BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #397
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x3, BMW x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by br944s View Post
New to the Forum. Good Morning. Just purchased a used 2014 X3. PO left a CD in player. Ejected CD. Now every minute or so player is running on eject mode. Once the car goes into "sleep mode" it does stop. But while car is running I can hear the player trying to eject. Any ideas? TIA.
Try remove AC control panel and see if it still eject if it doesn't then could be problem with headunit.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 08:48 PM   #398
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I've only used the new adjuster, though that shouldn't matter too much. I'm not sure why you thought counting turns would accurately adjust the play since there can be variability between the new and old part. Without the specialized measuring tools, I adjust it by feel. Did you add plenty of new grease?
  1. Front wheels off the ground
  2. Feel and remember how much resistance there is to turn the steering wheel left to right.
  3. Grab left tire at 3&9 o'clock and wiggle it back & forth and feel/hear play/clunk at the left inner tie rod end.
  4. Tighten adjuster a little at a time 1/8 turn or less until all play is gone.
  5. Turn steering wheel and check for increased resistance compared to previous check. Should be the same, if not back off adjuster a hair and recheck.
  6. Turn steering wheel lock to lock to ensure smooth operation.
  7. Go test ride to determine if fixed.
  8. If adjuster is too tight, the steering may not return to center on its own exiting a turn.
What I meant was that in addition to everything above I also counted turns to see the ballpark to when to slow down the turns and start doing test drives and steering feel. I watched a bunch of videos and read everything I could find before attempting the work. Counting the turns got me to a good steering feel zone, I drove for a bit and went by 1/8 until I got to a what I thought was perfect steering response. The wheel re-centers and drives smooth. I got the car aligned and it drives great. Steering feels more nimble and I added plenty of grease. To my surprise the original bearing did not look like it was worn out at all. Could it be shaft itself making noise?
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 11:29 PM   #399
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
What I meant was that in addition to everything above I also counted turns to see the ballpark to when to slow down the turns and start doing test drives and steering feel. I watched a bunch of videos and read everything I could find before attempting the work. Counting the turns got me to a good steering feel zone, I drove for a bit and went by 1/8 until I got to a what I thought was perfect steering response. The wheel re-centers and drives smooth. I got the car aligned and it drives great. Steering feels more nimble and I added plenty of grease. To my surprise the original bearing did not look like it was worn out at all. Could it be shaft itself making noise?
If the adjustment is tight enough so there no play, then that's no you problem. It could be any number of other things, but just saying there's noises is not very descriptive. Describe the noise, when does it make noise, bumps, rough road surface, while steering, while braking, etc... Kinda hard to recommend what the problem may be without knowing when/how/what noises it's making.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #400
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
If the adjustment is tight enough so there no play, then that's no you problem. It could be any number of other things, but just saying there's noises is not very descriptive. Describe the noise, when does it make noise, bumps, rough road surface, while steering, while braking, etc... Kinda hard to recommend what the problem may be without knowing when/how/what noises it's making.
Yeah the adjustment is tight enough, I went little by little until the wheel feel became a bit on the heavier side but still re-centered perfectly.

The loudest noise it makes is when I back out of my parking spot and turn the wheel to the left. It's very loud in the cabin when it happens, sounds like a loud thump, like something was stuck and then released. The sound feels like it's disconnected from the car if that makes sense, in other words when the sound happens there is no feeling through the cabin of any sort. Interesting thing is sometimes there is no noise at all when I back out and sometimes its very loud. Daily driving there isn't any noise on rough surfaces or bumps, only on turns. The sound got worse since it first happened a year ago, but the car drives fine. I can also hear the noise if I turn the car off and slightly turn the wheel in its parked position, the noise is a lot more quieter.

I have read a post on FCPEuro where they said that F25 Chassis uses very flimsy metal in control arms and when bushings go bad, the dealer replaces the whole arm instead of pressing in a new bushing. Basically they are a one time use. Could sway bar links make such noises?

Thanks for your help btw..
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 04:15 PM   #401
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

It's very common on all Bimmers models to replace the entire thrust or control arm instead of just the bushing, be it Dealer or Indy shop doing the job. Rubber bushing on one end, metal ball joint other end, both subject to wear in long run.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 04:38 PM   #402
N55_X3
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i MSport

Today, I updated the navigation maps with the 2020 version.

I'm no longer in the void when parked HOME!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #403
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
Yeah the adjustment is tight enough, I went little by little until the wheel feel became a bit on the heavier side but still re-centered perfectly.

The loudest noise it makes is when I back out of my parking spot and turn the wheel to the left. It's very loud in the cabin when it happens, sounds like a loud thump, like something was stuck and then released. The sound feels like it's disconnected from the car if that makes sense, in other words when the sound happens there is no feeling through the cabin of any sort. Interesting thing is sometimes there is no noise at all when I back out and sometimes its very loud. Daily driving there isn't any noise on rough surfaces or bumps, only on turns. The sound got worse since it first happened a year ago, but the car drives fine. I can also hear the noise if I turn the car off and slightly turn the wheel in its parked position, the noise is a lot more quieter.

