BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

IMSA: Brickyard Grand Prix (TUSC, Conti Tire, etc.) 07/25/2014

The next event on the IMSA calendar is the Brickyard Grand Prix.
**This is part of the larger 2014 Brickyard 400 / Super Weekend - July 24-27**
http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/brickyard400/

TUDOR will be broadcast on July 25th on Fox Sports 1 at 7pm EST
Qualifying will be streamed live via IMSA.Com

Continental Tire Challenge will be broadcast on July 25th via IMSA.Com at 2:35pm EST. Will be re-broadcast on FS1 at 12 noon on August 3rd.

SET YOUR DVRs!

The track: Indianapolis Motor Speedway - this needs no introduction to you all.

The entry list is STRONG, over 50 this year

With all four classes in action, a total of 50 cars are set to take to the revised Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course.

No major changes are seen in the Prototype class, other than Chinese driver Ho-Pin Tung teaming with Gustavo Yacaman in OAK Racing’s Morgan-Nissan, which is coming off a dominant first victory in last weekend’s round at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.

The DeltaWing, which was forced to withdraw due to chassis damage from a fire in Canada, is not entered, as originally scheduled, while the No. 31 Marsh Racing Corvette DP will return to action after Boris Said’s heavy crash.

Said, however, is not expected to drive due to his rib injuries, with his replacement to be announced soon.

In Prototype Challenge, IndyCar rising star Jack Hawksworth will make his TUDOR Championship debut, filling in for Alex Tagliani in the No. 08 RSR Racing Oreca FLM09, Tagliani was suspended by IMSA for one race following a practice accident at Watkins Glen.

John Martin, meanwhile, will make his second consecutive start in the No. 7 Starworks Motorsport entry, which James French is listed to drive with David Ostella in the No. 38 Performance Tech machine.

The ten-car GT Le Mans entry remains unchanged, while 19 GT Daytona cars are listed, with no notable changes, either.

The two-day event gets underway on Thursday July 24 with practice and qualifying, with the two-hour and 45-minute race taking the green flag Friday afternoon.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Burt Frisselle will drive as substitute for Boris Said in the Marsh Racing Covette DP at Indy and Road America

“We certainly appreciate Burt stepping in on such short notice,” said team owner Ted Marsh. “Boris is taking some time to recuperate and needs a couple of weeks out of the car so it’s great that Burt was available to join us.

Why? At CTMP Said crashed during practice and broke a rib. He needs some time to heal.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
uwood
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

My son and I will be there all day. Looking forward to it!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

IMS Schedule for Friday IMSA

Schedule of Events

8 am - Chevy Driver Autograph Session Wristband Distribution - Pagoda Plaza
While supplies last

8 am - Gates Open - IMS

8 am - 6:00 pm - IMS Kids Zone Open - IMS
View more information about the IMS Kids Zone

8:30 am - 9:30 am - NASCAR Nationwide Series Practice - Track

8:30 am - 9:30 am - Chevy Driver Autograph Session - Legends Row
Wristband required to attend autograph session

9:30 am - 10:30 am - Chevy Driver Autograph Session - Legends Row
Wristband required to attend autograph session

10:30 am - 11:30 am - NASCAR Nationwide Series Practice - Track

11:30 am - IMSA Fan Fest and Track Walk - Hulman Blvd.

11:35 am - NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Practice - Track

11:45 am - IMSA Autograph Session - Hulman Blvd.

2 pm - Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge Pre-Race - IMS

2:35 pm - Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge Race (2 Hours 30 Minutes) - Track

5:45 pm - Brickyard Grand Prix Race (2 Hours 45 Minutes) - Track

8:30 pm - Gates Close - IMS
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #5
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwood View Post
My son and I will be there all day. Looking forward to it!
Lucky! I'm sure you will have an amazing time
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

BMW RLL IMS Preview:
Www.rahal.com

BMW Team RLL – Brickyard Grand Prix Preview
July 22, 2014 USCC News
Woodcliff Lake, N.J. – July 22, 2014 …Something old and new is up next for BMW Team RLL when it comes to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to contest Round 7 of the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship on a circuit that combines part of the legendary speedway and a newly revised infield road course.

The Brickyard Grand Prix was part of the GRAND-AM series beginning in 2012 so Bill Auberlen and John Edwards have raced there twice, but the revised circuit effectively means this year’s event will be brand new for everyone at BMW Team RLL.

