BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Closed Thread

04-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #89
Frank Jia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i MPPSK

Another BMW ugly design.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #90
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Sorry BMW, Kia wore it better.
Attached Images

04-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #91
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
I think people see what they want to see. I'm just not a big fan of the style - don't really care about copying Kia or whatever.

This thread went from 1 post to 5+ pages in 1 day.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #92
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

If this is electric than that grill is more form than function.
      04-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #93
eMvy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The sensors etc are located in the grille to allow for a smoother front end aerodynamically therefore increasing efficiency.

BMWi design is an approach to aerodynamic aesthetics and minimalist design.
The new generation of BMWi models which take their place alongside the standard models will be bearers of this philosophy.
But why does the approach have to so jarring? How much real-world efficiency is gained at the sacrifice of aesthetics? That grill design adds how much driving distance to a single charge? I would argue it's utterly negligible.

More so than efficiency, I feel like the i vehicle designs are motivated by an unnecessary need to differentiate themselves and stand out. Look oddly futuristic, which perhaps I'm just not ready for. Maybe I'll never be. BMW i design: hey look at me, I'm electric!
F25 X3 28i
F30 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #94
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey4me View Post
Well I think that this is no longer a twin kidney grill. It's now one grill. I think the twin kidney grill is arguably the most iconic part of a bmw and I'm not sure why they would abandon it and go with one grill joining the rest of the carmakers. Some things shouldn't be messed with.....
Umm they used to be single lol
      04-22-2018, 10:08 PM   #95
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

It better have i-Mirrors or I will be pissed !

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 11:05 PM   #96
E92Gok
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 m3

*sigh* BMW were leaders in design but now looks like they wanna be the followers with these new "looks" of theirs
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 11:07 PM   #97
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Talking

Standard posting on theses forums lately if something changes on the BMW brand even if it is the " i " brand, go in to freak out mode and write the following statements

"BMW has lost its way"

"Electric cars are a joke" (When electric car forum post comes)

"OMGZOR No M-Mirrors, not a real M car (you know who you are)"

"Will never buy an BMW again"

Proceed to buy and BMW again rinse and repeat next time a post comes up about BMW changing something.

Guys notice that it literately says "BMW IX3 CONCEPT <----- " A Concept car witch they take design cues from.

Just relax and wait and see the concept car and then wait another 1-2 years before the real car arrives and see then how much it will look like the concept if it still has those "Horrible" KIA kidneys grill design then you can freak out if you want to. But don't forget to buy a BMW car again so you can keep freaking out how much BMW lost its way
Appreciate 6
L2794.00
JamieA92.50
Fhey454.50
BMWRL596.00
      04-23-2018, 12:25 AM   #98
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
It's a new interpretation of the twin kidney grille. But it also solves an inherent problem. With the need for advances in technology requiring sensors, cameras etc...
they do not allow for a clean minimalist front appearance.
The sensors etc are located in the grille to allow for a smoother front end aerodynamically therefore increasing efficiency.

BMWi design is an approach to aerodynamic aesthetics and minimalist design.
The new generation of BMWi models which take their place alongside the standard models will be bearers of this philosophy.
Including the i4 and iNEXT which is an SUV.

Although it is going to be interesting on how you react to the next generation of 4er? I can already predict the comments.

As for the "Connected" grille?
It's an element from our history, an interpretation of a previous tradition.
The only issue is the due to the issues in industrial design and engineering factors such as ventilation,safety legislation etc...

The grilles are wider purely down to aesthetic and problem solving issues. So although there is a similarity it is something BMW originally had but have reinterpreted.

Design as a whole needs to evolve and certainly BMW have an extensive back history to call on.
However other manufacturers are also implementing these and other tried and tested BMW features but trying to offer an interpretation to suit their language which for some is a concoction of BMW features.
The iX3 that will be shown in Asia, is it "just" a concept, or the real deal?
And can you confirm a Q3 2018 release in Europe?
Norway is waiting for more EV solution, not only I-pace and Audi can feel our demands.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 02:15 AM   #99
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_88M View Post
Standard posting on theses forums lately if something changes on the BMW brand even if it is the " i " brand, go in to freak out mode and write the following statements

"BMW has lost its way"

Proceed to buy and BMW again rinse and repeat next time a post comes up about BMW changing something.

Guys notice that it literately says "BMW IX3 CONCEPT <----- " A Concept car witch they take design cues from.

Just relax and wait and see the concept car and then wait another 1-2 years before the real car arrives and see then how much it will look like the concept if it still has those "Horrible" KIA kidneys grill design then you can freak out if you want to. But don't forget to buy a BMW car again so you can keep freaking out how much BMW lost its way
Or skip a generation OR two...
Appreciate 1
Nahlem1144.00
      04-23-2018, 03:00 AM   #100
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Or skip a generation OR two...
Hah Yes! That one works perfect
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 05:39 AM   #101
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Geez guys. Well,just a couple more days until Grille-gate when we see the entire new iX3.

I'm very hopeful that we'll get an EV design that will take some sales from the Jag iPace.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2018, 05:53 AM   #102
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

yikes, not sure if I like the trajectory of the grill designs these past few concepts.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 05:56 AM   #103
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
Norway is waiting for more EV solution, not only I-pace and Audi can feel our demands.
Woha, hold your horses fellow Norwegian!
Surely you mean Q3 2019?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 07:28 AM   #104
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
Woha, hold your horses fellow Norwegian!
Surely you mean Q3 2019?
One can hope, my F25 is getting tired. Need to see what's on my shortlist. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 07:48 AM   #105
Achtung.
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Wow, I thought folks were kind harsh with the Kia comparisons ... so I googled it.

