BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-03-2023, 03:49 PM   #1
SpacecoastM
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC X5Msp X5M M340I M5/3/2

Main screen and dash dim issue coding fix

From another forum and also from a g20 thread…. This exact coding fixed the dim screen and dash during the day and activated the scroll wheel for nighttime adjustment.

Not taking credit for this . This works to fix the tint light sensor issue.

2020 X3MC

It can be done in Bimmercode expert mode...

Headunit
3005 APIX_CID_UND_ZIN
DIM_CURVE_X2
change values to 0x00, 0x00 (from 0x1F, 0xC0)

Instrument cluster
3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration
DIM_TAG_NACHT_LICHT_EIN_ENABLE
change value to aktiv

Instrument cluster
3005 FuBi_Parameter
DIM_DTN
change value to 0x7F (from 0x3F)

———-

It works!
Appreciate 8
dmanb2b2129.50
Got f1?682.50
CZS10.50
Bmock17603.50
xnick101651.50
      02-03-2023, 05:10 PM   #2
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacecoastM View Post
From another forum and also from a g20 thread…. This exact coding fixed the dim screen and dash during the day and activated the scroll wheel for nighttime adjustment.

2020 X3MC

Headunit
3005 APIX_CID_UND_ZIN
DIM_CURVE_X2

Instrument cluster
change value to aktiv

Instrument cluster
3005 FuBi_Parameter
DIM_DTN

———-

It works!
This is certainly sticky worthy
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 06:24 PM   #3
CZS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC

Garage List
Excellent find!!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 09:19 AM   #4
R BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328Xi GT, 2020 X3 MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M Comp  [0.00]
2014 328Xi GT  [10.00]
Added to my Spring time "to do" list.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 07:49 AM   #5
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I did a fix which only fixed the control screen. Is this in addition to that or does anything else have to be set?

I will check the coding I did for the control screen as it has been a while.

If this works it would be awesome - I hate the cluster dimming.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 01:32 AM   #6
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Have had this since last month; it works great. Same as my G05.
      02-14-2023, 03:23 PM   #7
CZS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Have had this since last month; it works great. Same as my G05.
Does this fix retain the autodimming feature or does it override that functionality and just brighten the dash at all times
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 04:30 PM   #8
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
I did this the other night... a few thoughts:

1) My screens (both dash + control unit) are always noticeably bright and its so damn refreshing to just always see my screens during the day. Ridiculous that some of us have owned these cars for years and had to deal with a bug that could have been solved so easily by the dealer.

2) The unexpected part is the night sensation... so one of the three codes, seems to keep the dashboard from going into the night colour scheme.. which at first is questionable, but getting over the fact that I loose some intended functionality (ability to tailor the color to the environment, orange/reds make sense for dark night highway cruising of course).. but i drive in the city all day and night long, and I'm REALLY enjoying the white dials at night. Though they are a bit bright at night, so I've had to tone them down to 60-70% for my preference.

3) They DO still dim during the day, I noticed it today, they aren't always full brightness. Personally I wish they either dimmed at night, or just never dimmed at all and used the wheel brightness.

4) Manual dimming works at night. During the day, if the lights are switched to off mode, then the manual dimming affects the HUD, but not the dash or control screen. When the lights are in automatic mode, during the day, the dimmer doesn't seem to do anything at all.. at night, everything does dim to the desired level, but the default seems to be brighter than before the coding.

All said, its without a doubt the best mod I've done to this car in 3 years of ownership... and ridiculously overdue. Maybe we can just adjust the daylight sensitivity, and leave the night mode working as stock.. but if I had to choose between the full deal or stock, full deal with white night dials all day long.. its so much better. I'm also sure we can pick apart the three changes to understand what each does. Thanks to whoever figured this out.

Last edited by spucktacular; 02-14-2023 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
95wildtt852.00
      02-14-2023, 04:38 PM   #9
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
If some german bmw engineer wearing a lab coat is reading this for customer feedback, i'd just like to ask why the hell did anyone R&D an auto screen dimming mode for the day?

