BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-14-2019, 07:49 AM   #1
_Ascension_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - Sophisto Grey

Question to UK M40i owners

Hi,

I’m looking to purchase an X3 M40i- it’s going to be the first time I’m purchasing a car new and using PCP. Was wondering what kind of discounts/figures I should be looking at, to avoid getting brushed off with a bad deal.

Any experiences of what people have achieved on theirs most welcome!

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
dylan1357
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Comp

Garage List
Good starting point is carwow, then try and get your local dealer to beat the price or throw in some extras

Tony Lewis based at Heathrow Berry BMW is also a good option if travelling to the dealership isn't an issue for collection. Tony offers great advice focusing on online orders through himself.

tony.lewis@berrybmw.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Here are TRL's Q2 deals, not sure how they've changed for Q3

https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewto...0&t=119518

Carwow discounts are poor in my experience, drive the deal or coast2coast are better.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 09:29 AM   #4
_Ascension_
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan1357 View Post
Good starting point is carwow, then try and get your local dealer to beat the price or throw in some extras

Tony Lewis based at Heathrow Berry BMW is also a good option if travelling to the dealership isn't an issue for collection. Tony offers great advice focusing on online orders through himself.

Thanks, I work in West London, so definitely not an issue for collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post

https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewto...?f=80&t=119518

Carwow discounts are poor in my experience, drive the deal or coast2coast are better.
Brilliant, thanks- exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

Just need to work out now whether I want to put a bigger deposit in or suffer higher monthlies- I *plan* to keep the car for at least 2-3 years, but I've told myself that in the past and it hasn't happened
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Yup - i tend to use coast2coastcars.co.uk as my starting point and then contact TRL (Tony Lewis) at Berry BMW Heathrow to see what deal he can offer (which inevitably is always slightly better than coast2coast anyway).
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #6
lochview
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i (MY20 TU)

Second everything that the members here have said. I purchased my MY20 X3 M40i from Tony Lewis with a fantastic discount and he's even putting me up in a local hotel when I fly down the previous night.

No dealers here in Scotland could even get close to what Tony was offering and driving it back home will be fantastic to get to know the car!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 12:30 PM   #7
dylan1357
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Q2 deals worked out slightly better than Q3 deals based purely on my purchase experience. I waited and it's cost a little bit more...
Appreciate 1
teaston10993.50
      07-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #8
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Another vote for Tony Lewis.

Great guy to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
ClaretFozzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

And yet another vote for TRL (Tony Lewis) here.

Great guy.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #10
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ascension_ View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Just need to work out now whether I want to put a bigger deposit in or suffer higher monthlies- I *plan* to keep the car for at least 2-3 years, but I've told myself that in the past and it hasn't happened
Pay as little deposit as possible (although I pay £1k just to not look like a complete tight arse), if you're going to VT 3 years into a 4 year PCP, as you're effectively throwing away a quarter of the deposit.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #11
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm west London too and bought mine from berry Heathrow. If you'd like to check the car out before you press the button let me know and we'll go for a spin
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 12:09 AM   #12
Driving for Charity UK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

As the above. I then used Coopers Cobham after speaking with TRL. At Coopers we agreed an 8k discount on a £60k OTR price which equates to 14% discount rounded up slightly.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 02:17 AM   #13
dylan1357
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Paying a bigger deposit will bring forward the point when you'll have equity in the car, it will also slightly reduce the total amount paid over the period if you decided to keep it for the full term.

However, paying too much deposit results in a higher total amount over the period, so play around with the figures and ask Tony to work up a few finance scenarios...and check out the finance section on bmw.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 03:09 AM   #14
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
However, paying too much deposit results in a higher total amount over the period
Sorry, can you explain that?

Surely if the GFV is the same at the end (which it should be) and the finance has some element of interest (which they usually do!) then the higher the deposit the lower the financed element, and therefore the lower the total interest paid, and therefore the lower the total amount paid?
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 03:49 AM   #15
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post

Surely if the GFV is the same at the end (which it should be) and the finance has some element of interest (which they usually do!) then the higher the deposit the lower the financed element, and therefore the lower the total interest paid, and therefore the lower the total amount paid?
That was exactly my thinking too ! You pay less interest the more the deposit and GFV is still the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 04:18 AM   #16
dylan1357
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
However, paying too much deposit results in a higher total amount over the period

Sorry, my mistake.

When purchasing my current car, when I exceeded £7000 deposit the overall cost during the 36 month term went up, the dealer advised me it was the sweet spot. I assume above this they were protecting the interest made on the deal.

Just shows, don't believe everything a salesman tells you...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 04:21 AM   #17
dylan1357
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
BTW - I calculated different deposits across a 48 month deal on the bmw site and by varying between £1000 deposit up to £14584 (max bmw would allow on the X3 example) there was a saving of £1659.54 over the full term or £34.57 per month
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #18
_Ascension_
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by london_v View Post
I'm west London too and bought mine from berry Heathrow. If you'd like to check the car out before you press the button let me know and we'll go for a spin
Thanks- I actually live in SE and work near Berry’s Chiswick (Brenford!). What colour/spec is your car? Any pics/threads? PM if you prefer!

Quote:

This was my thought as well, surely you can’t be penalised for putting in more money upfront?!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #19
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
BTW - I calculated different deposits across a 48 month deal on the bmw site and by varying between £1000 deposit up to £14584 (max bmw would allow on the X3 example) there was a saving of £1659.54 over the full term or £34.57 per month
I put £20K into my PCP as my 'old' car was mine ... they had to give me money back as BMW wouldn't allow a larger deposit

The PCP for me was £189 a month for 2 years ... but I intend to pay it off next year as my pension comes through with thankfully a large lump sum.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #20
dylan1357
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by london_v View Post
Thanks- I actually live in SE and work near Berry’s Chiswick (Brenford!). What colour/spec is your car? Any pics/threads? PM if you prefer!

Quote:

This was my thought as well, surely you can’t be penalised for putting in more money upfront?!
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1632594
Appreciate 0