BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-14-2019, 12:51 AM   #1
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Garage List
As some may know from my previous post, I picked up my car yesterday and I've been thinking lots about getting a dash cam. A part of me couldn't justify the cost to benefit ratio considering the amount I drive, but also the worry or pulling of trim on a brand new car. However I know the day will come when I will need it, on my F30 on two occasions my car was damaged when parked, wasn't bad but it was a cost to me to fix. Sh!t happens and that is just life, I can accept that but at least if I had a dash cam there's a good chance I can see what happened, when and who.

After seeing a few other posts about hit and runs whilst parked, my decision is made.

Originally it was easy, it was Blackview 750s 2 Channel. But after re-evaluating my priorities I have decided on Thinkware Q800.

Here's the reason why

1) Parking Mode is my priority, I don't necessarily need it on when driving locally or doing the school run, so would want the ability to switch on or off with ease. Thinkware it's a physical button. BlackVue, through app I assume? I don't think there's a physical button to switch off but correct me if I'm wrong.

2) Time lapse in parking mode, brilliant if you want to record everything whilst parked, I haven't decided on which mode I would use as all have their pros and cons but the important ones like motion and shock are all there. Time lapse is just the extra one that Thinkware have.

3) in built speed camera alerts. Saves me thinking about purchasing another item, two birds with one stone. I would like to have this especially on roads I don't know.

4) 2k resolution compared to 1080p for a similar price.

In all honesty the inbuilt speed camera detector has pushed me to Thinkware, I don't want to start a debate about keeping to speed limits etc. but I was thinking about getting one again, had the origin b2 a long time ago and that was brilliant when it worked.

I will be running the dashcam from a battery pack when in parking mode so that's an extra expense, anyone recommend which battery pack to use?

I will be calling on pros to install, I have been recommended roadradio in Redhill/Crawley and TTW (expensive). Anyone else have any recommendations? Prefer mobile fitting but will travel around / near London. Halfords also fit but I think you need to purchase the cam through them, I don't even know if they sell Thinkware.

Overall, it will cost me around £700, I could get it done cheaper if I chose not to get the battery pack, but I rather not see the battery discharge message (which may or may not happen).

I must admit I have surprised myself going for the Thinkware as it's been BlackVue for a long while. But I think it's the best solution for me.

Washing my car today (dealer prepped the car, so now I have to do it properly). So won't have much time to research much more, I would like to get something fitted this week, it's the most expensive and powerful car I have owned and the dashcam isn't cheap, so may as well get it fitted as soon as and get max benefit.

Opinions on both dashcam welcome, I know both have pros and cons, I wish some of the functionality in BlackVue was in Thinkware such as the motion detection area. I also wished Thinkware records more than 10s after the impact, I think BlackVue records up to 1min after. But as with anything nothing is perfect and you always end up with some compromises especially when it comes to tech.

Any other suggestions on good fitters appreciated, anything to look out for when fitting these cameras, especially the rear one.

Sorry for long post.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 07:45 AM   #2
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Following since I’m trying to make the choice now.

Also initially thought of Blackvue but seeing many negatives in reviews about difficulties in the wifi connection to access videos and less than clear picture.

Leaning to the Thinkware now myself
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
bmwetsu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
Following since I’m trying to make the choice now.

Also initially thought of Blackvue but seeing many negatives in reviews about difficulties in the wifi connection to access videos and less than clear picture.

Leaning to the Thinkware now myself
I'm currently evaluating the same thing, so following with interest. Please post updates when you have them.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
SSBMW14
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Drives 2023 G16 840i

Garage List
2023 BMW 840i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbmwx3 View Post
As some may know from my previous post, I picked up my car yesterday and I've been thinking lots about getting a dash cam. A part of me couldn't justify the cost to benefit ratio considering the amount I drive, but also the worry or pulling of trim on a brand new car. However I know the day will come when I will need it, on my F30 on two occasions my car was damaged when parked, wasn't bad but it was a cost to me to fix. Sh!t happens and that is just life, I can accept that but at least if I had a dash cam there's a good chance I can see what happened, when and who.

