BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #1
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Tire Pressure WTF?

Took delivery of my wife's 2019 X3 a few days ago. Was going through the Idrive settings and saw that the tire pressure ranged from 47psi to 54psi. I did a re-calibration since I could not believe that the numbers were correct. Nothing changed. I tested them with my tire gauge and sure enough they were correct. I took air out of each tire so that it would match the OEM specs, 32 psi front and 35 psi rear. When I restarted the car low tire pressure warnings were popping up. I set the monitor from all season tires to the actual tire size on the vehicle. Re set the Idrive setting by driving around the block a few times and everything went back to normal. Anyone want to offer up a suggestion as to why this happened? Does the vehicle leave the factory with higher psi for transport purposes? Should not the dealer have caught this before delivery?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #2
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
Took delivery of my wife's 2019 X3 a few days ago. Was going through the Idrive settings and saw that the tire pressure ranged from 47psi to 54psi. I did a re-calibration since I could not believe that the numbers were correct. Nothing changed. I tested them with my tire gauge and sure enough they were correct. I took air out of each tire so that it would match the OEM specs, 32 psi front and 35 psi rear. When I restarted the car low tire pressure warnings were popping up. I set the monitor from all season tires to the actual tire size on the vehicle. Re set the Idrive setting by driving around the block a few times and everything went back to normal. Anyone want to offer up a suggestion as to why this happened? Does the vehicle leave the factory with higher psi for transport purposes? Should not the dealer have caught this before delivery?
Most manufacturers over inflate the tires to prevent flat spotting during shipment especially models that spend a long time in transit. The 47/54 does seem a bit high though. Yes, your dealer should have corrected the pressures during the PDI.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 01:26 AM   #3
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

All cars I have bought new, regardless of manufacturer, have always been overinflated on delivery.

A trip to the gas station to correct tyre pressure is the first thing I do
Appreciate 0