 X4 (F26) which had a failed windshield washer pump. I replaced that myself some time ago and it made for a satisfying DIY Saturday afternoon.
Some folks say never own a BMW outside the warranty period. I say "never own a BMW unless you are DIY capable."
Appreciate 0