Seriously, think about it. We're not talking about an iphone running on batteries that needs to conserve power. When has ANYONE ever said, oh that screen is WAYY too bright during the day, like EVER... UNDER ANY CONTEXT, not driving an automobile. Its just NOT a problem that has EVER existed.. but then to botch it by not having a manual override, and using IR light spectrum for the sensor calibration.. WTF??? I thought ya'll were smart.. hence the lab coats

Auto-dimm the night away, but even if the day auto dimm worked properly, which it CLEARLY doesn't.. what is the actual point, in logic and words, please someone explain this to me..

I spent 100k on my car and I can't read my dashboard properly without "hacking the mainframe"? This is INSANE behaviour. This level of disregard for usability and then inaction to correct what became a well know problem.. I've owned a lot of BMWs, but this was particularly disappointing. Shame. My benz certainly doesn't act this dumb.

Last edited by spucktacular; 02-14-2023 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 2
95wildtt852.00
BMWZ41912.50
      02-14-2023, 05:17 PM   #10
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by spucktacular View Post
If some german bmw engineer wearing a lab coat is reading this for customer feedback, i'd just like to ask why the hell did anyone R&D an auto screen dimming mode for the day?

Seriously, think about it. We're not talking about an iphone running on batteries that needs to conserve power. When has ANYONE ever said, oh that screen is WAYY too bright during the day, like EVER... UNDER ANY CONTEXT, not driving an automobile. Its just NOT a problem that has EVER existed.. but then to botch it by not having a manual override, and using IR light spectrum for the sensor calibration.. WTF??? I thought ya'll were smart.. hence the lab coats

Auto-dimm the night away, but even if the day auto dimm worked properly, which it CLEARLY doesn't.. what is the actual point, in logic and words, please someone explain this to me..

I spent 100k on my car and I can't read my dashboard properly without "hacking the mainframe"? This is INSANE behaviour. This level of disregard for usability and then inaction to correct what became a well know problem.. I've owned a lot of BMWs, but this was particularly disappointing. Shame. My benz certainly doesn't act this dumb.
Not a smart guy in a white lab coat by any means, and am just as annoyed by the screen dimming as you are.

I don't believe window tinting is a "thing" in Germany... like remote start.
I suspect it was never tested with tinted windows, and as such doesn't work properly.
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport

Last edited by 95wildtt; 02-14-2023 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 05:27 PM   #11
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

sub'd
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 06:17 AM   #12
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wildtt View Post
Not a smart guy in a white lab coat by any means, and am just as annoyed by the screen dimming as you are.

I don't believe window tinting is a "thing" in Germany... like remote start.
I suspect it was never tested with tinted windows, and as such doesn't work properly.
Others have had this issue with no tint. One case the poster backed into his garage and the shade caused the camera screen to dim.

I agree this is the dummest design ever. I didn’t realize what was happening originally when my control screen would dim.

Had I not found the code fix I was planning to report to the NHTSA. When you cannot see the screen while backing up it puts lives in danger. I always do the manual turn around but rely on the camera for the inevitable blind spots.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 06:27 AM   #13
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I did this the other night... a few thoughts:

1) My screens (both dash + control unit) are always noticeably bright and its so damn refreshing to just always see my screens during the day. Ridiculous that some of us have owned these cars for years and had to deal with a bug that could have been solved so easily by the dealer.

2) The unexpected part is the night sensation... so one of the three codes, seems to keep the dashboard from going into the night colour scheme.. which at first is questionable, but getting over the fact that I loose some intended functionality (ability to tailor the color to the environment, orange/reds make sense for dark night highway cruising of course).. but i drive in the city all day and night long, and I'm REALLY enjoying the white dials at night. Though they are a bit bright at night, so I've had to tone them down to 60-70% for my preference.

3) They DO still dim during the day, I noticed it today, they aren't always full brightness. Personally I wish they either dimmed at night, or just never dimmed at all and used the wheel brightness.

