BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-20-2019, 06:06 AM   #1
ultimatebacon1
Rep
Drives: Looking for now

Regrets 2019 X3 x30i?

EDIT: OK, so I finally figured out how to search (yeah, the button ...I Know) and found a thread with a similar question. Apologies for the SPAM post.

Does anyone regret choosing the x30i over the M40i? I'm a pretty laid back driver and plan on using the vehicle for my daily running around. I'm not a car aficionado, so when I test drove both they were very similar. I love the sound and the acceleration of the M40i, I just don't know if I will use it enough to justify the almost $10k (CAD) price difference.

Both vehicles I'm looking at have the Ultimate Package, the 30i has the Sport Package and both have Red Fiona Merino leather interior. Other than the engine, the x30i is Black Sapphire and the M40i is Carbon Black.

The cheap bastard in me is leaning towards the x30. This will be my first BMW and I've never really driven a performance or luxury car before. Last vehicle was a Nissan Rogue (hated it).

Basically, what I'm asking is for someone who doesn't race, and doesn't really drive like a hooligan, do you think the x30i is "fun enough" or is it more just "meh"

Thoughts?

Last edited by ultimatebacon1; 05-20-2019 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

M40 is where it's at.

its not just the engine. You get

-better suspension and handling
-better sounding exhaust

-Possibility to order limited slip dif

-All the Msport goodies that are included (body kit, seats, steering)

With the new iteration coming out in August - you should be able to get a great deal with the car on the lot.
Ask for 15% off
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Get the M40i!

We went shopping for an X1. When we realized it didn’t have the blind spot system we looked at the X3 and drove the x30i. It was nice and had good power. I didn’t think I needed the M40i as like you said it was over $10K more.

Well, I drove it and fell in love. It has all the extras you can put on the x30i in the form of MSport package, but then you get that engine!

What sealed the deal is we got $10K off of MSRP...didn’t think we could get that much of a discount so never even though about buying the M40i.

Plus better resale/trade-in value if you change your mind down the road or want to get the X3M or X5M!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
Replicant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I originally went into buying the X3 with the idea that I would buy the 30i, and I am a car guy. I just didn't think the 40i would be worth it for a family/trip vehicle. I drove the 30i and it was a nice vehicle, but definitely a bit "floaty" in the handling department, and the power was adequate but nothing interesting. Then I drove the 40i just to tell myself it wasn't worth the money. I drove 50 feet and knew I was done with the 30i. Everything just felt planted, and the motor was buttery smooth. Plus I have found the 40i to be a big benefit when going on trips with the family, as the bigger brakes and larger motor make up for the weight of a family and gear. I imagine the 30i would have felt sluggish. For all that you get extra, and the discounts BMW offers, I think it's hard to pass up the M40i, it's a tremendous value (well as much as a luxury SAV can be a value).
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Go M40

Definitely choose M40i; you won’t regret it. This car is an absolute wolf in sheep’s clothing. I sold our 2018 X3 M40 a short time ago, and my big regret is buying the car off the showroom floor instead of custom ordering. I will be ordering a 2020 with every option possible, and maybe, even go X3M.
Go drive one, and give it a little WOT just for fun. You will be sold.
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #6
CINCYFAN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 & G05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatebacon1 View Post
Basically, what I'm asking is for someone who doesn't race, and doesn't really drive like a hooligan, do you think the x30i is "fun enough" or is it more just "meh"

Thoughts?
I went with the X30i and am very happy with my decision. The M40i is probably more fun, has better power, great handling, etc, but at the end of the day, I personally don't care that much. I live in the DC area, sit in horrible traffic, and generally drive conservatively.

I am very happy with my purchase and would definitely do it again. If I was making any change in my order, I'd probably add the Luxury and Executive packages.