The original Indy road course hosted the United States Grand Prix from 2000 – 2007. The 2.439-mile, 14-turn revised Indy road course was finished this year and was first used on May 10 for the new IndyCar Grand Prix of Indianapolis, a lead-in to the 98th Indianapolis 500.

BMW Team RLL has failed to record a podium finish in the last two rounds at Watkins Glen International and Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. With their long straights, both circuits play to the top speed advantages of the competition. The Indy road course also has a very long straight so a July 17th Balance of Performance adjustment by series that reduced the minimum weight of the BMW Z4 GTLM by 15 kilograms (33 pounds) may not be enough to move the BMW up better than the fourth place finish realized most recently at Mosport.

Bill Auberlen and Andy Priaulx stand in a tie with two other drivers for second place in driver points, but the class leaders now have a 19 point advantage. John Edwards and Dirk Müller stand fifth in driver points. BMW is third in Manufacturer points, only two points behind Porsche and ten points from Corvette.

“I think Indianapolis Motor Speedway has done a fantastic job with the new road racing circuit,” said Bobby Rahal, Team Principal and 1986 Indianapolis 500 winner. “The Indy car race was great and I feel that the IMSA race will be equally as good. It’s going to be tough for us because it’s another fast circuit with a long, long straightaway. It has some interesting corners in the infield, but certainly the front straightaway is very, very long. We finished fourth at Mosport and we just have to keep doing our best despite our disadvantage. Right now the Corvette is the dominant car and the Viper is probably the next dominant car. If you’re not one of those two manufacturers it’s a tough race for you but we’ll keep pushing and see what we get.”

Bill Auberlen, driver, No. 55 Z4 GTLM – “It’s been a tough couple of races recently and Indy will not be any easier. Our top speed deficit was painfully obvious at CTMP. Both Andy and I have to focus to make every lap count and put a stint together that keeps the No. 55 car as high up the order as we can. We don’t have anything in reserve.”

Andy Priaulx, driver, No. 55 Z4 GTLM – “Indy will be another new challenge for me, as this is a track that I have not driven before. So far my race preparations for the previous races have worked out ok so I will not change this process. I am very conscious that since coming back from Le Mans Corvette have been pretty much untouchable so we need to hope that soon we can close this gap and stay in the fight for the championship. Bill and I will keep pushing to keep the title fight alive.”

John Edwards, driver, No. 56 Z4 GTLM – “I saw my first ever F1 race at Indy and that was a big part of getting me into racing. I think the new layout will help the Z4 since it adds some cornering where we would have been flat out otherwise. We put a good race together in Mosport, but lacked a little bit of pace to the frontrunners, but there have been some BoP changes since then so we will see how that affects the racing this weekend. Although Dirk and I had some bad luck in a couple races early in the year, the championship is still very tight from P2 to P7, so we will be pushing harder than ever to move back up the standings.”

Dirk Müller, driver, No. 56 Z4 GTLM – “Indy will be a new experience for me. I’ve never been to the 500 and I’m looking forward to seeing the home of the great race. We have reviewed video from the IndyCar race in May and will have to work hard for a good result as the track will certainly favor our competitors.”

The Brickyard Grand Prix will take the green flag at 5:45 p.m. ET Friday, July 25th. The race will be broadcast live on Fox Sports 1 with coverage beginning at 5:30 p.m. ET. Follow BMW Team RLL on Twitter at BMWUSARacing for “from-the-pit-box” updates all weekend. More information on the program can be found at www.bmwusa.com and www.imsa.com

Last edited by 954Stealth; 07-22-2014 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:06 AM   #7
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Love Tudor series!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Prediction time!

Let's see podium finishes for GTLM and GTD

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #9
uwood
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Prediction time!

Let's see podium finishes for GTLM and GTD

With the way the season has gone so far, those would be bold predictions.

Even though I drive a BMW, I am still a Ferrari boy.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

lol here we go

GTLM:
1. Corvette
2. Viper
3. RLL's Z4

GTD:
1. Viper
2. R8
3. Turner's Z4
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #11
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I'll be there!

GTLM

1. Porsche
2. Vette
3. Z4

And in Prototype Ganassi 01 is due for a podium minimum.

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

I've watch every race this year, so I'm fairly informed (I think) here are my picks:

P:
1. Wayne Taylor Racing
2. Action Express
3. one of the ESM Hondas....

though I'll like to see the ESM Hondas and the Oak Racing Nissan compete better, the LeMans prototypes are just outmatched by the Daytona Prototypes, they should really fix this.