4) Manual dimming works at night. During the day, if the lights are switched to off mode, then the manual dimming affects the HUD, but not the dash or control screen. When the lights are in automatic mode, during the day, the dimmer doesn't seem to do anything at all.. at night, everything does dim to the desired level, but the default seems to be brighter than before the coding.

All said, its without a doubt the best mod I've done to this car in 3 years of ownership... and ridiculously overdue. Maybe we can just adjust the daylight sensitivity, and leave the night mode working as stock.. but if I had to choose between the full deal or stock, full deal with white night dials all day long.. its so much better. I'm also sure we can pick apart the three changes to understand what each does. Thanks to whoever figured this out.
To confirm, this keeps brightness of gauge cluster, control screen, and HVAC controls?

The last code I did fixed the control screen which is now full brightness day or night but my cluster and HVAC were still dim. Not as critical to me as for the cluster I can just put a post-it note on the speedo that reads “Too Fast”
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 10:01 PM   #14
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
To confirm, this keeps brightness of gauge cluster, control screen, and HVAC controls?

The last code I did fixed the control screen which is now full brightness day or night but my cluster and HVAC were still dim. Not as critical to me as for the cluster I can just put a post-it note on the speedo that reads “Too Fast”
Hey!

Yes, its the FULL deal this time. I also tried the coding you mention two years ago when I first noticed the problem... but found it to be half ass, as it only made the control screen stay bright, so I removed it after a few days. This time, its everything and it works properly. Anyway, I can wholeheartedly guarantee this is a worthwhile coding that has NO downsides, beyond getting used to everything being brighter (ie, like it should have always been).

I cannot possibly endorse this coding enough, EVERYONE in a 2019-2022 pre-cli F97/F98 should do it immediately.

I just can't believe how conditioned I became, that it looked odd to have a properly legible screen at all times... like I literally had to do a double take for a good week, until I finally got used to it. My wifes benz, its a disco party of light and color, day and night and its awesome.. but with the bimmer, it surprised me for so long, that it really made me realize how bad of a problem it was that I subconsciously just got used to not being able to see my screens during the day.. in a 100k car. I actually programmed myself to always check the temp, to see if its too cold to open the windows.. which was the only way to read the dials. Crazy.. Anyway, this alone is worth buying bimmercode and a bt doongle off amazon if you have this issue and it bothers you, without a doubt.. I think I would have paid someone $2000 to fix the auto dimming coding if such a service was made available before I fixed it myself.

Sorry I don't have a day light photo now, but here's the night time after the latest coding:

Last edited by spucktacular; 12-20-2023 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 06:26 AM   #15
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hey!

Yes, its the FULL deal this time. I also tried the coding you mention two years ago when I first noticed the problem... but found it to be half ass, as it only made the control screen stay bright, so I removed it after a few days. This time, its everything and it works properly. Anyway, I can wholeheartedly guarantee this is a worthwhile coding that has NO downsides, beyond getting used to everything being brighter (ie, like it should have always been).

I cannot possibly endorse this coding enough, EVERYONE in a 2019-2022 pre-cli F97/F98 should do it immediately.

I just can't believe how conditioned I became, that it looked odd to have a properly legible screen at all times... like I literally had to do a double take for a good week, until I finally got used to it. My wifes benz, its a disco party of light and color, day and night and its awesome.. but with the bimmer, it surprised me for so long, that it really made me realize how bad of a problem it was that I subconsciously just got used to not being able to see my screens during the day.. in a 100k car. I actually programmed myself to always check the temp, to see if its too cold to open the windows.. which was the only way to read the dials. Crazy.. Anyway, this alone is worth buying bimmercode and a bt doongle off amazon if you have this issue and it bothers you, without a doubt.. I think I would have paid someone $2000 to fix the auto dimming coding if such a service was made available before I fixed it myself.

Sorry I don't have a day light photo now, but here's the night time after the latest coding:
This is very encouraging and has been added to my to do list. Thanks!

