BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #23
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnj View Post
Same thing just happened to me on the way home.

I was in heavy traffic stopped on an downward incline. Cars in front in back of me were close. All of a sudden the car starting making a loud vibrating sound. The steering wheel didn't move, though. It sounded like when ABS is fully engaged, except that it kept doing it.

I made it stop by putting the car into park and the let go of the brake.

One thing was that the car was filthy with salt from yesterday's storm and the parking warning crap was going off constantly yesterday when the car had snow on it.

Have to say when it did this it was quite startling.
Sorry about your experience... your car's sensors still being interfered with salt and snow when that incident happened?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:56 PM   #24
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Sorry about your experience... your car's sensors still being interfered with salt and snow when that incident happened?
There was no snow today, just lots of salt caked on.
Yesterday when I was driving in the snow the cameras would come on randomly and the proximity alarms would start going off. It was a distraction I didn't need. I'll have to remember from now on to disable all the parking aids when driving in winter weather.

When the car went nuts today none of the parking alerts came up.

I'd like to know what service bulletin to reference for that software update mentioned earlier in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 01:22 AM   #25
Wizzzz
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzzz View Post
Exact same thing happened to my car.

It's a software bug with the traction control system when going downhill at low speed.

Dealer fixed it by doing a software update on the car.
Any more details on this? Like a TIS number or anything?
Afraid not
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 01:50 AM   #26
T16ole
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16ole View Post
Has anyone ever come across anything like this

It’s happened about 4 times now.

No doubt it’ll be one of those “could not replicate” issue.

Luckily I grabbed a video this time.

It’s all sorted, it was a software bug that was fixed by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 01:58 AM   #27
MattXYZ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01) M40i, X5 (F15) 40d

Quote:
Glad to hear it’s been fixed! Please can you provide more information on what the actually cause is or what the software fix was? Perhaps there is a description on the work summary print out they normally provide?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 09:15 AM   #28
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Has anyone ever come across anything like this

It’s happened about 4 times now.

No doubt it’ll be one of those “could not replicate” issue.

Luckily I grabbed a video this time.

Agree with MattXYZ that sharing a picture of the work summary would be appreciated.

Also, please keep up updated if this ever comes back again.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #29
overtime2000
Rep
Drives: G01 X3M40i, F30 328i

Would be greatly appreciated if you can share any info relating to the work the dealer did.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 03:04 AM   #30
HampshireUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i (2019)

Agreed please post up so people can check if there's has been updated and avoid this madness
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 05:26 AM   #31
Jcrane
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 20d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HampshireUK View Post
Agreed please post up so people can check if there's has been updated and avoid this madness
Hi guys, sorry to dig this one up. This happened to my wife twice this week when parking on a slight hill. The wife and kids literally all started to cry and so I need fix this. Was there any update on a service bulletin of some description for the software update that I can use to describe to the dealer? Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 07:26 AM   #32
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Agreed. It would be great if anyone who has successfully dealt with this issue could post any specifics of what was done to resolve it. My car is going in for service tomorrow and I think it'd be more helpful to have a service reference instead of just the dash cam footage.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide this.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #33
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Whoa. That's nuts. Definitely take it into the dealer and if they can't fix it - I'd see if I could exchange it for a new one. That can't be safe at all.
      04-03-2019, 09:49 PM   #34
shinyred
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

Quote:

I was in heavy traffic stopped on an downward incline. Cars in front in back of me were close. All of a sudden the car starting making a loud vibrating sound. The steering wheel didn't move, though. It sounded like when ABS is fully engaged, except that it kept doing it.

One thing was that the car was filthy with salt from yesterday's storm and the parking warning crap was going off constantly yesterday when the car had snow on it.

I had the same shuddering from the front bonnet area as well last night. Had just pumped gas and with ASS Off, exited slowly 2-5kmh on a downslope ramp onto the main road. Stepped the brakes as there was a car coming up.. the M40i just shuddered like in fits, i panicked a bit and shifted quickly to P (Park) and its stopped. Thereafter it drove normally, and i took it for a spin at Sports mode and also Manual Sports, car had no issues with that. totally weird experience man!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 02:32 AM   #35
Jcrane
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyred View Post
Quote:

I had the same shuddering from the front bonnet area as well last night. Had just pumped gas and with ASS Off, exited slowly 2-5kmh on a downslope ramp onto the main road. Stepped the brakes as there was a car coming up.. the M40i just shuddered like in fits, i panicked a bit and shifted quickly to P (Park) and its stopped. Thereafter it drove normally, and i took it for a spin at Sports mode and also Manual Sports, car had no issues with that. totally weird experience man!
Hmm so it's still happening for others as well. I'll book my car in and see what they say. I'll also share this post with them too so they can see thy I'm not crazy
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #36
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My car is in for an oil change and seasonal wheel swap today and I showed the video of the incident to the service writer. He called out the shop foreman, who hadn't seen this happen before. He was going to review the bulletins and see if he could come up with anything. It's only happened once to my car and that was more than a month ago.