PC:
1. Core Racing
2. Starworks
3. RSR #38 car

GTLM:
1. Corvette #3
2. RLL #55
3. Porsche #911

GTD:
1. Flying Lizard #45
2. Team Seattle/AJR #23
3. Turner
4. AIM #555

Last edited by Flying Ace; 07-23-2014 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #13
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

ha, Ferrari is not doing well at all this year...they also have very little number of entries, I think just Risi and Krohn in GTLM (#9 and #11 spots out of 12) and tons in GTD Scuderia Corsa, and AIM which runs in every race. (#8 and #1 out of 10) so far this year.

Not impressive at all in GTLM, especially how the Ferraris are shown to be underpowered, for some reason, they are just not competitive.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #14
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
I'll be there!

GTLM

1. Porsche
2. Vette
3. Z4

And in Prototype Ganassi 01 is due for a podium minimum.
You think Porsche NA will beat Corvette?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:12 AM   #15
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
You think Porsche NA will beat Corvette?
For the purposes of my bold predictions in this thread? Sure. Where I'd put my actual money? Perhaps not...

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #16
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
For the purposes of my bold predictions in this thread? Sure. Where I'd put my actual money? Perhaps not...
LOL alright then I was beginning to wonder if we were watching the same season.

In that case I want a 1-2 from RLL
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #17
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Fall Line and John Edwards around IMS

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #18
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #19
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

paddocktalk

While teams from the Rolex Grand-Am Championship are perhaps familiar with racing on the Indianapolis Road Course, this Thursday/Friday’s visit for the 2h45 Brickyard Grand Prix will be new for many in the 49-strong field which includes all four classes - P, LMPC, GTLM and GTD.

Risi Competizione’s two drivers, Giancarlo Fisichella (ITA) and Pierre Kaffer (GER) have both competed at IMS before - the Italian twice in Formula One, and the German last year in a Daytona Prototype. However, this year’s 14-turn, 2.435 mile layout is the same as that used this year for the Indycar road course race in May so will be new to virtually everyone on the entry list.

As well as some local knowledge, the No.62 Ferrari 458 Italia also goes to Indiana with what the Houston-based team hopes will be a significant performance improvement following a recent change by IMSA to the Balance of Performance (BoP). This is aimed at equalizing as much as possible the different marques within the class to ensure fair and close competition and, until now, the Ferrari has been trailing in performance compared to its rivals. The Ferrari has now been given a slightly larger air restrictor (+.6mm), less weight (-30 kg) and an allowance for a higher wing placement, but Porsche and BMW have also been given performance breaks so the challenge remains considerable.

Pierre Kaffer, who was racing a Ferrari last week in Austria, commented: "I drove at Indy last year in a DP and, although the track layout has changed a little, it’s a good to have some knowledge to start with. I think the recent change to the GTLM BoP is definitely in the right direction because in Mosport especially we struggled a lot to be on the pace. Hopefully we will be back in the mix at Indy."

The German who, with Fisichella, finished on the podium at Laguna Seca earlier this year, continued, "We saw at Watkins Glen that it’s quite difficult for GTLM to overtake LMPC cars and I think that, with nearly 50 cars here and less practice track time, it will be a ‘special’ event...you will arrive and, before you know it, you will have the race. It’s going to be very unique and we’ll see how it works out but it won’t be easy."

Giancarlo Fisichella has happy memories of Indianapolis Motor Speedway, having qualified third and finished on the podium on his last visit there with Formula One (2006), and is very much looking forward to returning. "It’s going to be another new circuit but this time it will be new for almost everyone there. It’s a historic circuit, very well-known internationally for the Indy 500, and I’m looking forward to the United Sportscar Championship making its own history there at the end of this week."

The Roman with 229 F1 Grand Prix starts, and two 24 Hours of Le Mans GT victories to his name, continued: "I hope and think the new BoP will be much better for us, as it’s been quite clear at the last couple of races that it was unbalanced instead of balanced. We have a good chance to do well, and I really hope we get a good result because we need it for everyone at Ferrari and on the Risi team. Yes, the traffic will be difficult, but it’s been like that for quite a few of our races now, and there is a very long straight which should help us."
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #20
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Turner Motorsport's Z4 is on the IMS track. First time ever! Historic for their team, I'd say.

Here's RLL at the Brickyard
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #21
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Dirk is ready to rock n roll

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #22
954Stealth