BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i - Sold

Garage List
Cross-shopping observations X3 M40i vs expected 2020 GLC43

Hello all,

New to the forum from New Brunswick, Canada. Posted this on Bimmerfest but figured it would make more sense to post here since X3 forum much more active.

I am currently cross shopping the X3 M40i and the Benz GLC43 (SUV, not coupe). I thought I would put down my own observations on here to see if anyone disagrees or can shine any light on anything I’m missing.

Background: I currently have a 2017 Benz C43 AMG, which is essentially the car version of the GLC. Same interior, same drivetrain, same tranny, etc. Looking for something still fun to drive but more practical, with a better ride, etc. The AMG Magnetic coil suspension in the C43 is very rough, even in Comfort Mode. Pretty brutal in Sport +. My lease is due in May 2019, which would be good timing to order a facelifted 2020 GLC43 if I wanted to.
I have test driven both SUV’s but have owned the C class so am very familiar with the powertrain, benz features, etc.

I am also more comparing to what the 2020 GLC43 redesign will be vs the current GLC. Most changes that came on the refreshed 2019 MB C43 will show up on the refreshed 2020 GLC43 – bigger turbos (more power, rated at 390ish hp), different front fascia, different front grill (now has the pre-facelift C63 grill), upgraded infotainment, new digital gauges, new rear diffuser and quad oval tail pipes, etc.

My observations:

EXTERIOR LOOKS – Based on 2019 (pre-facelift) GLC, the X3 M40i is the fresher and better looking of the two, for the most part. The 2020 changes to the GLC should make the diffuser and exhausts much nicer on the GLC. Haven’t seen it yet so hard (on a GLC, seen it on C43 and it's awesome) to say. X3 wins for now.

INTERIOR – Interior craftsmanship and material quality, definitely AMG. While the new gen X3’s interior has come a long way from the previous gen, material quality is not on par with Mercedes, IMO. MB has nicer shaped seats, the fit and finish is nicer, tighter. The buttons on the AMG are much more premium, they feel solid and substantial. X3 buttons look and feel like regular matte black plastic, nothing overly premium about them. MB buttons are solid and don’t wiggle when you play with them, same applies to the vent louvers and adjustment knobs, the Benz just feels highly premium. Above is based on having the $250 Dark Ash Open Pore wood trim option in the Benz – the standard piano black plastic does feel cheaper. But premium trim vs premium trim, Benz wins by a good margin. The X3 should have power tilt and telescoping steering wheel (AMG does) at this price point.
The AMG flat bottom steering wheel is MUCH nicer than the X3 M Steering wheel. AMG wins that one. Only downside is that AMG flat bottom does not come heated, where the M steering wheel does. Important here for us Canadians! Still, AMG ftw!

In terms of interior design, I prefer the X3’s console shifter and like the integration of the screen versus the stuck-on iPad look in the Benz. The digital dash in the X3 is very nice, although the digital AMG dash that is in the 2019 C43, if it makes it to the GLC, is much nicer and more customizable. Call it a draw.

ACCELERATION – Both are very fast. AMG is a bit faster in its current state and the 2020 with its extra 25hp boost should be that much faster due to the bigger turbos. AMG wins.

EXHAUST AND ENGINE SOUND – Pleasantly surprised by the X3’s sound, did not expect that at all. The X3 exhaust snaps and crackles a bit more frequently than the AMG. The AMG exhausts (both the standard AMG Sport exhaust and the optional AMG Performance exhaust with flap button) are louder than the X3 (sport exhaust barely louder, performance exhaust much louder) and the tone on the AMG is nicer. The only time the X3 felt louder was on cold starts – not sure if it revs higher than the AMG at cold start, but it did seem louder. My impression of the BMW sound is that it sounds really nice, but almost feels like they are trying too hard to get with the trend of obnoxious exhausts, but I still loved it. AMG seems more natural.

PRACTICALITY – X3 wins – feels bigger overall with a more usable trunk area than the AMG. Felt like more rear seat room, overall interior felt bigger.

CABIN SOUND – X3 noticeably quieter.

ENGINE – The B58 i6 is an amazing engine – linear power delivery is VERY nice. X3 has the more linear power delivery, the AMG V6 is more a of a brute. Both are good but would still say the X3 wins, that engine is dope!

