BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #1
daltonvaas
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC (on order)

Collected - First Drive Thoughts...

Hi All

Finally picked up my X3MC yesterday, I went up to Lancashire to collect it and had a 250 mile drive back to London to get to 'grips' with it. For reference on my drive back it was raining heavily for about 3 out of a 4 hour journey.

The Car - Donnington Grey + Black Merino, Pano Sunroof, Enhanced BT, Apple Car Play, Privacy Glass, Rear Heated Seats, Comfort Pack

Start up - I was very impressed, I must say I have not actually test driven this car or even turned it on so I bought blind (which I have never done before) but my first impressions were that in spite of the OPF the exhaust sounded decent while it warms up the car from a cold start.

Ride - I think the reviews online about a harsh ride are genuinely unfair. Yes it does not glide like a Range Rover or X5 even but the car is not uncomfortable, on the motorway (M62, A50 and M1) it was a pleasure, in spite of the heavy rain and strong winds last night. When I got into town onto less even roads the ride itself was still fine and easily good enough for an everyday car. What however I did notice was road noise! Now let me clear, on the motorway, I didn't notice this but when I got into uneven roads the City there was a lot of thudding and bassy sound coming in from harsh jinks, bumps and uneven surfaces. I do however think this is more due to the heavily inflated tyres and the fact they're run flats. It wasn't something that bothered me badly but it was something to note for sure.

Power - Bearing in the mind the car is running in I went easy but the power was there, it was refined and it was fairly smooth though the power really kicks in past about 2500 RPM. When is Sport and Sport Plus mode it feels good, it feels fast and it feels controlled. I also came from a 428i so this is clearly a very very big jump for me, I do like it though

Handing - As expected, tight, well engineered and fun. No roll on corners and I was able to take long round bends on the motorway and good speeds without ever feeling out of control. The steering in Comfort FYI was my preferred setting as the wheel had a nice balanced feel, tight enough to adapt to increasing speeds and soft enough to not feel laborious. For most of the journey the car was in 'Efficient' engine, 'Comfort' body and 'Comfort' steering.

Overall, very pleased with what I have, my only gripe being road noise on bad surfaces. I was also a bit annoyed that the protect X was done on the day I collected so the car smelt of strong chemicals and there was a lot of residue on the door trims e.t.c. Going to contact the dealer about this.

Will post more when I ponder and clock up some more miles

Last edited by daltonvaas; 12-15-2019 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 7
JKen_0115175.50
aliwtsn46.50
r33_RGSport12906.00
BMWZ41908.00
BOGX4M46.00
      12-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonvaas View Post
Hi All

Finally picked up my X3MC yesterday, I went up to Lancashire to collect it and had a 250 mile drive back to London to get to 'grips' with it. For reference on my drive back it was raining heavily for about 3 out of a 4 hour journey.

The Car - Donning Grey + Black Merino, Pano Sunroof, Enhanced BT, Apple Car Play, Privacy Glass, Rear Heated Seats, Comfort Pack

Start up - I was very impressed, I must say I have not actually test driven this car or even turned it on so I bought blind (which I have never done before) but my first impressions were that in spite of the OPF the exhaust sounded decent while it warms up the car from a cold start.

Ride - I think the review online about a harsh ride are genuinely unfair. Yes it does not glide like a Range Rover or X5 even but the car it not uncomfortable, on the motorway (M62, A50 and M1) it was a pleasure, in spite of the heavy rain and strong winds last night. When I got into town onto less even roads the ride itself was still fine and easily good enough for an everyday car. What however I did notice was road noise! Now let me clear, on the motorway, I didn't notice this but when I got into uneven roads the City there was a lot of thudding and bassy sound coming in from harsh jinks, bumps and uneven surfaces. I do however think this is more due to the heavily inflated tyres and the fact they're run flats. It wasn't something that bothered me badly but it was something to note for sure.

