BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-20-2021, 02:09 PM   #1079
///minh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 m3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@codemybimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoJoRo View Post
mate .. that sucks ..considering they are built / born in the USA, is that down to some US legislation or the like?
Looks like Shadowline Headlights are standard on the UK market per the build configurator.

It's a $500 option for the Canadian market per our build guide, and also have the Laserlight option as well.

The US seems to be missing both the Shadowline LEDs and the Laserlights from their 2022 builds. I suspect it would just be due to the regulations, though I still find it strange given the Canadian market gets access to these items.
Not sure if regulations got anything to do with it because other models have laser lights here in the US. At the same time, 2022 x3 m40i etc have the shadow line headlights. BMW just being BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #1080
kokhaine
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Gran Tourer M Sport (F46)

Laserlights not really popular in the US is due to Us regulations especially light intensity limits… even with cars with laserlights in the US the intensity is limited i believe so not a big difference with regular LED lights

Shadowline lights is a 300 euros option in France and Laserlights a 1000 euros option, but smoked lights and laserlights not compatible. Only one or the other

Ordered mine with laserlights

We’ll see a lot more X3 and X4s with laserlight options when they’ll start to be delivered in EU soon
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 09:21 AM   #1081
porkipine69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8MAN View Post
This wicked beast is complete , took two weeks (8/5 to 8/19) to manufacture, this was supposed to be a week 35 build, so all you week 35 builds should be getting done soon also, I would assume.

Very nice tartofu selection!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 09:24 AM   #1082
porkipine69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post
Malachite will be stunning on the X3M. Well worth the wait IMO! Please be sure to share pics once delivered.
Yes of course!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 07:04 PM   #1083
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Delivery day for my wife's '22 LCI X3MC ZDM. Will post some images in a separate thread when I get some time. Smooth transition from the pre-LCI, and rapidly up to speed with the Id7 interface (having only had Id6 in ours). Got a lot done today and hope to maybe take an early drive tomorrow for even more miles and breaking in.

Those who are opting for 'ZDM' - you won't be disappointed!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
X3MCRN175.50
///minh564.00
Spoonhead362.50
Poffman493.00
      08-21-2021, 07:41 PM   #1084
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Delivery day for my wife's '22 LCI X3MC ZDM. Will post some images in a separate thread when I get some time. Smooth transition from the pre-LCI, and rapidly up to speed with the Id7 interface (having only had Id6 in ours). Got a lot done today and hope to maybe take an early drive tomorrow for even more miles and breaking in.

congrats!

and yeah that picture…i was pretty shocked how “open” it was on the bottom when i first received the car… all open for that sweet fresh air to cool those heat exchangers.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      08-21-2021, 08:42 PM   #1085
X3MCRN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:

I felt like I wanted the pano but the amount I dislike the sun on my head with my 340 moon roof I just figured the a/c and windows would suffice for the decreased weight and performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 11:55 PM   #1086
///minh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 m3

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:

Being my first x3m, I have no idea what it'll be like with the panoramic roof. I wanted ZDM but they didn't have Cf roof as an option and the wifey wanted the pano. Now I'm second guessing and hoping I won't regret the decision with pano.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #1087
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///minh View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Being my first x3m, I have no idea what it'll be like with the panoramic roof. I wanted ZDM but they didn't have Cf roof as an option and the wifey wanted the pano. Now I'm second guessing and hoping I won't regret the decision with pano.
I wanted the pano 100%. Think it's pretty cool. Kiddos enjoy it. When I had the M3 and M4, I opted to go CF because those sunroofs suck and the CF looks really cool.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #1088
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
I've always had a sunroof on my cars and enjoy the extra light that comes in, so I opted for the panoramic sunroof on my order.

However if a CF roof were offered, I may have pondered on grabbing it just for the looks, in addition to the weight savings.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 03:02 PM   #1089
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@codemybimmer View Post
I've always had a sunroof on my cars and enjoy the extra light that comes in, so I opted for the panoramic sunroof on my order.

However if a CF roof were offered, I may have pondered on grabbing it just for the looks, in addition to the weight savings.
Weight savings impacted 0% or my decision. I won't track the car and I'm guessing most owners won't either. This forum obviously is not a good representation of the full X3M target market and many people here may choose to do so, and it's perfectly understandable.