BMW copying Kia now?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 07:54 AM   #106
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Maybe it is all in the execution, the connected kidney grille was previewed in the 8 Series Concept, it was clear that BMW were going to play with this new grille design, so this iX3 concept version doesn't surprise me. I really love the grille on the 8 Series Concept, and I was disappointed that some aspects such as the "Y" shaped fins didn't translate to the model it seems will become the production one.

When I saw this latest take on the connected grille, it did answer a question I have had in the back of my mind, and that is without a big emblem in the middle of the grille, like Mercedes et al, BMW have very limited ways of incorporating sensors. Having them at the bottom in the air intake mustn't be optimal, and certainly leaves them more open to damage. You can see the approach taken in the 7 series with the front facing camera was to have a black insert between the kidneys, and I think this looks terrible, especially on lighter coloured cars. They cleaned this up a bit on the G30.

You can see the designers are being pushed by the engineering requirements, and like many BMW designs, the first versions aren't always the best resolved, but I am happy to see where BMW go with this path, especially if we can have something more like the 8 Series Concept eventually.

I am not really sold on the iX3 grille we see here, but I am not prepared to flame BMW for trying to find design solutions to engineering problems. BMW engineers haven't been focusing too much on the things we would like to see - ie better engines, steering feedback and sportier handling, but I can see that the brightest minds are occupied with how to make BMW relevant in a post-ICE world. Rapid change is the constant in most industries these days, and I'd rather BMW change move with the times, and reinterpret their traditions and brand, rather than die by standing still. We often forget that in the scheme of things, BMW is a small car company, they don't have a fat rich parent like Porsche do to help them make this massive capital investment in their future. I really don't care if they sell a lot of 4WD and other (to us) sacrilegious cars if this finances the brilliant ones in the future.
Attached Images

BMWRL596.00
      04-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #107
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA View Post
Maybe it is all in the execution, the connected kidney grille was previewed in the 8 Series Concept, it was clear that BMW were going to play with this new grille design, so this iX3 concept version doesn't surprise me. I really love the grille on the 8 Series Concept, and I was disappointed that some aspects such as the "Y" shaped fins didn't translate to the model it seems will become the production one.

When I saw this latest take on the connected grille, it did answer a question I have had in the back of my mind, and that is without a big emblem in the middle of the grille, like Mercedes et al, BMW have very limited ways of incorporating sensors. Having them at the bottom in the air intake mustn't be optimal, and certainly leaves them more open to damage. You can see the approach taken in the 7 series with the front facing camera was to have a black insert between the kidneys, and I think this looks terrible, especially on lighter coloured cars. They cleaned this up a bit on the G30.

You can see the designers are being pushed by the engineering requirements, and like many BMW designs, the first versions aren't always the best resolved, but I am happy to see where BMW go with this path, especially if we can have something more like the 8 Series Concept eventually.

I am not really sold on the iX3 grille we see here, but I am not prepared to flame BMW for trying to find design solutions to engineering problems. BMW engineers haven't been focusing too much on the things we would like to see - ie better engines, steering feedback and sportier handling, but I can see that the brightest minds are occupied with how to make BMW relevant in a post-ICE world. Rapid change is the constant in most industries these days, and I'd rather BMW change move with the times, and reinterpret their traditions and brand, rather than die by standing still. We often forget that in the scheme of things, BMW is a small car company, they don't have a fat rich parent like Porsche do to help them make this massive capital investment in their future. I really don't care if they sell a lot of 4WD and other (to us) sacrilegious cars if this finances the brilliant ones in the future.
#1 - BMW isn't a small car company by any means

#2 - we are not in a post ICE world.

Just saying
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #108
fxoffroad
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 X3/'18 i3s/'12 X5/'03 Z8

This thread cracks me up.

I'm sorry IMO, I think you're (very) wrong... its a C-O-N-C-E-P-T (yet to be confirmed). There's no reason that technology sensors and (as you say) minimalist design and evolution would negate the brand's core/essential design language. An evolution doesn't mean a departure.

Quote:
...new interpretation of the twin kidney grille.... minimalist front appearance... the new generation of BMWi models... Design as a whole needs to evolve...

Alden, you are so correct. I have to stop reading this thread, its silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_88M View Post

"BMW has lost its way"

Appreciate 1
JamieA92.50
      04-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #109
fortressmaximus
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
I think people see what they want to see. I'm just not a big fan of the style - don't really care about copying Kia or whatever.

This thread went from 1 post to 5+ pages in 1 day.
You're right. That being said, not only is the style terrible, but it also looks like Kia on top of that.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #110
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
#1 - BMW isn't a small car company by any means
It is in my view. Sales of circa 2m per annum is very small compared to the level of capital investment required. Why do you think that there has been such consolidation in the car making industry, and a focus on paring down platforms to as few as possible in order to generate volumes needed to amortise development costs?

You may recall BMW publicly stating some time ago that they were too small and that they needed to reach certain production targets in order to have a viable business into the future, and to remain independent. I believe that target was 2m vehicles. Who knows what it is these days, certainly not less.

For this reason, BMW collaborating with Toyota should worry you. It worries me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
#2 - we are not in a post ICE world.

Just saying
I didn't say that. I was talking about what is required to produce success in that world, a world that you and I know is drawing closer all the time. I know what I want that world to look like - an independent BMW competing well and producing the sorts of cars we would like to buy. If they don't get this right, it will be death by 1000 cuts, and we can plainly see the BMW have stumbled, because in their race to volume their core offerings have suffered and have not been the cars we all wanted.

I see a fire on the horizon for BMW, and I think navigating this next decade well will be critical for them.
Closed Thread