TRANNY – The ZF 8 speed is very nice, shifts fast and smooth, always seem to know what to do and which gear to be in. The 9G-Tronic in-house tranny in the AMG is much nicer than the previous 7 speed, but still think the ZF is nicer. The 9G can stutter sometimes and not know if it should downshift or not. The Benz, when put into Sport +, shifts much more aggressively. Those rough shifts in Sport + gave the AMG some added character and sportiness. Still, the ZF in the X3 wins overall.

RIDE COMFORT – While definitely not the case in my C43, the GLC43 with its AMG Air Ride suspension has much better overall suspension than the X3. Can’t beat air ride and in comfort mode the GLC is more forgiving. In Sport +, both suspensions are excellent for handling.

HANDLING – The AMG definitely has better handling and road holding. Apparently on the skid pad the AMG is way ahead of the X3 in terms of road holding.

SOUND SYSTEM – Premium sound vs premium sound, the AMG Burmeister systems runs circles around the X3 Harman Kardon system. To me it’s not even close. I was very disappointed in the HK system. The bass in the HK system started distorting at much lower volumes than it should have and the clarity and soundstaging was not up to standard for a vehicle in this price range, IMO. Burmeister system is VERY good. I have it in my C43 and know it very well. No contest, AMG wins.

INFOTAINMENT – New touchscreen iDrive system is much more advanced than the current GLC’s COMAND system. The 2020 GLC is getting an updated version with a more widescreen interface and with Apple Carplay/Android Auto. X3 wins here. Interior tech is nicer, infotainment simpler to control with option of touch screen versus wheel, etc. Gestures is a gimmick but I thought it was cool. Menus in the BMW are more intuitive, stuff is easier to find and navigate. ConnectedDrive is a nice feature. X3 wins, but 2020 GLC will close the gap significantly.

OVERALL DRIVING DYNAMICS – Both excellent vehicles. The X3 was good all-around driver, but felt a bit more artificial. The AMG has a sportier character – the exhaust sound, the hard shifting in Sport + kind of give it a more raw, gnarly experience. AMG overall is more aggressive, the steering wheels, sportier seats, digital display, etc. – all sportier. The X3 was more subdued but still surprisingly sporty and fun to drive.

OVERALL IMPRESSION - My impression was the X3 is good in all departments, kind of an all rounder. Not particularly bad at anything (except sound system) and not particularly amazing at anything either. The AMG a bit more all over the map, amazing in certain things and lacking in others.

I think this is a real toss up, however I am currently leaning towards the X3. May have something to do with the fact that the X3 is a fresh full redesign vs the facelifted GLC coming next year. GLC getting longer in the tooth with some older tech, however it still outperforms in terms of acceleration, handling and comfort. Not bad for a 4 year old platform.

Financial, I do think the X3 will lease cheaper than the GLC. MB does discount a bit more, but starting MSRP is higher. X3 should have higher residual since it’s a 2nd year model (2019) and I do get fleet discount with BMW that I don’t get with MB. I would get my loyalty lease rate discount with MB, though. Even with that I think the X3 will come in cheaper and with prepaid maintenance included.

Did I miss anything – would love to get some feedback from others that have cross-shopped the two or are currently considering them!

Jeff
Appreciate 2
Babs50.50
      12-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
LostX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

I was looking into the GLC 43 too until I kept reading about people complaining of "crabbing". Something with The front suspension? Im not entirely sure, but too many people were complaining so I just stopped looking at it.

Nice write up - Thank you.
Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00
      12-04-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostX View Post
I was looking into the GLC 43 too until I kept reading about people complaining of "crabbing". Something with The front suspension? Im not entirely sure, but too many people were complaining so I just stopped looking at it.

Thanks. Goggled this issue on the GLC 43 and found a bunch of links and videos. Saw one video and immediately thank my lucky star that I did not consider this car.

I really feel the pain for those whom suffered from steering wheel vibration in early model of X3, but the grass might not be greener at MB...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Quote:

Thanks. Goggled this issue on the GLC 43 and found a bunch of links and videos. Saw one video and immediately thank my lucky star that I did not consider this car.

