BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-14-2022, 10:46 AM   #1
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

BMW and McLaren exploring joint electric supercar project

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com

Georg Kacher
European editor, secrets
uncoverer, futurist, first
man behind any wheel

► First the McLaren F1, now this
► A response to high-performance EVs from Stuttgart and the VW Group
► 2026 to 2028 timeframe

Call it a high-performance fling or a one-car stand. Whatever the status, the brief affair that generated the
legendary three-seat McLaren F1 powered by that awesome 6.1-litre BMW V12 wrote a small yet memorable
chapter of automotive history in the early 1990s.

Earlier this year, the British sports car maker and the German premium manufacturer once again met behind
closed doors to discuss a project which focuses on two new electric cars, each of which could appear in BMW
and McLaren guises: a supercar and a high-performance carbonfibre crossover.

After the F1, there was talk of a less extreme joint sports car project which came to nothing despite resurfacing
twice, most recently in 2019. Now, the ambition is a new halo car with an exceptionally light and stiff carbonfibre
matrix engineered and assembled in the UK, with Munich supplying the high-performance batteries, e-motors,
inverters and software.

What is the need?

BMW needs an answer to the electric Audi R, about five years down the road, and the two electric sports cars
Mercedes-AMG has coming in 2027/28, not to mention the prospect of an electric Porsche 911.

McLaren’s own product plan indicates that its first zero-emissions car will debut in late 2026. The provisional plan
is for an all-wheel-drive Super Series coupe with 1088bhp from four e-motors. Is there room for an extra model –
something that could become an electric heir to the BMW M1? And if so, how must it differ from the McLaren?

Platform sharing

Neither party likes the idea of making one car with two badges. Instead, there would be distinct designs, inside
and out. Beneath the skin, there would be much greater commonality. There are calls from both sides to start
from scratch with an all-new platform which has a target base weight of 1500kg.

‘McLaren impressed us by rethinking the way a modern sports car should be engineered and built – their fresh
approach to the integration of key components is particularly clever,’ applauds a source from Bavaria.

The benefits of a partnership are less clear as far as the still sketchy crossover is concerned. The previous
McLaren leadership flatly rejected an SUV, claiming it would go against the grain of the puristic brand image.

What sort of electric car?

But this categoric veto is increasingly difficult to uphold now that even the most loyal sports car customers are
fast developing a taste for taller but still very powerful vehicles; even Ferrari has succumbed to the demands of
the market. It would clearly be a complete departure for McLaren, but for BMW the question is what would it
replace? The range is already laden with SUVs.

The answer may be to replace the 8-series Gran Coupe with something more akin to a roomy four-seater
with SUV overtones, but a seat height as low as an estate car’s; think Taycan, not Cayenne.

Audi’s Woking takeover

Progress has been slow in recent months, especially when word spread around that Audi was about to take
McLaren over. ‘The risk that our know-how would filter through to the competition had become too high,’ recalls a
former member of the task force.

It took time to clear the air, just as it took time to appoint Michael Leiters as McLaren CEO. BMW CEO Oliver
Zipse is claimed to have thrown the biggest spanner in the works when McLaren and the M division last came
close to a deal.

What’s different this time around? ‘Because the final effort has to be a two-way street, an arrangement of mutual
benefit, a clear win-win situation,’ states a person deeply involved in the project.

What’s in it for either party?

What exactly is it that the M division cannot create all by itself? Bear in mind that in 2021, M sold 163,542 cars;
McLaren sold 2138. Where are the weak links of the Bavarian go-faster division? A BMW engineer has some
answers: ‘McLaren is quicker, leaner, more flexible, willing and able to take bigger risks. They do small-volume
production runs at costs we can only dream of. But their main asset is of course the carbonfibre know-how.’ M
boss Frank van Meel has said: ‘In the future, every new M model must be lighter, more efficient and quantifiably
sportier in the way it drives and performs.’

