BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-30-2023, 11:42 AM   #1
William R
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 2.0d 2018 1 Series

2.0d X3 E83 Crud in valves so won't start.

Hello all, I have been perusing for an answer to my issue but haven't managed to find one hence my first post.

My X3 has been running like a dog for months. It is severely down on power and when you accelerate it bogs down. As it is my towing vehicle, this has been far from ideal, but as its not my only vehicle the can has been kicked down the road for a while. I changed the fuel filter a month ago and it had no effect.

Last weekend I finally set aside the time to blitz it. I flushed the engine and changed the oil (Mannol 5W-40) and filter and air filter. I removed and thoroughly cleaned the intake manifold and EGR which were badly clogged with muck! But then I did something really dumb!

I saw that the intake ports were also mucky so I scraped a load of crud off and hoovered the ports out the best I could with a tube taped to a vacuum. I did not rotate the engine to close off the ports first!

After all this, I gleefully jumped into the car and turned the key expecting to hear and feel sweet music. Instead, I have a strange turning over sound like no compression, without a hint of firing. I charged the battery overnight and gave it another go with exactly the same outcome. I also just hooked it up to my 1 series with some heavy duty jump leads and ditto!

The engine codes being shown are:

4020 DDE: Exhaust temperature sensor upstream of particulate filter signal
4212 DDE: Glow plug, cylinder 1
4222 DDE: Glow plug, cylinder 2
4232 DDE: Glow plug, cylinder 3
4242 DDE: Glow plug, cylinder 4

Could anyone please shed some light on what I can do next to get this sorted?
Appreciate 0