BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BMW X3/X4 Forums BMW X3 (G01) / X4 (G02) Forum New M40i - PCD, Seats, Potholes...

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
sprokai
Lurker
sprokai's Avatar
122
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT LSB
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianoplace IN

iTrader: (0)

New M40i - PCD, Seats, Potholes...

Took delivery a couple of weeks ago at the PCD in Spartanburg. Awesome day! This thing can take some serious abuse on the handling course. Off-road course was also a lot of fun.



New owner notes:

- It's quiet and smooth and solid and fast!
- It's quiet until you hit the Sport Plus setting. Then it sounds meaner than my M3 Comp!
- Acoustic Glass was worth the $150
- Ventilated Seats are totally comfortable enough for me and the wife. But they are not "body-hugging" at all, especially compared to my M3 seats, of course. We hit many very windy roads on the way home and we were sliding around as we pushed it, but no real complaints. The long highway hours were fine too.
- Ventilated Seats don't seem to ventilate all that well. I will have the dealer check this just to make sure they're working properly. I hear the fans blowing, but never really feel any cool air.
- So far no issues with mysterious tail gate opening issues
- Spare Tire option worth every penny! 80 miles from home we hit a giant pothole in the center of the highway while changing lanes. That completely destroyed the right front tire. Two gaping holes in the side wall. We drove slowly on the shoulder for two miles no problem and put the spare on to complete the trip. The wheel had a couple of small nicks, but stayed round and true.
- It was a great 750 mile drive home and we're mighty impressed overall

The Build:
2019 M40i
Phytonic Blue
Driving Assistance Package
Driving Assistance Plus
Premium Package
Executive Package
M-Sport Diff
Adaptive M Suspension
21" Wheels
Trailer Hitch
Acoustic Glass
Space Saver Spare
Front Ventilated Seats
Wireless Charging
Harmon Kardon Sound

Huge thanks to all the forum members for all the data, info, opinions, comments etc. It was extremely helpful to make an educated buying decision.
Appreciate 3
      04-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
sprokai
Lurker
sprokai's Avatar
122
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT LSB
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianoplace IN

iTrader: (0)

Some pics
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 6
Lux700491.00
BMWZ4620.50
JustChris7274.50

      04-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #3
chicagofan00
Captain
chicagofan00's Avatar
United_States
563
Rep
821
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Congrats on the new X3! Sounds like a great trip minus the pothole.
__________________
Current - 2019 G01 X3 ///M40i in Glacier Silver w/Cerium Grey trim delete, gloss black Roundels
Past- 2005 E53 X5 3.0i; 2008 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 12:23 PM   #4
speeddeacon
Second Lieutenant
108
Rep
252
Posts

Drives: 2016 750i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
We just did our PCD this week. We have almost identical builds. Even have some BRP pix to post 😀
__________________
2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue/Oyster
Past BMWs: 2016 750i xDrive 2013 335i Sedan Sport Line, 2005 645Ci Coupe 6MT, 2001 M5, 2001 540i 6MT, 2001 M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
MechX3M40i's Avatar
United_States
924
Rep
1,699
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: MidWest USA

iTrader: (0)

Congrats! Great looking car and awesome color choice

Great to hear that you had a fun time driving home from Spartanburg despite the pothole incidence! Your choice of spare tire option paid off immediately !
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
speeddeacon
Second Lieutenant
108
Rep
252
Posts

Drives: 2016 750i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprokai View Post
- Ventilated Seats don't seem to ventilate all that well. I will have the dealer check this just to make sure they're working properly. I hear the fans blowing, but never really feel any cool air.
BMW ventilated seats don't cool, by the way. It's one of the things we disliked most about our 750. BMW is quite explicit about that distinction. Thats why we didn't bother to spec ours with them. Our Porsche, as well as Infiniti and Ford all cooled great. I find the seats to be quite firm with a lot of lateral support.
__________________
2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue/Oyster
Past BMWs: 2016 750i xDrive 2013 335i Sedan Sport Line, 2005 645Ci Coupe 6MT, 2001 M5, 2001 540i 6MT, 2001 M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
sprokai
Lurker
sprokai's Avatar
122
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT LSB
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianoplace IN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddeacon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprokai View Post
- Ventilated Seats don't seem to ventilate all that well. I will have the dealer check this just to make sure they're working properly. I hear the fans blowing, but never really feel any cool air.
BMW ventilated seats don't cool, by the way. It's one of the things we disliked most about our 750. BMW is quite explicit about that distinction. Thats why we didn't bother to spec ours with them. Our Porsche, as well as Infiniti and Ford all cooled great. I find the seats to be quite firm with a lot of lateral support.
Y'know... you try to do as much research as you can, but somehow this fact eluded me. Our old Explorer pumped A/C through the seats which was awesome and I just assumed BMW did the same. Kinda lame. We'll see what happens when it hits 95 degrees.

I've been wondering if X3M Seats would bolt in to an M40i... it would be expensive but might make this car almost perfect in every way.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #8
BANKRPT
DomZee
BANKRPT's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Elk Grove, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Congrats on the new new. Love that color!
__________________
Dom Ferraro
2019 BMW X3 M40i | Carbon Black
IG: bankrpt_x3
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 11:33 PM   #9
BuddhaTB
Second Lieutenant
BuddhaTB's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
211
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Congrats on the new addition to your BMW stable and welcome to the X3 family! Beautiful shots too!
__________________
2019 X3 xDrive30i Alpine White | Cognac w/ Fineline Cove Matte | 20" 699M Wheels | M Sport | Dynamic Handling PKG | Drive Assist | Parking Assist | Navigation | Trailer Hitch
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #10
Raypep
Private
2
Rep
58
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

I'm wondering if the ventilated seats in the BMW would still be enough to keep sweat away. I struggle especially when wearing a suit/dress clothes.