I really feel the pain for those whom suffered from steering wheel vibration in early model of X3, but the grass might not be greener at MB...
Crabbing on the GLC only seems to affect the RHD versions, MB never made the old GLK as a RHD model due to complications in switching the steering, they made it work for the GLC but apparently with compromises and that seems to be causing the crabbing issue

At one point in UK dealers were supposedly asking buyers to sign waivers that they had had been told about the 'characteristic' of tyre skipping and would have no come back about the issue

Even though I never experienced it I would never consider one because of that but LHD versions should be OK
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Crabbing on the GLC only seems to affect the RHD versions, MB never made the old GLK as a RHD model due to complications in switching the steering, they made it work for the GLC but apparently with compromises and that seems to be causing the crabbing issue

At one point in UK dealers were supposedly asking buyers to sign waivers that they had had been told about the 'characteristic' of tyre skipping and would have no come back about the issue

Even though I never experienced it I would never consider one because of that but LHD versions should be OK
wow - sign a waiver before you can buy the car?

Learn something new everyday :
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

wow - sign a waiver before you can buy the car?

Learn something new everyday :
There was a website dedicated to it 18 months ago but that seems to have disappeared, I take it that guy must has settled with MB

A few bits here about it, first one has a screen shot of waiver

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...2697&i=360

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/mi...rabbing-issue/
Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00
      12-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
LostX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LHD folks are complaining as well. They're pissed MB is only acknowledging RHD cars.

I haven't been to their forum in a few weeks, but people on the US are complaining too.

Also, I've mentioned this (crabbing) to 2 separate MB dealers (both in NJ) and neither have replied to me. They were following up to see if I was still interested in the GLC, so I asked about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LHD folks are complaining as well. They're pissed MB is only acknowledging RHD cars.

I haven't been to their forum in a few weeks, but people on the US are complaining too.

Also, I've mentioned this (crabbing) to 2 separate MB dealers (both in NJ) and neither have replied to me. They were following up to see if I was still interested in the GLC, so I asked about it.
I hadn't realised it affected LHD cars although gave up reading about it well over a year ago

Seem to remember MB claimed it was due to repositioning of front differential on RHD cars so that sounds BS if LHD cars have the same issue
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
OzX3M40i
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

Jeff, I think you will find that a current state glc43 is a fraction slower than an X3M40i. This is comfirmed on their published figures also. 0-100 4.8 (X3M40i) vs 4.9 (glc43).

A friend has an 18 model and it will be half a car length behind in a 0-100km/hr run but the most noticeable difference is mid gear acceleration between 60-100. The X3M40i is more responsive, and pulls away in comparison. Both great cars though.

Regarding the updated glc43 2020 with a higher power output, I also remember reading that the X3M40i will be coming out with more power also. I understand it’s a game of numbers between MB and BMW, but good for us drivers
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 07:20 PM   #10
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thank you for all the comments. I have not noticed the crabbing issue when test driving. I believe it is only at slow speed and only at max steering angle. Porsche Macan's also do this apparently.

To make this decision even harder, went in to my MB dealer this afternoon, where they just received a 2019 C43 AMG Wagon and a 2019 C300 Coupe. Got to see the new rear valance/diffuser and quad oval tail pipes in person on the C43. They look absolutely bad ass. Also got to listen to the exhaust with the flaps open (AMG Perf Exhaust). Man it sounds nice! Several levels better than the M40i sound in terms of tone and volume.

The C300 Coupe had the new digital instruments (the C43 didn't) and the redesigned COMAND system from the E class. The digital instruments are amazing - WAAYY better than those offered in the X3. The infotainment is also much nicer to look at (versus pre-facelift) and the added Carplay/Android Auto is nice. Also nice to control the infotainment from the steering wheel touchpad (Blackberry patent!). Overall very impressed with the tech improvements for the refresh. I think it makes it fresh enough to stay competitive with the X3.

Also, the MB Saddle Brown AMG leather with the Walnut open-pore wood was amazing. BMW can't hang with the interior.

So torn... I guess I need to see if the cosmetic changes for 2020 are enough to get me onboard with the GLC in terms of exterior appearance.

Summary :

Important things to me :

1) Exterior appearance - currently the X3 M40i with 21 inch wheels is winner
2) Interior - the AMG, especially the expected 2020 with the AMG steering wheel wins by a landslide
3) Ride comfort and handling compromise - Air suspension in AMG wins
4) Sound system - The HK in the X3 is a major letdown - sound is important to me.
5) Deal - 2019 GLC vs 2019 X3 - the X3 leases much better. Higher residual and also a significant fleet discount on BMW. I expect the 2020 GLC will get a price increase - the C43 went up about $2400 CAD in price from 2018 to 2019. If MB increases the price by the same on the GLC for 2020, there will be about a $4-5000 difference between X3 and GLC43. GLC should get a residual boost on the 2020's.

