BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-31-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
X3ray
Rep
Drives: X3

Broken Plastic flap under the grill?

Hi guys,

I was changing my chrome grill to black grill today and I noticed some broken black flaps hanging once I took my chrome grill off.

Anyone know what they are ?
I took a picture of these broken plastic

View post on imgur.com

Pls tell me my car can live without these plastic stuff.

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 05:54 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3ray View Post
Hi guys,

I was changing my chrome grill to black grill today and I noticed some broken black flaps hanging once I took my chrome grill off.

View post on imgur.com

Many thanks
Geez...you didn't hear the plastic cracking while you were swapping out the grilles? Looks pretty significant - plastic bits seems to be from the top of where the grilles are...no doubt the car is driveable, but maybe a pic from the engine might help to assess
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 06:12 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I'm thinking those those pieces were laying in there before the grille was removed. Probably surround for the radiator and maybe from a front end hit.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Ahh, this is a used vehicle then? Then yes, probably damage from previous owner/accident
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Hi guys,

View post on imgur.com

Many thanks
I don't recognize them off hand, I see what looks like built in cable holders so you might want to take the pieces, lay them out and connect them together so they are back in "one" piece, take a pic, flip them over, reassemble them and take another pic and then go to realoem.com and try to find it.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2020, 05:44 PM   #6
X3ray
Rep

Thanks guys.

I’m pretty sure I didn’t break them when I changed the grill. (But I broke my arms and scratching everywhere on my arm lol)
I did rear ended somebody’s car about a year ago, but it didn’t leave a scratch on my car so I didn’t bother to check the parts inside.

From the looks of these broken pieces, they look like something to do with the radiator. I can’t really tell what they exactly are, but after looking up on realoem website, it looks like the radiator parts. Would that cause an issue if I keep driving without it?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 07:45 PM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I’m pretty sure I didn’t break them when I changed the grill. (But I broke my arms and scratching everywhere on my arm lol)
I did rear ended somebody’s car about a year ago, but it didn’t leave a scratch on my car so I didn’t bother to check the parts inside.

From the looks of these broken pieces, they look like something to do with the radiator. I can’t really tell what they exactly are, but after looking up on realoem website, it looks like the radiator parts. Would that cause an issue if I keep driving without it?
A little hard to answer without knowing for sure what it was though it doesn't look critical. If you look at it, there are cable clamps, sort of the size that the hood release cable is secured by. Do you see any of that size cable running in that area that is not secured? Could it be it was already replaced but someone didn't remove the broken pieces because of where they were located, laziness, whatever???

If you look at the shroud around your fan, is it intact? I guess what I'm saying is give the car a good look over in and around the area you found these parts, compare what you see to realoem or perhaps find another X3 to compare with. You can locate one at a dealer, used car lot, etc on line and drive your there and park next to it and ask if the dealer wouldn't mind opening the hood for you, be honest and tell him why...I would hope they would do it.

If in the end its still a mystery, then just drive the car
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #8
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Maybe a trip to your dealer is warranted
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 08:02 PM   #9
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Depending on where they go, they may reduce some of the efficiencies for cooling the radiator and or condenser or maybe they hold a hose in place. If you you haven't noticed any issues for a year, it may be ok, be if it were me I wouldn't chance it without knowing their purpose. While the grilles were out, I'd look to find were they went and if possible, JB weld them back in place with some window screen material for reinforcement. I've done many of this type of repair using this method with great success.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 08:55 AM   #10
X3ray
Rep

Finally found a pic match exactly what I found.

It looks like it holds something but I don’t see anything holding in those slots when I removed them from the car.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #11
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It looks like it holds something but I don’t see anything holding in those slots when I removed them from the car.
Those type of clips are typically for securing hoses. My guess is they're for the rubber hose between the headlight washers. Do you have headlight washers?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #12
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Congrats!!! Here it is for $140 at AutohausAZ https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/UR-517...SABEgKTp_D_BwE
PPP = pricey plastic piece I agree with pungo, its a generic plastic air duct used on many models with and without certain options. So provided you don't see a hose or cable dangling in that area, ignore the clips.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #13
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

And here's genuine BMW for not a whole lot more. https://www.bmwdirectparts.com/oem-p...ct-51747210476
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 03:49 PM   #14
X3ray
Rep

Thanks for all the replies!

My X3 model is the one with shitty halogen Headlights. So there is no headlight washer there, I guess I’m lucky this time.

To be honest, the whole plastic thing is half broken, half of them still holding okay inside the bumper. It just sounds scary that it’s called radiator support unit, I can’t really see it’s supporting anything there, it was just stuck with the lower grill part.

Do you guys think I should take my chances and just pretend never seen it lol?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 05:57 PM   #15
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies!

My X3 model is the one with shitty halogen Headlights. So there is no headlight washer there, I guess I’m lucky this time.

To be honest, the whole plastic thing is half broken, half of them still holding okay inside the bumper. It just sounds scary that it’s called radiator support unit, I can’t really see it’s supporting anything there, it was just stuck with the lower grill part.

Do you guys think I should take my chances and just pretend never seen it lol?
realoem called it an Air Duct. Check it out and let me know if I'm looking at the correct piece.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_9625

It could be that the radiator also attaches to it, its a big ass piece of plastic that probably serves multiple purposes. Not sure how to answer your last question, I like to replace broken stuff, if the missing pieces are not causing any structural issues, meaning nothing is loose like the radiator or other critical components, then you can put it off till the budget allows but I'd replace it.
Appreciate 0