McLaren can help their German friends to get the weight down, create a second-to-none torsional rigidity and
add a unique selling feature not even Ferrari can match across the range. BMW for its part can supply advanced
software and the bespoke electric componentry which help to pave the way for faster charging cycles and an
acceptable range for sporty drivers. The 2026 to 2028 timeframe seems to play into the hands of both parties
because the next battery revolution and the advantages it entails are about four years away. Which is another
way of saying that the grace period for a deal will likely run out before the end of this year.

Car Magazine: https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...-bmw-electric/
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2022, 10:52 AM   #2
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

There's so many rumors around McLaren lately and it started with them not making a deal with Audi for their F1 team which was a terrible idea considering their struggles and how good Audi is at saving brands like this (Lamborghini as an example).

The greatest production car of all time is a McLaren BMW collaboration but it was a different era (also an accident, the engine was originally supposed to be a Honda) and given that McLaren has primarily focused a deal with BMW for EV development as well as BMW's mindset lately - I don't see this working out well. I want them to succeed so much but they really don't know what they're doing. Audi/VAG was really the only hope for them, imo.

As far as F1 goes, there's no hard evidence that BMW will be involved just some rumors. Only real facts out there is: Red Bull Racing Porsche is happening and Sauber is selling majority ownership to Audi so Alfa Romeo will become Audi F1.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 11:40 AM   #3
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

It makes some sense. BMW doesn’t know how to make a supercar (one might argue they’ve forgotten how to make any decent car, but I’ll exercise some restraint and leave it that small dig). Mclaren has never been a powerplant manufacturer and continues to source its engines from a third party.

Does BMW have the best EV tech, though? Maybe it doesn’t matter because as NYG says, VAG is the obvious choice but that partnership got taken off the table because VAG/Audi wanted the F1 team, so Mclaren told them to fuck right off.

This partnership wouldn’t be an F1, though, because Gordon Murray isn’t involved. But Mclaren still makes some fantastic road cars, so if BMW would stay in their own lane with the decision making, this could be something good
Appreciate 3
NYG10645.50
stein_325i25083.00
      07-19-2022, 09:23 AM   #4
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobsBMW View Post
All the major car makers are making electric cars. Tesla will be in trouble
I highly doubt it.

They're already seen by people as a symbol of status and they have a major head start on everyone. They also got to work out a lot of bugs and QC issues when they had zero competition. Not to mention their mileage per full charge destroys everybody.

I don't think Tesla will lose its' crown as EV King.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 09:39 AM   #5
E46ZHP2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020m240ixvert

Buh Bye Tesla

Tesla is rapidly becoming irrelevant as an auto company. Yes, they were first and have had no real competition. That's why they were special/successful. Those days are rapidly coming to an end. They will be put in their place by the enormous, established auto industry.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 01:55 PM   #6
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46ZHP2 View Post
Tesla is rapidly becoming irrelevant as an auto company. Yes, they were first and have had no real competition. That's why they were special/successful. Those days are rapidly coming to an end. They will be put in their place by the enormous, established auto industry.
They're prices continue to go up regularly because of ridiculous demand. Go ahead and look how much a model x is right now then look at it again in 2-4 weeks. I don't know why you think they're becoming irrelevant.

I say this as someone who is not a fan of EV too.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      07-22-2022, 10:55 AM   #7
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Hopefully it doesn't look like the McLaren Mercedes car. That didnt work for me.

I bet it it will be the M5 motor mid engined driving the rear and electric powertrain driving the front, with a carbon tub

Expect 750-850 HP I bet.

Like if BMW made a modern NSX.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 01:41 PM   #8
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1984 View Post
Hopefully it doesn't look like the McLaren Mercedes car. That didnt work for me.

I bet it it will be the M5 motor mid engined driving the rear and electric powertrain driving the front, with a carbon tub

Expect 750-850 HP I bet.

Like if BMW made a modern NSX.
They just have an agreement in place with BMW for them to develop EV for their cars. There's no joint project happening at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 08:22 AM   #9
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

With BMW involved there's a good chance the McLaren won't have rusting fasteners

McLaren

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0