BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
TransferCaseActuator
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

How to recalibrate transfer case after fluid change?

While the transfer case fluid change helped a lot with shuddering rear wheels at slow, sharp turns, the issue did not go away completely for my 2008 X3.

So I am shopping around for Diagnostic Tool that would allow me to re-calibrate transfer case after the fluid change in hopes that it would eliminate remaining shuddering all along.

I checked multiple BMW tools on Amazon.com.

For some tools the seller in "Community questions" section explicitly states that it won't be able to re-calibrate E83 transfer case after fluid change. Like this one - "DIAGKING BMW INPA K+DCAN with FT232RL NCS Coding Winkfp Tool32 Programing" - https://www.amazon.com/DIAGKING-FT23...king+bmw&psc=1

So I checked the more expensive tool from the same seller, like "DIAGKING 001 INPA K+DCAN Diagnostic Cable Work with ISTA SSS NCS Coding Winkfp Programing E serials(with Switch) Support E39 E46 Compatible for BMW" and just asked seller privately if it would allow to reset transfer case. Seller replied that he is not sure.

So my #1 question is: For what specific thing in tool description I have to look at to know whether it will allow me to reset transfer case?

My #2 question is, since I have non-BMW cars too in household, then I may be ok to buy more expensive Autel tool. But then again which Autels allows to re-calibrate transfer case?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
You don't need a scan tool, but if you want one, you can get one. The almost free way is to just download and setup ISTA/D on your laptop, then with a K+DCAN cable connect the laptop to the car and re-calibrate the t-case fluid.
Or you can use the Foxwell NT510, aka ECS Schwaben scan tool...I use that usually.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
Camg816
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E83 3.0si 6mt

Do you know if this is true for any of the R50 or R53 mini's? just curious
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:13 PM   #4
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yep, tools also work on Mini since they are pretty much BMWs, I assume maintenance will be similar.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #5
CanadaeastKTM
Rep
Drives: Soon to buy X3

Was looking for this too but ended up getting bmw indie to reset the oil wear after cha go f transfer case fluid. Searched many forums and with the laptop software it’s still complicated to reset the t-case oil wear and most only guessed their way through it from trial and error. So far can’t find a scan tool for it specifically when it’s also OBD or so airbag (looks like generally 3 different scan tools for BMW and the toughest to find is the one that does transfer case oil wear reset). Will keep searching for reliable source that has procedure and reliable software to do the reset via laptop and cable.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
F30NFifty5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i XDrive 6mt / e83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransferCaseActuator View Post
While the transfer case fluid change helped a lot with shuddering rear wheels at slow, sharp turns, the issue did not go away completely for my 2008 X3.

So I am shopping around for Diagnostic Tool that would allow me to re-calibrate transfer case after the fluid change in hopes that it would eliminate remaining shuddering all along.

I checked multiple BMW tools on Amazon.com.

For some tools the seller in "Community questions" section explicitly states that it won't be able to re-calibrate E83 transfer case after fluid change. Like this one - "DIAGKING BMW INPA K+DCAN with FT232RL NCS Coding Winkfp Tool32 Programing" - https://www.amazon.com/DIAGKING-FT23...king+bmw&psc=1

So I checked the more expensive tool from the same seller, like "DIAGKING 001 INPA K+DCAN Diagnostic Cable Work with ISTA SSS NCS Coding Winkfp Programing E serials(with Switch) Support E39 E46 Compatible for BMW" and just asked seller privately if it would allow to reset transfer case. Seller replied that he is not sure.

So my #1 question is: For what specific thing in tool description I have to look at to know whether it will allow me to reset transfer case?

My #2 question is, since I have non-BMW cars too in household, then I may be ok to buy more expensive Autel tool. But then again which Autels allows to re-calibrate transfer case?
Sorry to answer your question with a question... but what happens if you don't recalibrate the transfer case post fluid swap?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #7
CanadaeastKTM
Rep
Drives: Soon to buy X3

