BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-19-2019, 06:00 AM   #1
DennisCAN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90, 2018 X3 M40i

How difficult is to replace springs on X3 M40i?

Hi there,

I'm thinking of replacing stock springs on my X3 M40i with H&Rs. I am not planning to do it myself but to bring it to an experienced mechanic that have been doing excellent job on my other BMWs.

How many hours of labor is required for this this type of mod? Is there anything specific on the X3 M40i that he needs to be careful with. My mechanic has extensive experience with German cars but probably didn't have a chance to work on the new X3 yet.

Another option would be to bring the car to a BMW dealership but they might not like the idea or replacing springs as the car is still under warranty.

Thanks !
D.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 06:45 AM   #2
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 m40i

In Denver, I was quoted $1000 plus the cost of the Springs (which I could buy myself).

The $1000 included 4-wheel alignment. Which I have done in the past for $100.

A person on the forum stated that he did not "need" to do an alignment after he installed his. However, having driven a car that was out of alignment and going through a set of tires in approx 2000 miles I would NOT risk the chance of "winging it".

Best of luck to you!
Paul
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
Following as I've also been considering getting the H&R springs.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
JWright82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, X3 M40i

I'm lowered on H&R's and did have the opportunity to assist my mechanic with the installation. Going at a moderate pace with several breaks it took about 4 hours. The fronts are actually easier than the rears on this vehicle. For the front, there are several bits of under hood weather strippings, seals, and plastic covers that need to be removed to access the strut hats. On the bottom side, just be sure to carefully remove sensor wires, etc. before moving on to the actual suspension components. It's pretty much standard for strut suspension on the front. For the rear, we had to remove the cargo tracks and interior panels to access the hats. Same install process, but we really struggled getting the struts seated back in the pockets in the control arms. Beware of the axles pulling out of the dif when you're wrestling all the parts back together. One did come out on us but we were able to get back in with a little effort. The major takeaways from all of this are 1- you need to have a complete set of torx bits and metric wrenches/sockets, and a fair bit or mechanical/suspension knowledge to tackle this, and 2- be patient in removing existing components and reinstalling the parts after you've swapped springs. Lastly, we did this using a lift. I suppose it could be done with jack stands, but I wouldn't want to... Also, this is not a one man job unless you are very capable and have done it before. There is just too much going on with repositioning the struts and arms and fasteners. Good luck, I love my springs and wouldn't hesitate to go this route again.
Appreciate 3
chicagofan0018923.00
weez271.50
MechX3M40i1006.00
      05-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCAN View Post
Hi there,

I'm thinking of replacing stock springs on my X3 M40i with H&Rs. I am not planning to do it myself but to bring it to an experienced mechanic that have been doing excellent job on my other BMWs.

How many hours of labor is required for this this type of mod? Is there anything specific on the X3 M40i that he needs to be careful with. My mechanic has extensive experience with German cars but probably didn't have a chance to work on the new X3 yet.

Another option would be to bring the car to a BMW dealership but they might not like the idea or replacing springs as the car is still under warranty.

Thanks !
D.
An experienced mechanic will have no problems at all, it’s very similar to the F30 which I was able to do by myself on my drive in 3 hours.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
DennisCAN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWright82 View Post
I'm lowered on H&R's and did have the opportunity to assist my mechanic with the installation. Going at a moderate pace with several breaks it took about 4 hours. The fronts are actually easier than the rears on this vehicle. For the front, there are several bits of under hood weather strippings, seals, and plastic covers that need to be removed to access the strut hats. On the bottom side, just be sure to carefully remove sensor wires, etc. before moving on to the actual suspension components. It's pretty much standard for strut suspension on the front. For the rear, we had to remove the cargo tracks and interior panels to access the hats. Same install process, but we really struggled getting the struts seated back in the pockets in the control arms. Beware of the axles pulling out of the dif when you're wrestling all the parts back together. One did come out on us but we were able to get back in with a little effort. The major takeaways from all of this are 1- you need to have a complete set of torx bits and metric wrenches/sockets, and a fair bit or mechanical/suspension knowledge to tackle this, and 2- be patient in removing existing components and reinstalling the parts after you've swapped springs. Lastly, we did this using a lift. I suppose it could be done with jack stands, but I wouldn't want to... Also, this is not a one man job unless you are very capable and have done it before. There is just too much going on with repositioning the struts and arms and fasteners. Good luck, I love my springs and wouldn't hesitate to go this route again.
Thanks for sharing. It seems that there is a bit of work involved, and might be pricey if done by a shop. Still, you mentioned that you wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Beside the looks, what would you say is the best thing about this mod?

I am leasing my car so I might need to put back the stock springs at the end of the lease. Therefore, not sure if I should do it as it might be quite expensive if done twice, especially if the benefit is mainly about the overall appearance.

Thanks,
D
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
JWright82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWright82 View Post
Thanks for sharing. It seems that there is a bit of work involved, and might be pricey if done by a shop. Still, you mentioned that you wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Beside the looks, what would you say is the best thing about this mod?

I am leasing my car so I might need to put back the stock springs at the end of the lease. Therefore, not sure if I should do it as it might be quite expensive if done twice, especially if the benefit is mainly about the overall appearance.

Thanks,
D
My overall impression is probably skewed since I also did wheels and non-runflat tires at the same time, but I love the ride quality. It's very comfortable around town but also very composed under more spirited conditions. That, with the looks of course, was well worth the effort.
Appreciate 0