Good luck!
​​​​​​​
Life is short, drive what you want.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
cgroves
Exalted Tire Scorcher
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i Graphite

Quote:
I find with the M40 that the opportunities to enjoy its capabilities without doing something stupid are limited BECAUSE it is such a capable vehicle. I rarely get two shifts on an on ramp before I need to match flow speed and merge in. You can have a lot of fun "working" the 30i more because it won't immediately launch you to ridiculous speeds. I also find the 30i just a little nicer on the highway when cruising long distance because it is quieter.

Would I give up my 40, no way! But there is lots of fun to be had making the 30i hustle as well, and your passengers are less likely to glare at you in the 30i.
      05-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #8
ultimatebacon1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgroves View Post
I find with the M40 that the opportunities to enjoy its capabilities without doing something stupid are limited BECAUSE it is such a capable vehicle.
This is actually what I'm worried about. Unless I take it to the track, I won't be using enough of the capabilities to justify the cost. I did drive both....Damn the test drive was fun!

Whats also influencing my decision is that I am moving to the Netherlands in a few months and will be bringing the vehicle with me from Canada (and back to Canada in 3 years). Everything I've heard about the Netherlands and driving is that they are VERY strict when it comes to speeding. I will be a bit too far away from the nearest Autobahn in Germany, and too busy with work, to get out there and "wind it up" on a regular basis.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #9
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I find with the M40 that the opportunities to enjoy its capabilities without doing something stupid are limited BECAUSE it is such a capable vehicle.
This is actually what I'm worried about. Unless I take it to the track, I won't be using enough of the capabilities to justify the cost. I did drive both....Damn the test drive was fun!

Whats also influencing my decision is that I am moving to the Netherlands in a few months and will be bringing the vehicle with me from Canada (and back to Canada in 3 years). Everything I've heard about the Netherlands and driving is that they are VERY strict when it comes to speeding. I will be a bit too far away from the nearest Autobahn in Germany, and too busy with work, to get out there and "wind it up" on a regular basis.
Ha.. You bet they are! Speed cameras everywhere. And as flat as Netherlands are, you really don't need that power here. It you might go for a trip to Alps, and that might be a different story. 30i will do more than fine there also.
      05-21-2019, 12:15 AM   #10
BuddhaTB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
I went with the X30i for my first BMW and I am happy with my decision. Mines is fairly well optioned.

I did drive the M40i when I was shopping around and it is more fun, exhaust is louder, and acceleration is real nice. But dealing with LA traffic the X30i is good enough for my needs. Also thinking back at the price difference, I would have rather jumped up to the X5 as its more luxurious.

Only regret I have on my order is not ordering the premium package to get the Heads Up Display.

Wish you the best on your decision.
      05-21-2019, 06:15 AM   #11
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Just a quick follow-up from my previous post.

The M40i is crazy fast! I agree with others that there aren’t many opportunities to flex what it has to offer especially if you live or work in the city and will be commuting with it.

However I will say when I’m cruising on the highway at about 65, it’s effortless to overtake someone else to pass. I’m sure the x30i is just as capable, but you’ll probably hear the 2.0 work a lot harder.

With the M40i being so fast I’m not sure what sense it makes to have the X3M/X4M. Maybe track and rallycross? Autobahn for sure and Utah/Nevada where you have some pretty long stretches of road with minimal traffic.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 06:20 AM   #12
ultimatebacon1
Rep

Thanks for the advice everyone! I've made the decision (with some strong arming by the wife...) I'm going to go with the x30i and likely use the difference for a new bike

i had to buy one off the lot for a couple of reasons, mostly time constraints so the final result is that in 3 weeks I will be picking up:

X3 x30i
Black Sapphire Metallic w/Fiona Red Merino and Piano trim
20" Wheels
M-sport package
Ultimate package (I think this is Canadian only package, but it is basically a combination of all the other option packages except the smoker package and some small accessories, also cuts the price of the Merino leather to $700)

Black is boring, I know. I wanted the Black Carbon Metallic or Phytonic Blue but I also wanted the Advanced Driver Assist package, the dealer didn't have any on the lot and I didn't have time to custom order.