I was in the same spot in the same stop and go situation last week and the car didn't do it.

If they find anything I'll report it all back to this thread. They made copies of the video and were also going to send it to BMW NA.

Btw, they both thought it was hysterical when I said "what the f- was that?" on my dashcam vid. The foreman said that's exactly what he was thinking.
Appreciate 1
Jcrane19.50
      04-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #37
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok, so I got my car back this afternoon. They said that there was a bulletin on this and a software update to address.

Here's what it said in my service order:

"FOUND ADVANCED BULLETIN FROM 11/1/18.I LEVEL OF 18 11 510 REQUIRED.VEHICLE CURRENTLY AT 18 03 541.PROGRAM/CODE COMPLETE VEHICLE.CLEAR FC.INITIALIZE RIDE HEIGHT SENSORS AFTER PROGRAMMING.INITIALIZE REAR TRUNK LATCH LID.ALLOW TO SLEEP AND TEST DRIVE OK."
Appreciate 2
MechX3M40i1006.00
Jcrane19.50
      04-04-2019, 09:10 PM   #38
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so I got my car back this afternoon. They said that there was a bulletin on this and a software update to address.

"FOUND ADVANCED BULLETIN FROM 11/1/18.I LEVEL OF 18 11 510 REQUIRED.VEHICLE CURRENTLY AT 18 03 541.PROGRAM/CODE COMPLETE VEHICLE.CLEAR FC.INITIALIZE RIDE HEIGHT SENSORS AFTER PROGRAMMING.INITIALIZE REAR TRUNK LATCH LID.ALLOW TO SLEEP AND TEST DRIVE OK."
Good info! Finally some 'official' words posted here on this issue.
Appreciate 1
johnnj107.00
      04-04-2019, 09:34 PM   #39
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
this happened to me once in my M40i, I called the dealer, reported the issue, had them look at it but never found a problem. The issue never occurred again before I sold the car
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 04:20 AM   #40
Jcrane
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you so much mate, really appreciate the time you took to provide an update. Now it's my turn to get this sorted! Legend.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2019, 08:51 AM   #41
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrane View Post
Thank you so much mate, really appreciate the time you took to provide an update. Now it's my turn to get this sorted! Legend.
Glad to help. I think without the benefit of my dash cam footage I'd have had a much harder time of it.

The only downside so far is that it whacked a bunch of my coded settings. Trying to schedule another session with Almaretto to get it back to my preferences.

I'm also wondering about the mention of the trunk lid. I had phantom openings of mine (including one that resulted in a $2800 repair) so I wonder what this was all about. I haven't had the issue since it was coded to only open when the car is unlocked, so hopefully whatever this is doesn't cause a regression.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:59 AM   #42
Relayze
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I have had this shake twice last year and I thought it was gone. Suddenly it happened yesterday again. It started while stopping at a stop sign. Def related to brakes since I could feel it starting when I was braking. Anyway, here is my video. Glad it can be fixed with a software update.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #43
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayze View Post
I have had this shake twice last year and I thought it was gone. Suddenly it happened yesterday again. It started while stopping at a stop sign. Def related to brakes since I could feel it starting when I was braking. Anyway, here is my video. Glad it can be fixed with a software update.

Time to go see dealer ASAP and show them this thread as well as your video. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #44
dj_intrinsic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Time to go see dealer ASAP and show them this thread as well as your video. Good luck!
Any update from the dealership about this?

I just got mine back from a scheduled oil change and when coming to a stop at my apartment complex's front gate (underground) this started happening to me as well. 1st time since getting the car with 7xxx miles on it. Scared the S**T out of me!
2023 G80 MT / AW / Fjord Blue/Black | KW HAS | Apex VS5RS F:20x10+8 285/30-20 R:20x11+18 305/30-20 | Maxton Street Pro Splitter | OEM M3CS Grille | SST Valve Controller | CS Style Yellow DRL | MAD Non-Res Single Midpipe
Past: 2018 X3 M40i | 2016 M-Sport X1 | 2013 MT M-Sport 328i | 2021 Audi A6 Allroad
Appreciate 0