BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-17-2019, 03:50 AM   #1
Minty
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Question Driver Assistance Systems Restricted

Hi All,
Picked up a new M40i yesterday (it's epic) and completed the 150 trip back from the dealers without issue. Driving today and the dash rebooted and a message appeared on the iDrive 'Driver Assistance Systems Restricted' and when I clicked on it it said no faults found . The dash rebooted once more but I didn't see any error messages. Not sure if it is related but I was adjusting my electric seat at the time...

Also, the passenger side (front & rear) ambient lighting does not appear to work (the drivers side front and rear works). Not a good start - what ever happened to pre delivery inspections!

Any ideas? I am thinking wiring issue or possibly software related.

Thanks
Minty

Last edited by Minty; 07-17-2019 at 04:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 04:00 AM   #2
drummerboy71
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X5, 3.0dA (G05)

Concerning the assistance system, could be that the sensor in your window was not "clear" enough (dust, fog, etc...)

The ambient lighting is a full circuit throughout your car.... so a loose connector could be the problem (at least in my car, I had a similar experience...), easy to fix by the dealer.
Appreciate 1
Minty155.50
      07-17-2019, 05:26 AM   #3
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Congrats on the new car!

That doesn't sound good though, definitely needs to go to the dealers for the ambient lights so ask them to do a diagnostics for the other fault too.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
Minty
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Congrats on the new car!

That doesn't sound good though, definitely needs to go to the dealers for the ambient lights so ask them to do a diagnostics for the other fault too.
Thanks Teaston - I enviously watched F30Post members picking up their M40x’s so thought I would join the fun. I managed to find a heavily discounted stock car with most of the options I wanted from a dealer who also wanted my old car (F31 340i) and offered me a really decent price for it

I am going on holiday in it soon so will see if it does it again or shows any other errors before I book it in.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
Thanks Teaston - I enviously watched F30Post members picking up their M40x’s so thought I would join the fun. I managed to find a heavily discounted stock car with most of the options I wanted from a dealer who also wanted my old car (F31 340i) and offered me a really decent price for it

I am going on holiday in it soon so will see if it does it again or shows any other errors before I book it in.
Great choice, they are fantastic cars!

I’m driving to Paris on Friday, really looking forward to the road trip in the beast!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #6
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Great choice, they are fantastic cars!

I’m driving to Paris on Friday, really looking forward to the road trip in the beast!
Trip maybe, but driving in Paris - not so much. Can be really hard. Be safe there (not that it is the worse place to drive.. but still...(
      07-17-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
Trip maybe, but driving in Paris - not so much. Can be really hard. Be safe there (not that it is the worse place to drive.. but still...(
I’m looking forward to it, especially driving round The Étoile!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
Minty
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi All,
Picked up a new M40i yesterday (it's epic) and completed the 150 trip back from the dealers without issue. Driving today and the dash rebooted and a message appeared on the iDrive 'Driver Assistance Systems Restricted' and when I clicked on it it said no faults found . The dash rebooted once more but I didn't see any error messages. Not sure if it is related but I was adjusting my electric seat at the time...

Also, the passenger side (front & rear) ambient lighting does not appear to work (the drivers side front and rear works). Not a good start - what ever happened to pre delivery inspections!

Any ideas? I am thinking wiring issue or possibly software related.

Thanks
Minty
***UPDATE***
The reason for the 'Driver Assistance Systems Restricted' message was I had a dashcam mounted to the screen and the wire was slightly impinging on the assistance sensors, problem solved

Also, I did some fault finding for the ambient lights (following the wiring guide on this site) and pinpointed the drivers footwell light. Took it back to the dealer advising the problem but they still insisted on stripping the car down removing all door cards and part of the dashboard

Low and behold they finally replaced the footwell light and the rest of the ambient lights started working
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 08:53 PM   #9
Morax
Registered
Rep
Drives: e82 coupe (euro), bmw x3 G01

Quote:
Congrats on the new car!

Same happened on mine G01 first day both left doors lights off, dealer keep 1 day and solved
Appreciate 0