I'm sure once I start driving this beast, I'll be back with lots of "new guy" questions. It's my first BMW after 25+ years of driving economical base model cars. How much different can this really be from a 2011 base FWD Nissan Rogue SUV? LOL

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #13
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
For me, the real difference isn't in speed, it's in just how very smooth the BMW Inline-6 engine is. I-6 are the only perfect naturally balanced engines out there (aside from V12, which is just two I-6's). They are smoother and more balanced than V8's. The 4 cylinder, on the other hand, is horribly out of balance (there is a reason they're called 4-bangers) and while there are things manufactures can do - namely counter balancing (where 2 weighted shafts run within engine and spin 2x engine speed), they are not as smooth as a inline 6.

Having driven a 1.5 yr old X30i around for two weeks while my X40i was in for repair, it was much more obvious than a new X30i, as the engine mounts had time to compress and loose some of their ability to isolate the engine from the car frame.

My point is that the M40i isn't just about "speed". It's balls out fast, no doubt, but it's a fantastic drive - incredibly smooth and powerful.

My advice on this topic remains the same. These vehicles are all big $$. Spend a little more to get the options you want. Sucks to spend a lot of money and not be totally happy with your purchase. I love all my options... EVERY ONE OF THEM. To the extent I am now buying my 3rd M40i.. as circumstances took the first two from me. I have looked over all the cars out there again and again. New 2020 GLC is a contender. But really, I love what BMW has done with this car. And BMW has perfected the inline 6 in to a perfect smooth beast. The GLC with the V6 cannot match. So... I plan to order the MY2020 M40i in July (roadster will carry me until then).

Best option for $$ is the M-Adaptive suspension. (search forums for lots of info)

There is a $$ difference. I understand many people cannot or choose not to dump more money into a vehicle. The X30i is a fine car, an excellent car. Note: it doesn't seem that it can be ordered with the M-Adaptive suspension anymore, that's a real shame.
      05-21-2019, 06:51 AM   #14
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
You may be aware that gasoline prices in the Netherlands are about 50% more than in Canada and almost double prices in some parts of the US. There will be a greater cost in driving the less fuel efficient M40i. Insurance and maintenance may also be more expensive for the M40i than the 30i.

Traffic offenses may be more rigorously enforced in the Netherlands than in Canada. Not only are there fines for speeding, but a driver's license may be suspended or a car confiscated in extreme cases.

http://www.speedingeurope.com/netherlands/

Bringing a car into the Netherlands from outside the EU can be a very bureaucratic and cumbersome process. If you fail to meet the specified requirements, the importation may be subject to costly VAT, BPM or import taxes. You may also have to pay for an inspection to register the vehicle. For example, you may need to have owned the vehicle for at least 6 months prior to importation to avoid certain taxes. Check carefully that moving with a vehicle purchased a few months earlier will not result in unexpected expenses.

http://dutchreview.com/expat/traveli...herlands-2019/

I moved to Switzerland several years ago for a four year assignment. I thought about bringing a car from the US, but after some investigation decided it was more hassle than it was worth. Instead, I bought a used car in Switzerland at a deep discount relative to a new car. Upon my return, I sold the car purchased in Switzerland for about 60% of what I paid for it, which was much less than depreciation on a new car imported to Europe. I also purchased a new vehicle under the tourist and diplomat sales program a couple months before my return. I was able to enjoy driving the car in Europe and then ship it back to the US at the manufacturer's expense. This is another alternative you may want to explore.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #15
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Having owned a 2014 F25 X3 2.8i, and now the 2018 M40, I can tell you they are far different vehicles, even over the obvious things.

I thought the F25 handled poorly if you weren't in Sport mode, then the throttle was too touchy. Someone else described it as "floaty" and I'd have to agree. Not confidence-inspiring in any driving situation. Frankly, I'd buy a car before another 4-cylinder X3.