I agree the first solution was half assed but it made a world of difference as the control screen was the biggest issue.

Since it’s been a while I have to dig back to see what I need to undo before I implement this fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 10:24 AM   #16
SpacecoastM
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC X5Msp X5M M340I M5/3/2

It’s good to know that I wasn’t the only one suffering from this. Similar situation with my 2017 M2 inaugural edition. Ironically my wife’s 2022 c5 has no such issue with tints here in Florida . They must have fixed it somewhere going forward
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 07:01 PM   #17
bradysdad
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, 2020 M340ix

[QUOTE=SpacecoastM;29805222]From another forum and also from a g20 thread…. This exact coding fixed the dim screen and dash during the day and activated the scroll wheel for nighttime adjustment.

2020 X3MC

Headunit
3005 APIX_CID_UND_ZIN
DIM_CURVE_X2

Instrument cluster
change value to aktiv

Instrument cluster
3005 FuBi_Parameter
DIM_DTN

———-

I just downloaded the latest version of BimmerCode and purchased the Full Version. Waiting for my cables to arrive tomorrow. I was playing with Demo mode on the app and could not find the categories listed in Steps 2 & 3 above specific to the Instrument Cluster.

Wondering if they will appear when I actually connect to the car or if the latest version of BimmerCode does not have these parameters any longer.

Thoughts appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 07:29 PM   #18
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Hey,

You gotta go to the "advanced/expert" mode or whatever it's called, once inside the right ECU module.

If you are worried about that, its nothing, just make sure to take a screenshot of the original values, and ONLY modify one value at a time.. (ie, don't go crazy dong a bunch of mods at once).. i believe bimmercode will create a backup recovery point before every update to a module, you can easily reverse to, if things don't work as expected. Also keep in mind, any updates done at the dealer, will likely wipe out your coding.

[QUOTE=bradysdad;29951013]
Quote:

2020 X3MC

Headunit
3005 APIX_CID_UND_ZIN
DIM_CURVE_X2

Instrument cluster
change value to aktiv

Instrument cluster
3005 FuBi_Parameter
DIM_DTN

———-

I just downloaded the latest version of BimmerCode and purchased the Full Version. Waiting for my cables to arrive tomorrow. I was playing with Demo mode on the app and could not find the categories listed in Steps 2 & 3 above specific to the Instrument Cluster.

Wondering if they will appear when I actually connect to the car or if the latest version of BimmerCode does not have these parameters any longer.

Thoughts appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 07:34 PM   #19
bradysdad
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, 2020 M340ix

Thanks for the quick reply. So if I understand you correctly, I need to be connected to my car and then the correct options will appear under each module?

And when you say Only one mod at a time, in this thread, there are three items to change. Do one at a time?

Sorry for the rookie questions. I’m always cautious when messing around with code.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 01:16 PM   #20
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:

2020 X3MC

Headunit
3005 APIX_CID_UND_ZIN
DIM_CURVE_X2

Instrument cluster
change value to aktiv

Instrument cluster
3005 FuBi_Parameter
DIM_DTN

———-

It works!

Worked for me with protools! Thanks to all who found this. It soooo much better now.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 04:02 PM   #21
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
This is very encouraging and has been added to my to do list. Thanks!

I agree the first solution was half assed but it made a world of difference as the control screen was the biggest issue.

Since it’s been a while I have to dig back to see what I need to undo before I implement this fix.

Happy to report mine is working as well!

I first backed out the previous “half” fix and applied this.

It’s always bright now which is awesome. Curious to play around to see if it can be dimmed at night but if not I’m ok with it as is.

Thanks again!!!!
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2023, 02:26 PM   #22
luisolivence
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 SDRIVE35I

Question

Quote:

2020 X3MC

Headunit
3005 APIX_CID_UND_ZIN
DIM_CURVE_X2

Instrument cluster
change value to aktiv

Instrument cluster
3005 FuBi_Parameter
DIM_DTN

———-

It works!

It works with a f15?
Appreciate 0