After seeing a few other posts about hit and runs whilst parked, my decision is made.

Originally it was easy, it was Blackview 750s 2 Channel. But after re-evaluating my priorities I have decided on Thinkware Q800.

Here's the reason why

1) Parking Mode is my priority, I don't necessarily need it on when driving locally or doing the school run, so would want the ability to switch on or off with ease. Thinkware it's a physical button. BlackVue, through app I assume? I don't think there's a physical button to switch off but correct me if I'm wrong.

2) Time lapse in parking mode, brilliant if you want to record everything whilst parked, I haven't decided on which mode I would use as all have their pros and cons but the important ones like motion and shock are all there. Time lapse is just the extra one that Thinkware have.

3) in built speed camera alerts. Saves me thinking about purchasing another item, two birds with one stone. I would like to have this especially on roads I don't know.

In all honesty the inbuilt speed camera detector has pushed me to Thinkware, I don't want to start a debate about keeping to speed limits etc. but I was thinking about getting one again, had the origin b2 a long time ago and that was brilliant when it worked.

I will be running the dashcam from a battery pack when in parking mode so that's an extra expense, anyone recommend which battery pack to use?

I will be calling on pros to install, I have been recommended roadradio in Redhill/Crawley and TTW (expensive). Anyone else have any recommendations? Prefer mobile fitting but will travel around / near London. Halfords also fit but I think you need to purchase the cam through them, I don't even know if they sell Thinkware.

Overall, it will cost me around £700, I could get it done cheaper if I chose not to get the battery pack, but I rather not see the battery discharge message (which may or may not happen).

I must admit I have surprised myself going for the Thinkware as it's been BlackVue for a long while. But I think it's the best solution for me.

Washing my car today (dealer prepped the car, so now I have to do it properly). So won't have much time to research much more, I would like to get something fitted this week, it's the most expensive and powerful car I have owned and the dashcam isn't cheap, so may as well get it fitted as soon as and get max benefit.

Opinions on both dashcam welcome, I know both have pros and cons, I wish some of the functionality in BlackVue was in Thinkware such as the motion detection area. I also wished Thinkware records more than 10s after the impact, I think BlackVue records up to 1min after. But as with anything nothing is perfect and you always end up with some compromises especially when it comes to tech.

Any other suggestions on good fitters appreciated, anything to look out for when fitting these cameras, especially the rear one.

Sorry for long post.
This is exactly the model I had decided on before my car was hit. Contacted Thinkware who gave a list of locally approved fitters and then used google reviews - to try and find the best one. Came across this in Watford https://impulsecar.co.uk
      07-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #5
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBMW14 View Post
This is exactly the model I had decided on before my car was hit. Contacted Thinkware who gave a list of locally approved fitters and then used google reviews - to try and find the best one. Came across this in Watford https://impulsecar.co.uk
Cheers, I’ll have a look at them, strangely enough that’s near where I picked up my car!

In fact that’s right next door!!!!!

Last edited by mrbmwx3; 07-14-2019 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Quote:

Here's the reason why

Sorry for long post.
So let's sY you caught the culprit in action with license plate and face etc what kind of evidence does police or insurance need? Will it capture the person lic plate and actual impact
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #7
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Quote:

Here's the reason why

Sorry for long post.
So let's sY you caught the culprit in action with license plate and face etc what kind of evidence does police or insurance need? Will it capture the person lic plate and actual impact
I don't know the exact procedure as I never had a dash cam before, but in the UK I would have to contact my insurance company and take it from there. If I captured the license plate then they would be able to get in touch with them or their insurer, not exactly sure as I never been in that situation before.

Both BlackVue and Thinkware cameras capture e.g 10 seconds before impact and a period of time afterwards so you would actually see what went on leading up to the impact, if it happened at the front or back of car.

It's better than the position I would be in now where if I claim on Insurance then they would pay but I pay an excess and most probably would increase my premium, or I could just pay and fix it myself.