For looks, I would have thought about it too.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #1090
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f82fanatic View Post
Weight savings impacted 0% or my decision. I won't track the car and I'm guessing most owners won't either. This forum obviously is not a good representation of the full X3M target market and many people here may choose to do so, and it's perfectly understandable.

Just pleased that BMWNA finally allowed those of us who do wish to minimize wt in our M models (especially at the worst possible location where it can negatively impact the CG) a simple 'delete pano' ZDM option. Before one had to purchase the M Driver's pkg to indirectly get it, which complicated the decision for those who didn't need/want to do Advanced M School again.

A note on the 'won't track the car' perception, though. The difference in the handling for us (with ~15K miles in each iteration with/without) was noticeable in simple everyday driving, and did not require on-ramp acceleration to Hwy speeds to feel it. As mentioned previously, just as some may not notice a diff with the I-STEP update, or between Contis and PS4S, this was significant for us. Enough to pursue the trade-in from what was an otherwise great vehicle. YMMV

Last edited by Max Well; 08-22-2021 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: Changed 'Cd' to the obviously-intended 'CG'
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #1091
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by f82fanatic View Post

Just pleased that BMWNA finally allowed those of us who do wish to minimize wt in our M models (especially at the worst possible location where it can negatively impact the Cd) a simple 'delete pano' ZDM option. Before one had to purchase the M Driver's pkg to indirectly get it, which complicated the decision for those who didn't need/want to do Advanced M School again.

A note on the 'won't track the car' perception, though. The difference in the handling for us (with ~15K miles in each iteration with/without) was noticeable in simple everyday driving, and did not require on-ramp acceleration to Hwy speeds to feel it. As mentioned previously, just as some may not notice a diff with the I-STEP update, or between Contis and PS4S, this was significant for us. Enough to pursue the trade-in from what was an otherwise great vehicle. YMMV
Good point! It's s large chunk of weight.

In my particular situation, even with a noticeable diminished agility on the street I rather have the extra light and pano look for me and the kiddos.

That being said, I have not tested both side by side… ignorance is bliss! 😃

I did test one with pano and liked how it drove and handled. That is good enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #1092
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

I'm really bummed — I have a vin can I swap to x3m I hate the fucking roofs rails ?!? I can't believe I didn't notice the x4m had black roof rails!!!!! It looks awful can I get them removed
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #1093
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostx4m View Post
I'm really bummed — I have a vin can I swap to x3m I hate the fucking roofs rails ?!? I can't believe I didn't notice the x4m had black roof rails!!!!! It looks awful can I get them removed
I find it strange that 3MC - Roof Rails are standard equipment on the X4 M in the US. It's optional everywhere else, and not even available in the Canadian order guide which I was happy about when I ordered mine.

But yes, technically the roof rails can be removed, there have been people on the forum who have removed them before. Keep in mind you would have to drop the headliner to do so.

Here's a thread from when Max Well removed the roof rails on their X3 M - https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1784073
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #1094
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Can roof rails be changed

Can the order be changed once I have a vin?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 05:46 PM   #1095
Ctriggs5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW X3 M40i.

Quote:
If you have a VIN that means you've entered production so no
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 06:08 PM   #1096
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctriggs5 View Post
Quote:
God the shit looks so bad now I feel like I should give up the entire order because the dumb roof rails!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 06:27 PM   #1097
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
God the shit looks so bad now I feel like I should give up the entire order because the dumb roof rails!
The Rail deletion project is straightforward for a BMW-Certified body shop. Might be in the $1500-2000 range depending on your locale, but it is not a difficult swap for experienced Technicians (and this is the takeaway from the folks who actually do this). The key aspect, and real mastery of this modification, is how they prep and paint the roof trim strips so they appear pristine OEM. But this is what body shops do day-in and day-out.

Think about the issues they have to correct post-MVA every single day... Don't let the issue of dropping the headliner (or the details of what it takes to do it) scare you off.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 07:51 PM   #1098
Ctriggs5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW X3 M40i.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think it will be that bad man. Car will have a fair amount of black to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 08:27 PM   #1099
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think it will be that bad man. Car will have a fair amount of black to begin with.
It's just that they stick up out of it
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #1100
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
It's just that they stick up out of it
First world problems, you'll be fine. They are removeable and you can always wrap the roof black to match and have a more aggressive look. The black two tone looks good.
Appreciate 1
X3MCRN175.50