Or is it an option just to avoid as it is pretty useless.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #11
mmmmm40i
Enlisted Member
United_States
36
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: X3 m40i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

I sweat alot, that is just a fact I live with. Today the car hit 90 degrees parked in the sun, and I had the ventilated seats on full blast on the ride home. I can't say that I 'felt' it when it was running, but you definitely notice the moment you turn it off. It'll never cool as much as some of the others but absolutely was effective at preventing me getting a shadow of myself on the back of my pants
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #12
XGoober
Second Lieutenant
XGoober's Avatar
United_States
132
Rep
239
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bellevue, WA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypep View Post
I'm wondering if the ventilated seats in the BMW would still be enough to keep sweat away. I struggle especially when wearing a suit/dress clothes.

Or is it an option just to avoid as it is pretty useless.
I had them in my X5 when I lived in the Phoenix area. They were quite effective at keeping sweat at bay during the summer months. They do not actively cool you but they do a good job of removing excess heat buildup in the seat. If I were still in Arizona I suspect I would have ticked that box on my M40i, even knowing what compromises the resulting seat change bring.

However since I no longer have to deal with that kind of heat I skipped it this time around.

Basically, they work. Just not as most would expect.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 10:42 PM   #13
ElanMike
New Member
2
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: X3 M440i (soon)
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprokai View Post
Took delivery a couple of weeks ago at the PCD in Spartanburg. Awesome day! This thing can take some serious abuse on the handling course. Off-road course was also a lot of fun.



New owner notes:

- It's quiet and smooth and solid and fast!
- It's quiet until you hit the Sport Plus setting. Then it sounds meaner than my M3 Comp!
- Acoustic Glass was worth the $150
- Ventilated Seats are totally comfortable enough for me and the wife. But they are not "body-hugging" at all, especially compared to my M3 seats, of course. We hit many very windy roads on the way home and we were sliding around as we pushed it, but no real complaints. The long highway hours were fine too.
- Ventilated Seats don't seem to ventilate all that well. I will have the dealer check this just to make sure they're working properly. I hear the fans blowing, but never really feel any cool air.
- So far no issues with mysterious tail gate opening issues
- Spare Tire option worth every penny! 80 miles from home we hit a giant pothole in the center of the highway while changing lanes. That completely destroyed the right front tire. Two gaping holes in the side wall. We drove slowly on the shoulder for two miles no problem and put the spare on to complete the trip. The wheel had a couple of small nicks, but stayed round and true.
- It was a great 750 mile drive home and we're mighty impressed overall

The Build:
2019 M40i
Phytonic Blue
Driving Assistance Package
Driving Assistance Plus
Premium Package
Executive Package
M-Sport Diff
Adaptive M Suspension
21" Wheels
Trailer Hitch
Acoustic Glass
Space Saver Spare
Front Ventilated Seats
Wireless Charging
Harmon Kardon Sound

Huge thanks to all the forum members for all the data, info, opinions, comments etc. It was extremely helpful to make an educated buying decision.
I just ordered this exact same build last Friday except I didnít see any option for acoustic glass? I had that on my Jag; is it not standard?
Iím also glad to hear your views on Ventilated seats. I too ordered that option as canít live without them here in Phoenix, it read so many horror stories on this forum. I did test drive and seemed Ďokí but didnít really push it at the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:29 AM   #14
chicagofan00
Captain
chicagofan00's Avatar
United_States
563
Rep
821
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypep View Post
I'm wondering if the ventilated seats in the BMW would still be enough to keep sweat away. I struggle especially when wearing a suit/dress clothes.

Or is it an option just to avoid as it is pretty useless.
I had them in my X5 when I lived in the Phoenix area. They were quite effective at keeping sweat at bay during the summer months. They do not actively cool you but they do a good job of removing excess heat buildup in the seat. If I were still in Arizona I suspect I would have ticked that box on my M40i, even knowing what compromises the resulting seat change bring.

However since I no longer have to deal with that kind of heat I skipped it this time around.

Basically, they work. Just not as most would expect.
It's not that hot here! At least not enough where I would make the compromise in seat choice at least.
__________________
Current - 2019 G01 X3 ///M40i in Glacier Silver w/Cerium Grey trim delete, gloss black Roundels
Past- 2005 E53 X5 3.0i; 2008 E92 335i
Appreciate 1
MarkyM363.00

      05-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #15
Raypep
Private
2
Rep
58
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober View Post
I had them in my X5 when I lived in the Phoenix area. They were quite effective at keeping sweat at bay during the summer months. They do not actively cool you but they do a good job of removing excess heat buildup in the seat. If I were still in Arizona I suspect I would have ticked that box on my M40i, even knowing what compromises the resulting seat change bring.

However since I no longer have to deal with that kind of heat I skipped it this time around.

Basically, they work. Just not as most would expect.
That is what I was thinking. At the end of the day, I just want to ensure not to have sweat build up (lol).

I will have to test drive both seats and see if the non-adjustable bolsters are worth it for me. Its tough because most M40's in my area don't have ventilated seats.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST