BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-31-2024, 05:00 PM   #1
BeeGee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i

No oil reading and CD9304 diagnostic code

I've picked up a 2011 X3 xDrive28i from a friend. It only has 85000 miles and is in excellent shape. It was not serviced at BMW dealer and I suspect not a shop that generally does BMW service, had several "check" issues which I worked on addressing along with getting maintenance into a known state.

The only remaining issue I have is the oil level... the infamous "Measurement inactive..." message. I quickly learned of the lack of dipstick, and problems with oil level sensor and the serial bus that the oil level sensor uses along with several other sensors. Hoping it was as simple as replacing the oil level sensor, I did so, along with an oil change, but alas, it did not resolved the problem. Bimmerlink shows both the oil level and oil temperature are not being read.

Searching through threads, youtube, the only other thing I can think to do, short of taking it to the dealer, is try diagnosing the serial bus that serves these sensors, but I can't find anywhere a detail instruction for location of each sensor/connector to try unplugging/plugging. Does anyone know if such a detail exists?

Lastly, they said the valve cover gasket had been replaced, and I have seen references to some grounding wires in this area that should be checked, but I'm not sure if it applies to the N52 engine.

Thanks from a newcomer to this site.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:25 AM   #2
drukpa
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I have the same problem CD9304. Even changed the DME, still the problem is there, checked all ground cables. Checked alternator, water pump, oil sensor, IBS. Gave up, just doing oil changes every 5000Kms now. Sucks to not be having a manual dipstick to check oil level.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 07:32 PM   #3
BeeGee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i

I have a recall notice for engine bolt replacement. My current plan is to bring it in for that when they have the parts and ask them to take a look at why the oil level sensor isn't working. That will be my first experience with BMW service.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 01:49 AM   #4
drukpa
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
I have a recall notice for engine bolt replacement. My current plan is to bring it in for that when they have the parts and ask them to take a look at why the oil level sensor isn't working. That will be my first experience with BMW service.
Did you get the oil level sensor fixed?
Appreciate 0