That said, I thought the 4 had more than adequate power, if you don't require speed.

The M40 is a confident handler, in any mode. And that engine, wow! Sounds wonderful, gets about the same MPGs on the highway as my 4 did, and just higher quality throughout (admittedly the 4 was the prior model, which was rather plain).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #16
cgroves
Exalted Tire Scorcher
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
Traffic offenses may be more rigorously enforced in the Netherlands than in Canada. Not only are there fines for speeding, but a driver's license may be suspended or a car confiscated in extreme cases.
That is stricter that what is in Ontario but not completely different. We have similar fines up to 50km/h over the limit then it becomes "stunt driving" which means your vehicle is going to be seized and you'll appear in court. It is rare but you can be facing jail time for 50+ above the speed limit. It looks like in the Netherlands that occurs at 40 over the limit in cities.
      05-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #17
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone! I've made the decision (with some strong arming by the wife...) I'm going to go with the x30i and likely use the difference for a new bike

i had to buy one off the lot for a couple of reasons, mostly time constraints so the final result is that in 3 weeks I will be picking up:

X3 x30i
20" Wheels
M-sport package
Ultimate package (I think this is Canadian only package, but it is basically a combination of all the other option packages except the smoker package and some small accessories, also cuts the price of the Merino leather to $700)

Black is boring, I know. I wanted the Black Carbon Metallic or Phytonic Blue but I also wanted the Advanced Driver Assist package, the dealer didn't have any on the lot and I didn't have time to custom order.

I'm sure once I start driving this beast, I'll be back with lots of "new guy" questions. It's my first BMW after 25+ years of driving economical base model cars. How much different can this really be from a 2011 base FWD Nissan Rogue SUV? LOL

Thanks again!
Congrats on the new ride. Ours is Black Sapphire too and as you said, a little boring. We we were looking for Carbon too but none available in dealer inventory. Looking forward to your impressions.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #18
munna
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

Quote:
Great choice! I also have the 30i msport w/ ultimate package in carbon black. My biggest mistake was not going with the Tartufo merino leather. Quite indifferent about the bigger engine due to my 90% heavy traffic/city driving

Funny you mention a new bike, as I just did the same thing. The $8k saved went to my new road bike
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #19
hok020
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Ha.. You bet they are! Speed cameras everywhere. And as flat as Netherlands are, you really don't need that power here. It you might go for a trip to Alps, and that might be a different story. 30i will do more than fine there also.
But Holland is small so germany and the autobahn are close...
You can Go 250 km/hr legit and the road is awesome...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #20
TheMooseMan
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 30i

Quote:

X3 x30i
20" Wheels
M-sport package

Thanks again!
Welcome to the club of 30i users, specially the club of 30i with M-Sport and Ultimate package in Canada.

I can tell the 30i is more than capable and is also fun to drive.

Last edited by TheMooseMan; 05-21-2019 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #21
John Casey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i, 16 320i

Congrats on the new X3.

Quote:
Black is boring, I know. I wanted the Black Carbon Metallic or Phytonic Blue
Yes, a good reason to go with the x30i is...Terra Brown Metallic. (My only regret is that BMW doesn't offer the M40 in Terra Brown.)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:31 PM   #22
droftrah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3 M40i

Garage List
To me the biggest difference between BMWs is the option of 1) adaptive suspension and 2) active steering/variable steering.

Adaptive suspension not only gives you adjustable ride quality, it improves handling and feel

Variable steering makes the car feel much tighter and again improves handling.

I've driven both setups, with those both options the 30i feels 80% of an M40, if you swapped to larger wheels on performance summer tires, I doubt anyone could tell the difference from a handling perspective.

Without the aforementioned options the car does feel softer (but not as soft as a Mercedes!)

Exhaust wise, 30i also has a valve that opens in sport engine modes and it has a nice audible sound and does gurgle occasionally, though it is certainly not on a M40 level and obviously lacks the true pops and bangs.
Appreciate 0