BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #67
gugin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I only came across this thread today. I also have a 2019 X3 M40i with the HK audio system (option 688). I'll be pulling F218 out tomorrow. How should I do it? Close the four doors and turn off the headunit by pressing the power button for a few seconds? On my previous car, I would disconnect the battery before touching any electrical circuits. With the X3, I don't even know where the battery is. Should I try to find it and disconnect it first before pulling the fuse just to be on the safe side? Or will disconnecting the battery land me in all sorts of trouble? I have to say that the X3 is a lot more sophisticated than my 2010 Honda CVR was.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #68
gugin
United_States
Rep

Going forward, what do you think is the solution with the lowest maintenance to disable ASD with the Harman Kardon audio? From this and other threads I gather that the options are:

1) Unplug the connector on the small amp. However, it will need to be plugged back in before bringing the car in for service.
2) Take out fuse 218. Again, it will need to be re-inserted before service.
3) Code ASD off. I will need to code it back on before service as I am worried that the dealer will give me heat if I bring a coded car to the shop.
4) Install the Technic bypass harness. I emailed Technic asking them whether the harness works properly with the Harman Kardon audio or is only intended for base audio.

If the fourth option kills ASD sound while still keeping the ASD module "visible" to the dealer, I will go that route. After installing the bypass harness, I'll never have to mess with the system again. Seems like an ideal solution to me.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4717.50
      01-19-2019, 09:38 PM   #69
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon0 View Post
I only removed F218 and yes it works well! I tried both with and without. I see a good difference. This solved the pain of removing the connector. I have Harmon system/ X3 M40i 2019. Thanks a bunch for this very useful thread
Yeah! Thank you RedDragon0 for confirming.

What is the best way to start poking around in the fuse box (power down, etc)? Do you need a fuse puller to grab the fuse?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 10:30 PM   #70
RedDragon0
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
Yeah! Thank you RedDragon0 for confirming.

What is the best way to start poking around in the fuse box (power down, etc)? Do you need a fuse puller to grab the fuse?
First off, thank you very much for providing details in the previous thread!!

Just open the fuse panel. It is on the right side inside the trunk. Remove the soundproof material that covers the fuse panel. You will see various fuses as well a small red fuse "puller" in the middle. Use this red fuse puller to remove the F218. It is yellow but could be any color I guess.

Switch off the engine to do this. No power down, battery disconnect required.

Last edited by RedDragon0; 01-19-2019 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 3
MechX3M40i1006.00
Max Well4717.50
      01-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #71
RedDragon0
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugin View Post
Going forward, what do you think is the solution with the lowest maintenance to disable ASD with the Harman Kardon audio? From this and other threads I gather that the options are:

1) Unplug the connector on the small amp. However, it will need to be plugged back in before bringing the car in for service.
3) Code ASD off. I will need to code it back on before service as I am worried that the dealer will give me heat if I bring a coded car to the shop.
4) Install the Technic bypass harness. I emailed Technic asking them whether the harness works properly with the Harman Kardon audio or is only intended for base audio.

If the fourth option kills ASD sound while still keeping the ASD module "visible" to the dealer, I will go that route. After installing the bypass harness, I'll never have to mess with the system again. Seems like an ideal solution to me.
No 2, in your list solved it for me. Simple and easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:42 AM   #72
808ron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
You may need to use this bypass harness. Says compatible with G01 X3. You could email them to confirm. A little pricey but I think worth it for the removal of fake sound.

https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/
Thanks for this. Installed the harness today works great worth the $55. Thanks to OG poster the photos helped!
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 04:47 AM   #73
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Quote:
I only removed F218 and yes it works well! I tried both with and without. I see a good difference. This solved the pain of removing the connector. I have Harmon system/ X3 M40i 2019. Thanks a bunch for this very useful thread
I'm happy it works! I'm still concerned as to why they put a 20A fuse on this. As the bypass cable proves the ASD module is a sound mixer and not an amplifier (if it was an amplifier it would be connected directly to the speakers). There is no way a mixer is going to draw that much current, I'm certain a component in the ASD module would go bang well before a 20A fuse.

Maybe in the non-HK system the HiFi amps are also on this fuse and they just didn't change it for the HK option.

Anyway, I will certainly be trying this.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 05:05 AM   #74
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

OK. I checked it out. The reason this works is that on the HK system the audio input from the headunit is supplied over a 2-wire digital interconnect (called MOST-bus). The analogue ASD sound signal is then provided separately and mixed in directly at the HK Amplifier.

On the non-HK system the audio from the headunit is sent over a 9-wire analogue interconnect which then passes through the ASD module, mixing the ASD sound in, then onto this amplifier. This is why fuse-pulling does not work on non-HK. The bypass harness is needed here.

Looking at the diagrams, the only remaining concern I have it that if you pull the fuse on the HK system it may leave the ASD analogue inputs to the HK amp floating, which might cause buzz/interference. That said, fuse pulling will be better than disconnecting the cable because the ASD module will at least stay connected to the common vehicle ground voltage.