If insurance was successful in tracing the owner, which they should be able to do and as long as the other party was insured I shouldn't have to pay a thing.

Again, I have never been in the situation where I had dash cam footage so I don't know the exact procedure.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #8
shemazar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 e46 m3

I’ve been thrilled with my BlackVue 900s 2CH model. the video quality is great, and combined with the B-124 battery your parking mode is covered all the time (except extended parkings of more than 1 day).
Appreciate 1
focker155.00
      07-15-2019, 02:56 AM   #9
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemazar View Post
I’ve been thrilled with my BlackVue 900s 2CH model. the video quality is great, and combined with the B-124 battery your parking mode is covered all the time (except extended parkings of more than 1 day).
If only they did a speed camera functionality like the Thinkware.

How do you find parking mode on it? Many false alerts?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 04:05 AM   #10
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemazar View Post
I have the Thinkware F770 2 channel, and very happy with it. One you are talking about is a newer/better model so go for it 👍

Only aware of this battery for ThinkWare’s:

https://thinkwaredashcam.store/produ...ernal-battery/

Last edited by X3M40i_Nev; 07-15-2019 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 05:07 AM   #11
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks, yeah I've seen that battery, a bit lower capacity than the Blackvue one. But provides 16hrs dual channel which is more than enough.

Been ringing around and the best place I've spoken to near me is Bromley Car Audio.

Road Radio who sound good, but is offering me a solution that uses the Blackvue battery with a cigarette lighter output so Thinkware plugs in to that. Battery is hardwired, however, I'm not sure that will work as Thinkware specifically says parking will not work when using the cigarette adapter, it needs its own hardwired lead.

Team Impulse, just recommended to use the Thinkware battery but told me it would last for 3 days, which I'm sure is just a mistake on his behalf. Asked about fitting the rear camera and told it may just hang over the gap between the boot and rear screen. So that has put me off slightly, not saying that is what they would do as they obviously need to see the car.

Bromley Car Audio (BCA), openly admitted that he doesn't fit many external battery, but has explained that it wouldn't work with Cigarette adapter, recommended to get with Thinkware Battery and use all the hardwire kit. Explained that he will wire up the rear camera through the existing grommets etc and I won't see any cables. Pointed me to his instagram page and seen a lot of high end cars as well an X3. Unfortunately he is the most expensive out of the three.

Not saying that the other two are not great as they all have good reviews and pretty sure they are very knowledgeable and do a fine job, but personally I have the most comfortable feeling with BCA.

I'll update when I get mine fitted.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #12
SSBMW14
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW 840i  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks, yeah I've seen that battery, a bit lower capacity than the Blackvue one. But provides 16hrs dual channel which is more than enough.

Been ringing around and the best place I've spoken to near me is Bromley Car Audio.

Road Radio who sound good, but is offering me a solution that uses the Blackvue battery with a cigarette lighter output so Thinkware plugs in to that. Battery is hardwired, however, I'm not sure that will work as Thinkware specifically says parking will not work when using the cigarette adapter, it needs its own hardwired lead.

Team Impulse, just recommended to use the Thinkware battery but told me it would last for 3 days, which I'm sure is just a mistake on his behalf. Asked about fitting the rear camera and told it may just hang over the gap between the boot and rear screen. So that has put me off slightly, not saying that is what they would do as they obviously need to see the car.

Bromley Car Audio (BCA), openly admitted that he doesn't fit many external battery, but has explained that it wouldn't work with Cigarette adapter, recommended to get with Thinkware Battery and use all the hardwire kit. Explained that he will wire up the rear camera through the existing grommets etc and I won't see any cables. Pointed me to his instagram page and seen a lot of high end cars as well an X3. Unfortunately he is the most expensive out of the three.

Not saying that the other two are not great as they all have good reviews and pretty sure they are very knowledgeable and do a fine job, but personally I have the most comfortable feeling with BCA.

