BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-13-2020, 07:43 PM   #1
dn.34
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

2008 X3 binding up during sharp turns

I have a 2008 BMW X3 with the 6 speed manual transmission and 180k miles. Recently, I did some exhaust work (installing a cut out) as well as switched from my winter tires, to summer tires. After working on it, I drove out of the garage and turn the wheel full lock to make a sharp turn. The car feels like it is loading up, and it doesn't want to roll, then suddenly there is a mechanical clank sound and the car "unloads". This happens repeatedly through out the turn. Vibration can be felt through the shifter and it sounds like the transmission is being jolted.

First, I remembered that I had found that one of the CV boots on the front passenger side was torn a few months ago. I had to leave to go back to school the next day and could not find one locally so I just taped it up and sent it. I figured this joint had worn out and was bad. I took the axle out and opened up the joint. There wasn't a whole lot of grease in there, but it was decently clean and everything looked completely fine. I ordered a new boot, cleaned it thoroughly, re greased it and put it back in the car.

Secondly, I have read about the plastic transfer case gear becoming stripped and causing similar problems. I pulled mine out, and there was some slight wear on the teeth. It didn't seem like any significant amount. I rotated the gear 180 degrees and reinstalled. I also drained and replaced the front diff oil with Amsoil Severe gear oil, just to rule that out.

I did those things and tried the car again, it was no better, and seemed worse even. I tried putting my snow tires back on, but that did not help either.

I am not sure what to do next. I replaced the clutch 2-3k miles ago, and changed the transmission oil with Amsoil, and the transfer case oil with the OEM BMW oil. The car had no issues after that work.

Any suggestions on things to check would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to just start replacing things willy-nilly. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 06:32 PM   #2
BigChiefMN
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X3 E83

My 2010 X3 also does this at random times. Usually happens when backing out of a parking space with the wheels turned. Happens at the end of the backup process, like after 12 feet. Almost seems like the emergency brake shoes binding up, stopping motion then the clunk of a release. I can't get it to repeat at the shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
EvilSideOfGood
Rep
Drives: 2007 e83 n52 11/2006 built A/T

Do you have the 4x4 light on? Or does it come on here and there?? I had the same problem when my tc was on its way out. Got a rebuilt tc and a new actuator. That solved the problem. I opened the old tc and found chunks of metal in it.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 02:34 PM   #4
Glene
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChiefMN View Post
My 2010 X3 also does this at random times. Usually happens when backing out of a parking space with the wheels turned. Happens at the end of the backup process, like after 12 feet. Almost seems like the emergency brake shoes binding up, stopping motion then the clunk of a release. I can't get it to repeat at the shop.
Did you get it resolved? Mine acts the same.
Appreciate 0