BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-06-2023, 06:15 PM   #1
Vision6800
Registered
Rep
Drives: '99 328i

Water Leak in Rear Passenger-Side Footwell

Hi All, I need some help. It's a 2007 X3. It's parked on a downward slope. The rear passenger-side footwell gets wet.

10 days ago there was rain. The car sat for a day which dried out most things outside. Before I began to take it for a 10 minute drive I checked the footwell, it was dry. While underway you can hear water sloshing around. The sound is probably coming from the passenger side above area but it could be from lower. After arriving I again check the footwell and it's now damp. An hour later before getting underway again that area is damper and the moisture in the footwell is creeping towards the door along the rear of the footwell.

The left rear corner of the footwell is the center of where the water is found and it spreads from there. But there's no sign of where the water is coming from, which makes me think it's coming from the bottom and rising up. There's no noticeable trail of how the water is getting to the left rear corner of the footwell. There isn't any sign of it coming from the passenger rear door. In the past I took plastic wrap and created a barrier between that door and the entryway but nothing changed.

I had a water penetration test done at the dealer and they said the sunroof drains are clogged so water is running down the B pillar and through a loose vapor barrier on the passenger-side rear door. They want to butyl tape up the vapor barrier among other things.

This doesn't seem right. The four sunroof vents drain well (you can see small moisture puddles beneath the drains after a heavy dew) and I confirmed the front two are clear after the dealer test. There's no evidence the water is entering from the rear passenger-side door. So maybe water is running down the B pillar, bypassing the doors, collecting in the bottom and the left rear corner of the footwell is the lowest point so the water is noticed there first.

I don't understand why water collects while the sunroof drains are clear, and I don't understand the path it's taking.

Today, almost 10 days after the last rain, I checked the footwell before heading out. It was dry. But there was a little bit of sloshing around sound (probably leftover from 10 days ago) and after checking upon arrival the left rear corner of the well is wet again.

Has anybody been through this or have ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 02:25 AM   #2
GT4560
Rep
Drives: X3 1st Gen (456)

Those roof drain holes are not clear of debris!
Find them under the car and clear them out...may even have to remove the drain caps to do this.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 06:37 AM   #3
Vision6800
Registered
Rep
Drives: '99 328i

Thanks but they are clear.
Appreciate 0