HK System. Note the 2-wire MOST bus from the Head Unit (HU) to the amp, and that there are no inputs to the ASD module.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ers/1VncYdj36Q
Name:  hk.JPG
Views: 3311
Size:  152.1 KB

Non-HK System. Note the audio wires from the HU pass through the ASD module.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ers/1VncPC0tD1
Name:  nonHK.JPG
Views: 3330
Size:  176.8 KB

EDIT: This diagram also confirms Fuse 218 only supplies module A233 (ASD). https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ear/1Vnc7Pg177

Last edited by supersebbo; 01-22-2019 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 5
MechX3M40i1006.00
Jcrane19.50
Max Well4717.50
      01-22-2019, 09:37 AM   #75
MostlyHarmless
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Nice to know that pulling the fuse on an HK system works. I didn't get around to trying it myself because I had ordered the UniCarScan from Scantool Direct in the UK and just received it a few days ago. So, I've been playing around with Bimmercode and it was easy to disable ASD. Need to drive it some more to really determine if I like it quiet or not, and to see if there are any adverse side effects. I've also been playing around with coding my M240i and highly recommend the UniCarScan and Bimmercode if you're thinking of customizing your ride.
2002 E46 330i in OB
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #76
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Another vote for the harness if you have the base/crap stereo - I installed it today & went for a ride to the grocery store. No more fake vroom vroom sounds, stereo still plays like it did before.
Appreciate 2
Max Well4717.50
      02-02-2019, 06:35 AM   #77
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:

Thanks for summarizing the options, gugin, and for everyone's input in this thread. Did we ever figure out if option 4 is indeed 'one and done' (invisible to Svc teams and software updates, etc)? If so, I'm planning on ordering the harness as well. And is the previous link to the harness the correct one to order from? Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #78
gugin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Thanks for summarizing the options, gugin, and for everyone's input in this thread. Did we ever figure out if option 4 is indeed 'one and done' (invisible to Svc teams and software updates, etc)? If so, I'm planning on ordering the harness as well. And is the previous link to the harness the correct one to order from? Thanks all.
I have ordered the harness today (https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/). Will install it and report back.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4717.50
      02-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #79
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
I have ordered the harness today (https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/). Will install it and report back.
Thanks, gugin. I went ahead and ordered two today as well. Will also provide some input once installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 01:14 AM   #80
Jcrane
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 20d xdrive

I know it's a personal taste thing but I thought I'd try removing Fuse 218 to see what it's like.

I have to say, I prefer it with ASD off. I have the M40i with HK and I much prefer the normal sound of the engine, much quieter with every day driving. The exhaust is a gem and now I giggle to myself even more when it burbles - so infectious! Thanks for info guys!
Appreciate 2
Pretzel92.50
      02-04-2019, 04:09 PM   #81
MrPorter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 X7 M50i

Quote:
First off, thank you very much for providing details in the previous thread!!

Just open the fuse panel. It is on the right side inside the trunk. Remove the soundproof material that covers the fuse panel. You will see various fuses as well a small red fuse "puller" in the middle. Use this red fuse puller to remove the F218. It is yellow but could be any color I guess.

Switch off the engine to do this. No power down, battery disconnect required.
And when you need to take it in, you just pop the fuse back in, start the car, and you're good to go? Or, alternatively, if you decide you like having ASD on?

I don't normally tinker with cars because I'm generally inept but this seems really easy to try, as long as I'm able to reverse the effects easily.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #82
Roundel-NY
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

For those who have used the ASD harness on non-HK cars, where is the ASD module? Is it mounted behind the amp, and to get to it I either need to un-mount the amp or undo the 4 screws holding the black metal bracket it is mounted to?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 08:50 AM   #83
TC_G01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundel-NY View Post
For those who have used the ASD harness on non-HK cars, where is the ASD module? Is it mounted behind the amp, and to get to it I either need to un-mount the amp or undo the 4 screws holding the black metal bracket it is mounted to?
Is it mounted behind the amp? Yes.
undo the 4 screws holding the black metal bracket it is mounted to? Yes, you just need to move the front amp out of the way to gain access to the ASD.

Page 1 of this thread has good pics for you and I have a pic on page 2 that shows the ASD module and the harness that you need to unplug and then plug the PNP into. The one trick that I learned with the harness "lock" is to make sure it is completely open when inserting it. Let us know how it goes.
      02-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #84
fricfracfrank
Captain
United_States
Rep

The harness is needed for all audio systems other than HK right?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 05:58 PM   #85
Roundel-NY
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_G01 View Post
Is it mounted behind the amp? Yes.
undo the 4 screws holding the black metal bracket it is mounted to? Yes, you just need to move the front amp out of the way to gain access to the ASD.

Page 1 of this thread has good pics for you and I have a pic on page 2 that shows the ASD module and the harness that you need to unplug and then plug the PNP into. The one trick that I learned with the harness "lock" is to make sure it is completely open when inserting it. Let us know how it goes.
Thank you for the confirmation of the steps. 10 minutes is all it took.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:53 PM   #86
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40MSport

Hi,
Pulled fuse F218 a few days ago.
Car is much quieter now - especially cruising at motorway speeds.
Get to hear the pops and bangs better when in Sport mode!
Might have a go at opening the exhaust flap and pulling fuse F203 later.
At least both inside exhaust tips will be equally dirty then!
Cheers
Steve
Appreciate 3
Jcrane19.50
      02-07-2019, 06:15 AM   #87
RedDragon0
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorter View Post
And when you need to take it in, you just pop the fuse back in, start the car, and you're good to go? Or, alternatively, if you decide you like having ASD on?

I don't normally tinker with cars because I'm generally inept but this seems really easy to try, as long as I'm able to reverse the effects easily.
Yes, just put the fuse back in.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #88
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just pulled my 218 fuse. Easy-peezy. I kept the fuse in the storage well below the fuse panel in case I need to replace at any point.

Given the concern about the voice recognition, I tried a couple commands to test - seemed fine so far.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Appreciate 1