Power - Bearing in the mind the car in running in I went easy but the power was there, it was refined and it was fairly smooth though the power really kicks in past about 2500 RPM. When is Sport and Sport Plus mode it feels good, it feels fast and it feels controlled. I also came from a 428i so this is clearly a very very big jump for me, I do like it though

Handing - As expected, tight, well engineered and fun. No roll on corners and I was able to take long round bends on the motorway and good speeds without ever feeling out of control. The steering in Comfort FYI was my preferred setting as the wheel had a nice balanced feel, tight enough to adapt to increasing speeds and soft enough to not feel laborious. For most of the journey the car was in 'Efficient' engine, 'Comfort' body and 'Comfort' steering.

Overall, very pleased with what I have, my only gripe being road noise of bad surfaces. I was also a bit annoyed that the protect X was done on the day I collected car so the car smelt of strong chemicals and there was a lot of residue on the door trims e.t.c. Going to contact the dealer about this.

Congrats! Thanks for sharing, I'm coming from M2 and going to pick up her next week, I can't wait to share my experience as well.

Post some photos for us!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
Brian-f
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3 M Competition

Quote:
Hi All

The Car - Donning Grey + Black Merino, Pano Sunroof, Enhanced BT, Apple Car Play, Privacy Glass, Rear Heated Seats, Comfort Pack

Ride - I think the reviews online about a harsh ride are genuinely unfair. Yes it does not glide like a Range Rover or X5 even but the car is not uncomfortable, on the motorway (M62, A50 and M1) it was a pleasure, in spite of the heavy rain and strong winds last night. When I got into town onto less even roads the ride itself was still fine and easily good enough for an everyday car. What however I did notice was road noise! Now let me clear, on the motorway, I didn't notice this but when I got into uneven roads the City there was a lot of thudding and bassy sound coming in from harsh jinks, bumps and uneven surfaces. I do however think this is more due to the heavily inflated tyres and the fact they're run flats. It wasn't something that bothered me badly but it was something to note for sure.

Power - Bearing in the mind the car is running in I went easy but the power was there, it was refined and it was fairly smooth though the power really kicks in past about 2500 RPM. When is Sport and Sport Plus mode it feels good, it feels fast and it feels controlled. I also came from a 428i so this is clearly a very very big jump for me, I do like it though

Overall, very pleased with what I have, my only gripe being road noise of bad surfaces. I was also a bit annoyed that the protect X was done on the day I collected car so the car smelt of strong chemicals and there was a lot of residue on the door trims e.t.c. Going to contact the dealer about this.

Hope you enjoy ur new car buddy. Get some pics up.

Ps its not on run flats just standard tyres on X3MC!
      12-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
daltonvaas
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Some Pics. Will take more when I can, sorry it was late and I had to rush back home! Now it's a bit filthy so will need to clean it up
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12906.00
BOGX4M46.00
      12-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
Brian-f
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3 M Competition

Looks great, Donnington is the best colour......but i could be a bit biased haha.
      12-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #6
bennyboy77
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3Msport 3.0d

Quote:
Hi All

100% identical spec to mine which I pick up at the end of the month, also from Lancashire! You better not have my car 😨

several sold from underneath me which had the Parking Assistant Plus on which I really wanted, but still really looking forward to picking up.

Thanks for the first impression write up.

Unfortunately I only have a few miles to drive mine home. Though I expect I may take a few wrong turns....

Did you get back on one tank of fuel? How thirsty did it seem on your long run. (Obviously will be much better after a few thousand miles).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
daltonvaas
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy77 View Post
100% identical spec to mine which I pick up at the end of the month, also from Lancashire! You better not have my car 😨

several sold from underneath me which had the Parking Assistant Plus on which I really wanted, but still really looking forward to picking up.

Unfortunately I only have a few miles to drive mine home. Though I expect I may take a few wrong turns....

Did you get back on one tank of fuel? How thirsty did it seem on your long run. (Obviously will be much better after a few thousand miles).
I hope it's not yours! They did also have a nice black one with Ivory White Merino which was making me think twice, I would have really also liked the Parking Assistant!

Not bad actually, I made it back from a full tank averaging 21.7mpg, I was tame mostly but I obviously had a but of fun.

I've clocked 331 miles and am showing 39 miles remaining...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
Jimmyjones654
Rep
Drives: X3M & M4

You got 331 miles from 1 tank ?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #9
bennyboy77
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3Msport 3.0d

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy77 View Post

I hope it's not yours! They did also have a nice black one with Ivory White Merino which was making me think twice, I would have really also liked the Parking Assistant!

