BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
Alexm1982
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6 M50i

AC Doesn’t get cold

I have an 11 month old 2018 X3 M40i and now that it’s warming up, the A/C doesn’t get cold. I took the car to the dealer and after 1 full day, they can’t figure out what’s wrong with the car. Has anyone had this issue before? In the morning the A/C gets cold but at the end of the day, the car doesn’t get cold in just 70 degree heat. If the dealer can’t resolve the problem, what options do I have with BMW of America?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
Replicant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Have you adjusted the fan speed range ?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replicant View Post
Have you adjusted the fan speed range ?
This is a great question. The X3 is the first car I ever own which does not seem to adjust fan speed 'automatically' to set temperature even if I turn on the 'Auto' mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20i M-Sport (G01)

That's just it?
"We can't find the problem?"
Period..?

I would try another dealer..
Or generic shop..
Or even an AC service company.

Can't be that difficult... Closed circuit.
Temp. Sensors.. and that's it..
      05-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #5
Replicant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
This is a great question. The X3 is the first car I ever own which does not seem to adjust fan speed 'automatically' to set temperature even if I turn on the 'Auto' mode.
So it’s a little different than others. Basically when it is in auto mode, notice how it still indicates the fan level. Also you can move the fan level while still in auto mode. Basically what that fan level is, is how aggressively you want it to cool. So for instance if you have it at fan level one and you get in the car and it is super hot, it will stay on quiet fan and take forever to cool, but if you put
It on the highest one it will blast and then slow down once cooler. And you have a range in between.

At first I didn’t like it, but then I realized how often in my Audi for instance that I temporarily turn the temp up so that the fans aren’t going full speed and then slowly adjust until I cool it down. Basically BMW allows you to not only set the temp, but also how aggressively you want to maintain that temp.
Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00
      05-19-2019, 07:17 AM   #6
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 m40i

I am definitely with you on this one!

I did learn something that helped and I bet it will help you.

If you have the rear HVAC, turn it to the lowest setting (ie 60), aim the two vents UP toward the armrest, and then turn off "default setting" in the HVAC menu.

(Press the menu button on the HVAC controller to get to the menu to turn off the default (72 degrees) setting on the rear HVAC).

This will add to the coolness in the cabin. Especially, if no one ever sits in the back!

Now to find out how to curve the vents under the seats to blow on the bottom of the seats (cooled seats!!!!).

Paul
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepersjoey View Post
I am definitely with you on this one!

I did learn something that helped and I bet it will help you.

If you have the rear HVAC, turn it to the lowest setting (ie 60), aim the two vents UP toward the armrest, and then turn off "default setting" in the HVAC menu.

(Press the menu button on the HVAC controller to get to the menu to turn off the default (72 degrees) setting on the rear HVAC).

This will add to the coolness in the cabin. Especially, if no one ever sits in the back!

Now to find out how to curve the vents under the seats to blow on the bottom of the seats (cooled seats!!!!).

Paul
Wouldn't it be easier just to turn off the rear AC? Wouldn't it be blowing colder air from the front? :
      05-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
TomTomTom
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Same issue. Worked fine last summer. Now have to have set to 60 or MaxAC to get ANY cold air. Otherwise blows warm.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:55 PM   #9
b.guggenmos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M40I Phytonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replicant View Post
So it’s a little different than others. Basically when it is in auto mode, notice how it still indicates the fan level. Also you can move the fan level while still in auto mode. Basically what that fan level is, is how aggressively you want it to cool. So for instance if you have it at fan level one and you get in the car and it is super hot, it will stay on quiet fan and take forever to cool, but if you put
It on the highest one it will blast and then slow down once cooler. And you have a range in between.

At first I didn’t like it, but then I realized how often in my Audi for instance that I temporarily turn the temp up so that the fans aren’t going full speed and then slowly adjust until I cool it down. Basically BMW allows you to not only set the temp, but also how aggressively you want to maintain that temp.
Took me awhile to figure this out as well. You have a great explanation and the book was not really clear on this. I picked the middle position for fan speed and seems about right.
1965 Comet Cyclone 289 4 Speed
1932 Ford Five Window Coupe
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:10 PM   #10
Zachp13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M

Garage List
21 X3M  [0.00]
I took mine in last year and it had run out of refrigerant but it took them awhile to diagnose as they couldn’t find a leak and the AC system wouldn’t charge. They finally got it charged and I went on my way. Didn’t notice that it had stopped working this last winter until the outside temps warmed up but took it in again and they had to swap in a new compressor. Runs cool now.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
Neo1130
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Joe View Post
That's just it?
"We can't find the problem?"
Period..?

I would try another dealer..
Or generic shop..
Or even an AC service company.

Can't be that difficult... Closed circuit.
Temp. Sensors.. and that's it..
Some cars aren't that easy. My 2001.5 Audi A4 actually FOR SOME REASON, had the A/C signal going through the MAF. Well, if you know Audi in that era, MAF's were a big issue and constantly failing. Mine actually made it to where the A/C wouldn't turn on. The dealer didn't even know this was possible. I had to get the wiring diagrams from them and I traced every single wire that had to do with the A/C... I could trip it manually and it got REAL cold but the signal just wasn't making it to the compressor to trip it on. Turns out I helped about 5 other people in the community with this same issue and haven't seen any other cases. Not saying that's the case here but I have no clue why Audi would run that through the MAF.

Took me over 2 weeks of constant troubleshooting and tearing the car apart to figure this out. Changed the MAF and A/C magically started working again.
Appreciate 0