BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-31-2020, 10:58 PM   #23
clank
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M,16_M3,14_ 535-msport

Still looking for more feedback to those owning standard seats and how you like them. I know my F80 2016 standard seats are very firm in the butt and actually cause issues for drives longer than 150mis for me and the wife. Just makes like distance travel not so great. I would hope these seats in f97 or not as firm/hard as my M3 seats are. thx again for more feedback
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 07:00 AM   #24
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clank View Post
Still looking for more feedback to those owning standard seats and how you like them. I know my F80 2016 standard seats are very firm in the butt and actually cause issues for drives longer than 150mis for me and the wife. Just makes like distance travel not so great. I would hope these seats in f97 or not as firm/hard as my M3 seats are. thx again for more feedback
You might want to ask this question the regular X3 forum. The base seats in the X3M are the same as the non-ventilated sport seats in the X3M40i. In general, I don't think that there are a lot of complaints about the comfort of those seats (the ventilated version is a different story). Personally, I thought that the base X3M seats were more comfortable overall, but lacked the amazing support in the seat back of the MSport seats. The MSport seats' seatback just hugged me so nicely plus I really wanted the ventilation. I figured I'd deal with the firmer cushioning plus the slightly tighter/less comfortable seat bottom of the MSport seat in exchange. I don't typically drive for more than about an hour at a time in these seats (and have done a whopping 350 miles since picking my X3M up on 2/29/20 due to Covid) so I can't attest to how the MSports feel after a 150 mile drive. My gut feeling is that if you typically take long drives and have this much concern over the comfort of the MSport seats, you should probably go with the base ones. If you are a highly "spirited" driver and have lots of twisties near you, the MSport seat might be the better choice, providing that you aren't uncomfortable in them. The seat bottoms on the MSport seats are very narrow, so if you have a wider butt/big thighs the seam on the seat bottoms may cut into you. Plus, as others have mentioned, it is pretty much impossible to "man spread" in the MSport seats unless you are smaller framed. I know I can't do it and I'm 6'2" 225lbs, 44L jacket, 36W x 34L pants, big thighs.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 08:12 AM   #25
BeyondVision
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M; Alfa Romeo Stelvio

I have a non Comp with the msport seats. Aesthetically, IMO there is no comparison. This performance SUV is meant to be driven hard so those m-sport seats are great to keep you contained during spirited drives. I was leaning towards the standard sport seats, but changed at the last minute and happy so far that I did. Although, I can see it possibly providing discomfort with how prominent the back bolsters and lumbar support are on longer road trips. Took me awhile to adjust the seat in a comfortable position...still not sure if I have it right. I just don't have a commute or drive that long of distances. For reference, I am about 6'1 175 lbs. I would say fairly broad shoulders as I workout quite a bit, but no thunder thighs.

Also, seating is such a personal thing IMO. Just like everyone's thoughts on this vehicles ride quality, etc. which I find great. It is all relative and based on your personal physique and experience.

Safest way is to buy a vehicle with driver seat configured as m sport and the passenger as standard. if it gets uncomfortable just pop in the passenger side and have someone else drive it for you........just kidding of course
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:20 PM   #26
dr.nurburgring
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
I'm a big guy and don't care for the sport seat bottoms. If feels like I'm sitting on a five gallon bucket. The bolsters dig painfully into my thighs. I've always preferred to brace my left leg against the door and my right leg against the console to keep my butt planted when cornering hard. The folks at BMW seem to want me to sit like a teenaged girl wearing a miniskirt with my knees pressed together.

It is my wife's car however and she loves it. Plus it is the only way you can get ventilated seats apparently. If I were buying another one for myself, I'd skip the sport seats and the executive package. I'd get the non competition and right after the run in service would spring for a BM3 tune.
Why would u skip on the executive?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 01:27 AM   #27
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

I'm a medium sized guy at 5'10" & I love these seata. However, depending on what I wear & how I'm sitting the width of the seat can be very constricting in the groin area. So I can see some peoples concerns in that regard.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 06:42 AM   #28
Ironwood
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.nurburgring View Post
Why would u skip on the executive?
It is my wife's car and she doesn't use any of it. I assume it adds weight, so no thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 08:04 AM   #29
GoFastGoFish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC , 2020 X5, 2021 JLU

So my situation is interesting.. I am a formerly athletic build.. now fat lethargic desk jockey that sits in front of 4 monitors all day.. I am 6'2 300.. with 2 herniated discs.. and various other broken bits... I am def wider than most in the shoulders.. back.. and thigh area..and I actually love the Sport Seats .. it takes about 20 minutes to set them perfect.. but after that it's all gravy.. I have driven for 5-6 hours straight in them at times.. through rough city roads and then highway.. I am not sure why these seats fit me... no other sport bolstered seats have in my current form.

Also, just to add.. I do not daily this vehicle.. but they also fit me fine in the G82 M4 as well..