Not bad actually, I made it back from a full tank averaging 21.7mpg, I was tame mostly but I obviously had a but of fun.

I've clocked 331 miles and am showing 39 miles remaining...
The fact the MPG starts with a two on the first run is a good sign! Though after the RIS, with a few more revs and some twisty roads getting near 21 would be great.

Over 350 miles from the 1st tank is pretty good either way though.

Have fun, but be warned, I'll be coming looking for you if I don't have a car at the end of the month 😉
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #10
daltonvaas
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjones654 View Post
I have 331 miles so far from the first full tank and am showing 39 remaining!

The mix is probably about 300 on motorways and 30 for in and around town. I think if I had continued by motorway only I may have been able to clock up near to 400...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #11
daltonvaas
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Does anyone think it's worth filling up on some premium fuel by the way?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Does anyone think it's worth filling up on some premium fuel by the way?
Yes if you want full power.
      12-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #13
x3mcomp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Congrats! Great spec, looks great. What tyres did yours come with, they won't be run flats. Definitely fill it up with the good stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #14
daltonvaas
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3mcomp View Post
Congrats! Great spec, looks great. What tyres did yours come with, they won't be run flats. Definitely fill it up with the good stuff
Thanks! I have the Continentals.... I guess without being able to change the tyres which I wrongly thought were runflats I won't be able to get rid of that road noise! Any other suggestions? If not it's ok I'll just go right ahead and enjoy the car

Ps - I'm not trying it put anyone off, I'm probably just being paranoid, the noise I describe is not wind etc, that's well insulated it's from the road itself coming up the suspension e.t.c. I'm also wondering if the ASD is exaggerating this noise?

Last edited by daltonvaas; 12-15-2019 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #15
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Very nice OP,

Which dealer, from Bowker Preston?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #16
M4SW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKen_0115 View Post
Quote:
Hi All

Ride - I think the review online about a harsh ride are genuinely unfair. Yes it does not glide like a Range Rover or X5 even but the car it not uncomfortable, on the motorway (M62, A50 and M1) it was a pleasure, in spite of the heavy rain and strong winds last night. When I got into town onto less even roads the ride itself was still fine and easily good enough for an everyday car. What however I did notice was road noise! Now let me clear, on the motorway, I didn't notice this but when I got into uneven roads the City there was a lot of thudding and bassy sound coming in from harsh jinks, bumps and uneven surfaces. I do however think this is more due to the heavily inflated tyres and the fact they're run flats. It wasn't something that bothered me badly but it was something to note for sure.

Power - Bearing in the mind the car in running in I went easy but the power was there, it was refined and it was fairly smooth though the power really kicks in past about 2500 RPM. When is Sport and Sport Plus mode it feels good, it feels fast and it feels controlled. I also came from a 428i so this is clearly a very very big jump for me, I do like it though

Congrats! Thanks for sharing, I'm coming from M2 and going to pick up her next week, I can't wait to share my experience as well.

Post some photos for us!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKen_0115 View Post
Quote:
Hi All

Post some photos for us!
I'll be very interested to see what you make of it. I'm in the same boat. Sold my M2 today, collecting X3MC on Saturday 21st.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #17
daltonvaas
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
Very nice OP,

Which dealer, from Bowker Preston?
Colne, Lancs
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #18
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjones654 View Post
Do you mean ONLY 331 miles or wow, 331 miles? I consistently get 590kms...probably around 375 miles
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #19
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Colne, Lancs
I got mine from there a few days ago, although my drive home was 10 miles not 250, that was a long way for you.
      12-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #20
daltonvaas
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I got mine from there a few days ago, although my drive home was 10 miles not 250, that was a long way for you.
Very laborious to go and collect but it was the only place that had Donnington and the main options I wanted...

Nice people there though.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #21
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Very laborious to go and collect but it was the only place that had Donnington and the main options I wanted...

Nice people there though.
Yes they are really nice, mines the same spec as yours but in Sophisto, the only thing I wish it had was surround view but you can't have everything can you.
      12-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #22
BOGX4M
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X4MC X5 40d

Congrats! Have fun!
Appreciate 0