Of those 5, 3 are for AMG and 2 are for the X3. That being said, exterior appearance and deal hold more weight than the others so it's pretty close...

I would say both are really fun to drive and you can't go wrong from a driving dynamics perspective with one or the other...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #11
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

MB has more prestige for what it's worth, nicer dealerships, but if my experience is any indication higher out the door/monthly costs and ownership costs. Free maintenance on the BMW is awesome. Isn't the GLC due for a refresh? Seems a little long in the tooth. One other factor - reliability - my old ML350 had serious issues whereas my last two BMW's had none....BMW wins. Overall the BMW ownership experience has been better for me.
'18 X3 M40i Carbon Black/Cognac
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #12
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i 2018 & X128i 2014

I researched that crabbing issue.... no thanks. I'd run from that.

I don't see any crabbing for the Macan.

I think the C43 is a nice machine so is the x3 M40i. To me it would come down to which one you liked driving everyday better. I'd look at sound proofing and which one is quieter etc too while your at it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:44 AM   #13
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

OP, you’ve not mentioned the 2020 M40i. There’s lots of changes coming, such as more power, fully digital dash, the list goes on.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #14
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
OP, you’ve not mentioned the 2020 M40i. There’s lots of changes coming, such as more power, fully digital dash, the list goes on.
I was not aware of changes coming for 2020 for the M40i - is there a source for this info?

Although, in my case, as my current lease is with MB, I can get them to extend my lease month to month if I have an MB ordered. I can't do that if I switch to BMW so would need to find a way to bridge the gap between my May 2019 lease expiry and the arrival of a 2020 M40i. I guess I would need to see what the changes are to see if it's worth it...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #15
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestr View Post
I was not aware of changes coming for 2020 for the M40i - is there a source for this info?

Although, in my case, as my current lease is with MB, I can get them to extend my lease month to month if I have an MB ordered. I can't do that if I switch to BMW so would need to find a way to bridge the gap between my May 2019 lease expiry and the arrival of a 2020 M40i. I guess I would need to see what the changes are to see if it's worth it...
There’s loads of discussion in the G01 section, you just need to look for it!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #16
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
There’s loads of discussion in the G01 section, you just need to look for it!
Found it - thanks!

30hp bump and new gauges/interior seems cool. Not sure I'd wait though since my lease is up in May...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #17
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Awesome description, i agree with everything you wrote. After a few years of blissful abuse of N54 and N55 engines, i got used to M Performance bulletproof reliability. As a rule i google "problems" and forums. Since the BMWs share common architecture across 4 and 6 cylinders, no surprise. However i was stunned by the GLC posted issues. I thought the X3 M Perf vs GLC 2020 would be close, but, aesthetics aside, no indicators that AMG fixed things that should never be associated with its name..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 07:36 PM   #18
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

mate youre not going to go wrong either way. if you dont need the additional space and want it to feel more like a car, then just go the GLC again!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #19
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys... my 19 M40i that I ordered has arrived at the dealer and I am picking it up next Saturday. Can't wait
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019143.00
      05-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #20
Aliendrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i 24 X3 M40i

Garage List
2023 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Don't forget the pictures
Appreciate 1
nvestr150.50
      06-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #21
Buffalo Justice
Registered
Rep
Drives: MB GLC 43 AMG

Reviving this thread

Hey guys, new to the forum. I purchased a 2019 MB GLC43 (SUV) and began experiencing the "crabbing" issue as soon as the weather turned cold here in VA. I've been mulling over switching out to a 2020 BMW X3 M (might even load up for the X3MC) but am now gun shy about this crabbing issue.

My understanding is that this typically happens with 21" high performance summer tires (which my GLC is equipped with) and I wasn't sure if anyone was having these kinds of issues with either the X3M or X3MC. Anyone out there that can give me some advice on this?

Full disclosure, I know next to nothing about mechanics/engineering, so go easy on me! I like fast cars and fast women and that's about where this starts for me haha!!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #22
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

Quote:

It was the crabbing wrecking tyres, and the fact I read Mercedes were even giving customers a letter stating it was normal, that put me off the Mercedes totally
Appreciate 0