I'll update when I get mine fitted.
Look forward to the updates. Can you send the link to BCA's Instagram and how much did he quote?
      07-15-2019, 07:14 AM   #13
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Look forward to the updates. Can you send the link to BCA's Instagram and how much did he quote?
website
http://bromleycaraudio.com

Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/bromleycaraudio/

So for a Thinkware Q800 Pro 2ch, iVolt external Battery, with all the hardwire kits, £729 fitted.

The cheapest I found was from impulse car which was £599 but I would have to drive for about 1.5hrs on a good day and I didn't get the best answers to my questions. This is a lot more expensive mainly on fitting as the price of cameras is pretty much the same everywhere you go. They are local to me so it's easy to go back if I have issues.

However, just been chatting to him for an hour and so far he has been pretty up front in terms of DAB interference and the fitting bay is in the shop front itself so you can stay there and watch.

He said he is happy for me to take pictures and videos and post on this forum.

All booked in for Friday afternoon.

Last edited by mrbmwx3; 07-15-2019 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #14
SSBMW14
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW 840i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
website
http://bromleycaraudio.com

Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/bromleycaraudio/

So for a Thinkware Q800 Pro 2ch, iVolt external Battery, with all the hardwire kits, £729 fitted.

The cheapest I found was from impulse car which was £599 but I would have to drive for about 1.5hrs on a good day and I didn't get the best answers to my questions. This is a lot more expensive mainly on fitting as the price of cameras is pretty much the same everywhere you go. They are local to me so it's easy to go back if I have issues.

However, just been chatting to him for an hour and so far he has been pretty up front in terms of DAB interference and the fitting bay is in the shop front itself so you can stay there and watch.

He said he is happy for me to take pictures and videos and post on this forum.

All booked in for Friday afternoon.
Thanks mate. What did he say about DAB interference? Look forward to the pics once installed.
      07-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #15
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Quote:

Here's the reason why

Sorry for long post.
Is this 360 camera? I saw something on kickstarter vezo 360 anyone know anything about this its 360 4k and lot of features
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #16
MattXYZ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01) M40i, X5 (F15) 40d

Quote:
Quote:
Cheers, I'll have a look at them, strangely enough that's near where I picked up my car!

In fact that's right next door!!!!!
Haven't Barons BMW closed down? I believe they've merged with Borehamwood.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #17
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXYZ View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Cheers, I'll have a look at them, strangely enough that's near where I picked up my car!

In fact that's right next door!!!!!
Haven't Barons BMW closed down? I believe they've merged with Borehamwood.
Yes, moved on the 30th July, so ordered from Watford branch and picked up car from Borehamwood. Service is still there though.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #18
MattXYZ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

If you do decide to get a Thinkware, see my install write up:
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24423958

It should be pretty similar for newer Q800 model and probably can be adapted for other brands/models depending on wiring - but hopefully the fuse box and hiding of wires will be useful information.

It really is pretty straight forward! I know a few forum members have followed my guide and have asked me some questions for clarity.
Appreciate 1
mrbmwx370.00
      07-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #19
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you do decide to get a Thinkware, see my install write up:
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24423958

It should be pretty similar for newer Q800 model and probably can be adapted for other brands/models depending on wiring - but hopefully the fuse box and hiding of wires will be useful information.

It really is pretty straight forward! I know a few forum members have followed my guide and have asked me some questions for clarity.
Thanks, I'll have a read, although I'm good a theory but my DIY skills is shocking :-). Otherwise I would definitely be attempting this myself and save a few bob, oh well!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 12:42 PM   #20
MattXYZ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I should have added - congrats on the new car mrbmwx3! Look out for your car twin! I'm often in the Watford area! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #21
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I should have added - congrats on the new car mrbmwx3! Look out for your car twin! I'm often in the Watford area! ;-)
Thanks!! I'm actually from South London but went to Watford to by my first car from Riaz and he gave us a good deal on our cars this time too.

I'm not sure how long before I hit 1200 miles don't do many miles, but looking for places to go just so I can drive her!!

What a car!!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #22
MattXYZ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I see! I know Riaz too! He's a good guy.

Good luck with the dashcam install!
Appreciate 1
mrbmwx370.00