No clear answer on that, likely nothing or it “adapts” to the new fluid anyway as part of the adaptive. Some say oil reset is likely a counter but others have felt further improvement.
I changed my oil and it improved right away, still some chunking but maybe 85% better for the most part. Drive for a few weeks without oil wear reset then finally got local indie to do it. Didn’t seem any different after or since.
I’m just hoping it doesn’t completely let go so hunting for a spare transfer case to rebuild.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 10:40 PM   #8
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaeastKTM View Post
Was looking for this too but ended up getting bmw indie to reset the oil wear after cha go f transfer case fluid. Searched many forums and with the laptop software it’s still complicated to reset the t-case oil wear and most only guessed their way through it from trial and error. So far can’t find a scan tool for it specifically when it’s also OBD or so airbag (looks like generally 3 different scan tools for BMW and the toughest to find is the one that does transfer case oil wear reset). Will keep searching for reliable source that has procedure and reliable software to do the reset via laptop and cable.
It's pretty much black and white...either the laptop has successful communication with the car and can reset the code along with the clutch pack positions or it cannot communicate and the code will still be present. Make sure to have proper port configurations and use device manager...or get a better cable such as bimmergeeks. This is a good guide to set it up: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...tid=580069&d=1
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 09:48 PM   #9
Antfern
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3

Just a thought

I am puzzled on why is the system concerned about if the oil or fluid is new or old. It must have been an expensive sensor that can sense a new fluid from an old fluid. I find it difficult to understand why a computer will sense a new and old fluid. It makes sense regarding air and fuel ratio, level of fluid (as in the case of gas in your tank) and likewise the level of fluid in your transfer case. So it feels like this recalibration is not needed. Please explain the reasoning if you are an X3 designer.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 07:32 AM   #10
englishtom1596
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW X3/ 98 BMW M3

its my belief that you don't NEED to reset it. From what i understand, the system checks the clutch pack slippage every time the vehicle is turned on. So after driving a few times, the system re learns how much lockup is needed.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:43 AM   #11
kalee
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeeguy View Post
You don't need a scan tool, but if you want one, you can get one. The almost free way is to just download and setup ISTA/D on your laptop, then with a K+DCAN cable connect the laptop to the car and re-calibrate the t-case fluid.
Or you can use the Foxwell NT510, aka ECS Schwaben scan tool...I use that usually.
How can i reset it Using nt510? Could you teach me how to do the transfercase adaptation reset? I have foxwell tool
Thank you

Last edited by kalee; 07-27-2020 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #12
03z4
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee View Post
How can i reset it Using nt510? Could you teach me how to do the transfercase adaptation reset? I have foxwell tool
Thank you
Did you ever get feedback on this?

i have the foxwell 530...essentially same thing...I'm also interested in how to recalibrate t case using the foxwell tool.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 07:05 AM   #13
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I have done this on my 328xi E92. You need ISTA to do it and run actuations on the transfer case actuator on the very least. INPA will not work at least it didn't for my car. ISTA could be had before for free as rheingold from the bimmergeeks website but now that's taken down. Still can be found through other sources
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 04:20 PM   #14
335zba
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i xdrive

My car is currently throwing code: 48079D. I have just replaced the clutch/flywheel and am running into issues with the transfer case. Only the rear is getting power and the car is stuck in comfort mode. Any ideas of what's wrong?

Where would I download ISTA? Was told I might need to recalibrate the transfer case using ISTA
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 04:25 AM   #15
RJami1
Registered
Rep
Drives: civic

I don't understand why the system cares whether the oil or fluid is fresh or used-up. It must have been a costly sensor with the ability to distinguish between new and old fluids. It baffles me why a machine would detect both fresh and stale fluid. Regarding the air-to-fuel ratio, fluid level (such as the amount of gas in your tank), and transfer case fluid level, it makes sense. Therefore, it appears that this calibration is unnecessary. In the event that you are an X3 designer, please explain the logic.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 12:29 PM   #16
gk_bimmer
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3

Cheaper options for VTG calibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeeguy View Post
I recently replaced the transfer case fluid and recalibrated VTG using Kingbolen K6 Pro. Full details in this video:

K6 is an expensive investment ($500) if only for this reset, and I was wondering what cheaper options are, such as the ISTA plus K+DCAN connection mentioned here.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:31 AM   #17
gk_bimmer
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3

Found a less expensive scanner for this

Just found a more budget-friendly (still relatively expensive at $200) option to reset the transfer case/transmission/etc. on a BMW. Hope it's okay to post a product link below; thought folks on this thread would be interested in another alternative.

LAUNCH X431 Elite V2.0 BBA Bi-Directional OBD2 Scanner for BMW, Mercedes-Benz, VW / Audi Lifetime Update
https://amzn.to/4cCUIE0

I contacted the seller and confirmed it supports these reset functions on my 2017 BMW X3.
Appreciate 0