I have read a post on FCPEuro where they said that F25 Chassis uses very flimsy metal in control arms and when bushings go bad, the dealer replaces the whole arm instead of pressing in a new bushing. Basically they are a one time use. Could sway bar links make such noises?

Thanks for your help btw..
First I was thinking outer CV joints, but when you said it makes the noise when when parked, that should rule them out. A big pry bar on all suspension joints to test for play to rule those out, though a competent alignment tech should have checked those prior to the alignment (you told them there was a suspension noise, right?). Yes, it could be sway bar links, you could disconnect them to rule that out. The labor to press old bushings out and new ones in is close to the cost of an entire new arm, therefore it's much easier and quicker to replace the arm. It could be the strut top bearings since it does it when turning, though they're hard to test on the vehicle. Did you check that all suspension fasteners tight, especially the steering rack to subframe fasteners. It's hard to troubleshoot over the internet, though I hope this gives you some more things to check.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #404
Pablo876
Registered
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Music Collection

Loaded some music on the hard drive new to BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:42 PM   #405
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

Washed and vacuumed. Installed the $15 eBay drivers door handle insert. Did the exhaust flap mod.
      05-10-2020, 09:17 PM   #406
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

8 years & 80K miles...about time for new filters in the air recirculating system!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 09:30 PM   #407
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
8 years & 80K miles...about time for new filters in the air recirculating system!
OMG
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #408
gomichigan
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

Had the transfer case + transmission serviced, flush and refill.

Next week: walnut blasting and new spark plugs

Last edited by gomichigan; 05-11-2020 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      05-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #409
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomichigan View Post

how many miles on your X3? and are you experiencing any performance issues? My mechanic says my engine doesnt need walnut blasting yet, over 130k miles.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #410
X3Turbo
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0d xDrive MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW X3  [0.00]
Newbie on here so thought to post my 1st update!

Full Service done today alongside:

New LED door handle light replaced
Cigarette lighter fuse replaced

And by the way - it's a 2.0D 2012 MSport with 66k on the clock 👍🏽
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 07:22 PM   #411
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘15 650ix GC, ‘14 X35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomichigan View Post

Nice!!! Could also consider oil catch can to avoid future blasting? I’ve been considering it.

Hope it feels a bit more peppy!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:04 PM   #412
rcsummers
OG e46
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3 | ‘16 Golf R | ‘04 M3

New wheels came today!

@summers_7R_M3
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 10:59 PM   #413
jammo
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

New owner of a 2015 xdrive28d, first BMW as well! Upgraded software and maps to 2020
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 01:19 AM   #414
gomichigan
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
how many miles on your X3? and are you experiencing any performance issues? My mechanic says my engine doesnt need walnut blasting yet, over 130k miles.
Currently around 157k miles, no performance issues. Just doing it for peace of mind, as I'm unsure when/if it's ever been done considering my mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubq View Post
Nice!!! Could also consider oil catch can to avoid future blasting? I’ve been considering it.

Hope it feels a bit more peppy!
I should think about that. But, I would like to see what it's like after 157k miles! I'll definitely send some before/after pictures on here. X goes in this Sunday.
      05-13-2020, 06:17 AM   #415
petesz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d (2016)

First post here.. bought my first BMW, 2016 X3 XDrive20d in January this year.

Took it for a photo shoot the other day. Since purchase I've done a few modifications via Bimmercode (turned off the damn auto stop/start), put on some roof racks for convenience (not pictured), and cleaned it every weekend
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      05-13-2020, 05:10 PM   #416
X3Turbo
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0d xDrive MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW X3  [0.00]
Nice car - love the front end on the newer models!

Just wondering though, start/stop deactivated?

Why? Is this bad for the car? I have it mine so just wondered whether it's best to switch it off but wanted to know what the benefit of deactivating was.....
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #417
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

For the life of me I can't figure out the Xenon bulb on my X.

It was missing the bulb and cover when I got the car, but now that I have a bulb and a new cover I can't seem to get the bulb to lock in place. I put it in, twisted, applied pressure. Tried everything like you normally would. It just flops around in the holder no matter what.

Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 06:33 PM   #418
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeLow View Post
For the life of me I can't figure out the Xenon bulb on my X.

It was missing the bulb and cover when I got the car, but now that I have a bulb and a new cover I can't seem to get the bulb to lock in place. I put it in, twisted, applied pressure. Tried everything like you normally would. It just flops around in the holder no matter what.

Any tips?
Maybe the socket is broken, that's probably why the bulb was missing when you got the car. Compare it to the other side to see if something (tab, etc..) is broken.
Appreciate 0