BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
hraklis1
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xdrive28i

Troubleshooting P0012 Code

Hi all,

P0012: "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

I'll try to keep this succinct. I have a 2011 BMW X3 Xdrive28i (with the N52 engine), with ~145,000 km. Back in February I had a P0012 code pop up, and eventually went on to have my VANOS solenoids replaced, as well as my oil filter.

In the interrim, I could feel some misfires upon accelerating, and replaced all of my spark plugs and coils (which seemed to resolve the problem).

Now, though the car seems to be driving fine, the P0012 code has popped up again (despite clearing the code, it pops up again).

I'm wondering what my next step should be?

After some forum digging, some easy things to check include:
- oil filter housing - apparently a loose seal can be enough to trigger things
- camshaft position sensor replacement

So my plan is to check the oil filter, and replace the camshaft position sensor. Any other thoughts? Thanks!

My torque pro diagnostic was almost normal, apart from the following failure, which I don't know how to interpret:

MID:$35 TID:$84
-
Max: 10° Min: 0°
Test result value: 12.4°
FAIL

Last edited by hraklis1; 05-17-2019 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

I think(?) those codes are 'generic' fault codes; maybe next step is to get fault codes read with BMW-specific/capable code reader before you replace any additional components.

Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2019, 11:31 AM   #3
hraklis1
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xdrive28i

So just as a followup, I started with checking my oil filter housing (which was replaced by the auto shop near me just 1.5 months ago).

Does this look odd to you? From all my research, it seems like it's completely missing the inner component with the gasket that sits within the filter. Am I correct or is this an updated style? I've linked 2 photos for reference of what I thought it should look like

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SMkwAK7CeAhjHzq88
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hraklis1 View Post
So just as a followup, I started with checking my oil filter housing (which was replaced by the auto shop near me just 1.5 months ago).

Does this look odd to you? From all my research, it seems like it's completely missing the inner component with the gasket that sits within the filter. Am I correct or is this an updated style? I've linked 2 photos for reference of what I thought it should look like

....I think you are missing that center 'spindle' that the filter element slips onto and that seals as you mentioned; as I recall it's an integral part of the cap.

Real OEM does not seem to show it detailed here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_3753 but when I looked up the details on the cap via it's p/n it shows the spindle, As seen here https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...p/11427525334/

I have same motor in my 2012 model year car (N52)..I change my on oil and as best I recall there is a spindle that the filter slips onto; pretty common on BMW cars.

This missing component may affect the oil flow thru the filter element, but I'm not sure the implications aside from potential lack of proper oil filtration.

Last edited by Wgosma; 05-18-2019 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #5
vmal21
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hraklis1 View Post

I had this issue P0012 right after i purchased the car. The dealer brought the car to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. Well they for some reason removed the inner filter cap that slides into the filter. This will cause a code for sure and also if you dont have the correct filter which they had messed up as well. Do your own oil changes or bring them to where someone has a clue on how to do so.
Appreciate 0