BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #45
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
So mine is working well but has a small amount of side to side play (1 mm?) that is amplified by a bike rack/bike that is probably 80 lbs total. Basically it sways more than I like but can't say it's a problem yet. It is definitely coming from where receiver locks into hitch frame.

Anyone else notice this? Normal? Not normal?
Zero play thus far and I've towed multiple 2 ton loads in my trailer.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 08:28 AM   #46
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
So mine is working well but has a small amount of side to side play (1 mm?) that is amplified by a bike rack/bike that is probably 80 lbs total. Basically it sways more than I like but can't say it's a problem yet. It is definitely coming from where receiver locks into hitch frame.

I have zero play with my setup (bike rack). Is the play actually the rack in the receiver? I know my old rack had play but my new one uses a tension system for theft purposes that creates a tight fit in the receiver. I have zero play where the receiver attaches to the hitch mount and zero noise from it when "loaded" up.
Retired: 2020 M340i xDrive
Retired: 2017 X5M
Retired: 2016 550i xDrive
Retired: 2015 X6 50i
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #47
BrockDM
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

Quote:

I can confirm the same exact thing is happening with my S4 hitch and the X3M. I think it's only present when there is a fairly heavy amount of tongue weight so it wouldn't be too noticeable while towing.

With my 50lb bike rack and (2) 50lb bikes on the tongue I get the side to side play you mention. The rack bounces around a little more than I would like but like you said, no problems thus far. I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 04:37 PM   #48
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogFixer01 View Post
I have zero play with my setup (bike rack). Is the play actually the rack in the receiver? I know my old rack had play but my new one uses a tension system for theft purposes that creates a tight fit in the receiver. I have zero play where the receiver attaches to the hitch mount and zero noise from it when "loaded" up.
Movement comes from stealth hitch receiver connection with main unit (at the locking point). Bike hitch locks tightly without movement to hitch receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockDM View Post
I can confirm the same exact thing is happening with my S4 hitch and the X3M. I think it's only present when there is a fairly heavy amount of tongue weight so it wouldn't be too noticeable while towing.

With my 50lb bike rack and (2) 50lb bikes on the tongue I get the side to side play you mention. The rack bounces around a little more than I would like but like you said, no problems thus far. I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed.
I'll email stealth hitch at some point and ask them. I will say though that I did a massive tail out slide with bike on back while getting onto the freeway yesterday and it rocked and rolled but stayed put! Can't say the same for my bike gear in the trunk. lol
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      06-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #49
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Movement comes from stealth hitch receiver connection with main unit (at the locking point). Bike hitch locks tightly without movement to hitch receiver.

I'll email stealth hitch at some point and ask them. I will say though that I did a massive tail out slide with bike on back while getting onto the freeway yesterday and it rocked and rolled but stayed put! Can't say the same for my bike gear in the trunk. lol
Hah! Rock on!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 08:48 PM   #50
mvinoos
mvinoos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Phytonic Blue X3

Active Vs Stealth Wiring

Which wiring did you guys go for?
I am looking to self install on my G01 x30i.
Did you guys use Bimmercode to code the Trailer Mode in iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 09:58 PM   #51
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogFixer01 View Post

Quote:

Was that to find the source of the sway? : :
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:15 AM   #52
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvinoos View Post
Which wiring did you guys go for?
I am looking to self install on my G01 x30i.
Did you guys use Bimmercode to code the Trailer Mode in iDrive?
I have the Rack Only option so no wiring
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #53
mvinoos
mvinoos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Phytonic Blue X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
Zero play thus far and I've towed multiple 2 ton loads in my trailer.
Assuming that you installed a Tow Package, what wiring you chose?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 09:22 PM   #54
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 12:33 AM   #55
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Yeah, all that. They hadn't produced that slick video when I pulled the trigger on their product, but I was really convinced by the promise I was behind an M40i two days ago with a factory hitch and still thought my solution looked, invisibly, better. I've raved about this product before here in the forum, I know. But it really is that good and no, I don't get a kickback for sales I'm just thoroughly satisfied with this product
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 10:54 PM   #56
NJ-X3MGuy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo

Anyone towing something heavy with the Stealth hitch on an M? Currently tow my 21' boat with my Macan for short trips.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 01:19 AM   #57
de_Mulles
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I shall get my car by the end of the month, ordered it with the original hitch...will post some pics/vids by then
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #58
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I've just got a hitch fitted and it's brilliant - easy to fit / take off when not needed.

HOWEVER.... I'm having a problem with the rear parking sensors not disabling. Yes I know I can switch them all off, but I want the fronts to work and I want the rear camera on.

I've had a look in Bimmercode and can't see anything?

Is there manual coding for a rear camera trailer view?

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #59
ChipC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Did you get just the rack only option or did you option the wiring harness also?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #60
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
I've just got a hitch fitted and it's brilliant - easy to fit / take off when not needed.

HOWEVER.... I'm having a problem with the rear parking sensors not disabling. Yes I know I can switch them all off, but I want the fronts to work and I want the rear camera on.

I am dealing with the same annoyance. If I reverse with my bike rack on and don't disable all sensors it slams on the brakes and won't move. It's kind of a pain that there isn't some sort of trailer/towing option.

Let us know if you find a work around.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 05:37 PM   #61
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post

I am dealing with the same annoyance. If I reverse with my bike rack on and don't disable all sensors it slams on the brakes and won't move. It's kind of a pain that there isn't some sort of trailer/towing option.

Let us know if you find a work around.
You can deactivate the emergency braking on reverse setting on iDrive - Vehicle settings
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 09:03 AM   #62
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
You can deactivate the emergency braking on reverse setting on iDrive - Vehicle settings
Pic? I could not find anywhere to turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #63
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Pic? I could not find anywhere to turn it off.
My Vehicle - Vehicle settings - parking - active PDC with braking intervention - click it
Attached Images

Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2043.00
      07-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #64
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My Vehicle - Vehicle settings - parking - active PDC with braking intervention - click it
Huge thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #65
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipC View Post
Did you get just the rack only option or did you option the wiring harness also?
Full electrics.

I've investigated further.

Basically unless it's a factory OEM hitch the sensors will go off (unless you manually turn them off). With the OEM hitch the car recognises that you are towing and disables the sensors.

To summarise it you can achieve this through coding (I assume) but it's not covered in the X3/4M Bimmercode (it is for the G01) so must be an E-Sys only change.

I don't have E-Sys so will have to put up with disabling the auto on parking sensors.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:10 AM   #66
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My car doesn't brake when I have the bike rack on the hitch so not sure this will make a difference to me. But thanks.

Appreciate 0