Last edited by GoFastGoFish; 06-29-2021 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 08:41 AM   #30
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

We must remind ourselves why the Sport seats exist - not for comfort but for holding you in place, that's why they exist. You can't have it both ways, although for some you can get pretty close. From BMW's perspective, if you're someone that values comfort, you won't choose this seat. Non Sport seats without ventilation is going to be the best option for max comfort.
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #31
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

I don't know. I see half the people complaining about the thickness or shape of the foam in certain places. I know for me there is too much foam in the lumber to upper back region. Which is irrelevant of the width constraints the top and bottom bolsters produce. I'm fine there. The BMW seats in my Supra are fantastic in comparison. The side bolsters don't look as tall but since the foam on the back of the seat isn't as thick the seat is just as effective.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 10:02 AM   #32
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I have the standard seat option. It's what was on the lot and not my first choice, but as a daily, it's totally fine. Supports me enough for my needs. Wish it looked sportier though if I'm being honest. It's sort of plain Jane. I've had the chance to since test drive a sport seat option and it was awesome. Definitely hugs you in all the right places. Looks the part too for a M model. However, for me, sitting in it coming from a standard seat I did find it to be a little too restricting for my personal taste.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 04:09 PM   #33
clank
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M,16_M3,14_ 535-msport

I have had my x3m standard seats fo over a year and the seats are comfortable for daily and support me enough for spirited driving. I agree the seats are not as exiting looking as sports are but as someone who tends to man-spread the standard seats work better for me especially for long distance drives. I am glad I chose standards.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 06:19 PM   #34
iMi84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

I went with standard seats mainly because of backseat room. I preferred the sport seats and at 6'4" fit fine, but I really felt like they cut into the back seat leg room. I can fit in the drivers side rear with the front seat at my position with the regular seats, but with the sport seats I had to have my legs on an angle since there wasn't enough room. With two kids in car seats, unfortunately had to pass on sports seats. But if I the space was the same I would have def went sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 05:21 PM   #35
socalhawki
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC Donington & Sakhir

I had the ventilated “standard” seats in the X3 M40i with Vernasca and now have the X3M Comp. These seats feel comfier and more sporty at the same time. FYI I’m 5’6 150lbs and stay fit so it’s all personal opinion. Amortized over 60 payments it’s about $35 a month or a dollar a day.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 11:26 PM   #36
dusty80
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
No M seats = no M.
I found the M seats uncomfortable and lump, very comfortable with standard seats. They have all the adjustments without the bumps.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 01:55 PM   #37
BigBMWguy85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F97 View Post
As much as I loved to competition model I could not get comfortable in the sport seats. Maybe it's because I have a broader upper body. They bothered me to the point where I wasn't sure if I'd be able to deal with it for three years. I felt more comfortable in the standard sport seats (m40i & x3m non comp)
The m sport seats look fantastic and I agree the leather is a step up. But you have to sit in them and drive around to see if they are to your liking.

If I could have gotten the comp w/o the upgraded seats that would be ideal. In the end got the non comp. still a great car and I couldn't be happier. 5k miles currently
I couldn’t agree more. Can’t stand the sport seats. Trying to find someone who can remove the seat and add some foam to them to lift me out of those tight bottom bolsters.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 07:41 PM   #38
STi from DSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
I'm a big guy, 6' and around 290 lbs. These are the most comfortable seats I have ever had in any car I have owned.
I recently had an X1 as a loaner while getting my oil changed and those seats had no bolstering and were stiff compared to the Merino Leather. A no brainer decision for me, but every person is different.
      03-22-2022, 11:08 PM   #39
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
I was torn as well. I ended up with the standard seats. I also have an OG M2 so I assumed they'd be comparable. While the sport seats look nice, I didn't love the color options as much as I've been lusting over the tartufo, I felt like it was all a bit busy and I couldn't justify paying 2k for black seats. The only option I got was the heated steering wheel because I wanted to keep the cost low. My X2M35i had them and they were nice but I got a killer deal on the car.

For the record, I've done about 40+ track days with my standard M seats. I think you'll be fine unless you're going to have FOMO then just get them. I also read they cut into the rear leg room and it's already a smaller SUV.
      03-23-2022, 10:55 AM   #40
Edgar_FriendlyX3M
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M  [10.00]
I never sat in the regular seats, but I have the M seats in my 2020 non competition and I find them comfortable. I'm 5'10" and about 165lbs. I have the upgraded merino leather as well and love it. A much improved upgrade over the standard stuff. The whole point of the seats is for the bolstering so the best advice is to try and sit in both types of seats before you buy.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 09:14 PM   #41
Arehman11
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

We went with base seats. They are very comfortable to us even though we are smaller. Our main reason was that the sport seats were just a bit too big to fit our rear facing baby seat without touching the seat back. Also the Vernasca seemed like it would hold up to abuse better.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 12:25 AM   #42
SwiftHalf
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M

Love them, I prefer a firmer seat. The M logo being backlit is an amazing touch too.
Appreciate 1