BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BMW X3/X4 Forums BMW X3M (F97) and X4M (F98) General Forum (2018+) My 2021 X3 MC tracked @ VIR

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-01-2021, 11:29 AM   #23
Wanderer73
Captain
429
Rep
675
Posts

Drives: X7 M50i
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Now that looks like insane fun! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2021, 05:11 AM   #24
mmmmQuattro
Major
mmmmQuattro's Avatar
Australia
219
Rep
1,123
Posts

Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I wonder how the X3 would compare to a Macan on the track?
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2021, 07:19 PM   #25
shawnhayes
Private First Class
61
Rep
150
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW i3, 2018 BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhartm69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Awesome! What lap times?
Honestly, I have no idea.

Running in the D (novice) group isn't ideal for setting fast lap times.

I run 2:02's in my Z06, so I would guess maybe 2:08's - 2:10's???
Come'on man. An SUV on stock pads and tires only 6 seconds a lap slower than your Corvette?

It would be A LOT slower than that, even pedaled 10/10ths

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2021, 03:21 PM   #26
djhartm69
New Member
42
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 MC
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Raleigh

iTrader: (0)

^I know Art & Nancy very well.

I don't think either would have an issue.

When I see him on the 10th (I'll be instructing at VIR for Ken Kirkham), I'll ask just to make sure.

*Actually, I just ordered a few because they do a lot of hard work & he can't eat sweets anymore.

As soon as he sends them, I will update the post.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by djhartm69; 05-03-2021 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
X2Board435.50

      05-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #27
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
X2Board's Avatar
United_States
436
Rep
1,644
Posts

Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wake Forest, NC

iTrader: (1)

Good man! Post deleted.
__________________
2013 Jerez Black/Black E92 ZCP DCT - I'm back!!
2014 Guards Red 991 C2S 7MT - Gone.
2015 YMB/SS F80 M3 6sp - Gone
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #28
tarmactrr
Enlisted Member
39
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Come'on man. An SUV on stock pads and tires only 6 seconds a lap slower than your Corvette?

It would be A LOT slower than that, even pedaled 10/10ths

Shawn
6 seconds is a massive difference in time on a track.

I would bet he has a better guess one what the lap time is considering he knows his lap times in his z06 than you do.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2021, 06:07 PM   #29
tarmactrr
Enlisted Member
39
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: OR

iTrader: (0)

Just curious... are you on the michelins or the conti's?

Also at 43F/38R hot, what approx was that cold? (if you checked them next day, as I'm guessing you never started fully cold at that ratio).

Think you sold me that it would be worth taking the x3m to a track day this year, at least once.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2021, 06:53 PM   #30
djhartm69
New Member
42
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 MC
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Raleigh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmactrr View Post
Just curious... are you on the michelins or the conti's?

Also at 43F/38R hot, what approx was that cold? (if you checked them next day, as I'm guessing you never started fully cold at that ratio).

Think you sold me that it would be worth taking the x3m to a track day this year, at least once.
I think I started with the cold PSI of 33F/38R.

I'm only concerned with in lap temps.

I have the Conti's which are very susceptible to rollover, so I let them get into the mid-40's hot before finding what seemed to work.

The X3 is MUCH easier on tires than the Type-R, despite its weight.

You will not be disappointed on track, but be sure to check with the event organizer as many still scoff at SUV/SAV's.

Randy P took me out for a session in my Type-R. The man has some mad skills & is nice as hell.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 07:03 PM   #31
djhartm69
New Member
42
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 MC
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Raleigh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Come'on man. An SUV on stock pads and tires only 6 seconds a lap slower than your Corvette?

It would be A LOT slower than that, even pedaled 10/10ths

Shawn
I thought about this a bit more.

I had two students last November, one in a Camaro 1LE, the other in a C6 Z51.

Lap times were 2:13 & 2:19 respectively.

I know I was faster in the X3 than a 2:19, but probably not at 2:13.

So let's say somewhere in between.

I have Track Rabbit on my phone, but forgot about it in the X3, since I use the built-in PDR on the Z06.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 07:04 PM   #32
djhartm69
New Member
42
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 MC
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Raleigh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmactrr View Post
6 seconds is a massive difference in time on a track.

I would bet he has a better guess one what the lap time is considering he knows his lap times in his z06 than you do.
6 seconds is ginormous!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:01 PM   #33
tarmactrr
Enlisted Member
39
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhartm69 View Post
I thought about this a bit more.

I had two students last November, one in a Camaro 1LE, the other in a C6 Z51.

Lap times were 2:13 & 2:19 respectively.

I know I was faster in the X3 than a 2:19, but probably not at 2:13.

So let's say somewhere in between.

I have Track Rabbit on my phone, but forgot about it in the X3, since I use the built-in PDR on the Z06.
That a full slick or a trofeo R tire? I've got the Trofeo R's on my Supra and they are magical at the track. Not the best street tire though as they seem to take a bit of effort to get up to temperature.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2021, 11:02 PM   #34
tarmactrr
Enlisted Member
39
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhartm69 View Post
I think I started with the cold PSI of 33F/38R.

I'm only concerned with in lap temps.

I have the Conti's which are very susceptible to rollover, so I let them get into the mid-40's hot before finding what seemed to work.

The X3 is MUCH easier on tires than the Type-R, despite its weight.

You will not be disappointed on track, but be sure to check with the event organizer as many still scoff at SUV/SAV's.

Randy P took me out for a session in my Type-R. The man has some mad skills & is nice as hell.
Thanks. I've got the michelin's so I'll just play with the pressures when I wind up getting it on track. I'm sure it won't have any issues with the organizers/tech guys at a track night event or a BMW club day.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2021, 11:07 PM   #35
djhartm69
New Member
42
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 MC
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Raleigh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmactrr View Post
That a full slick or a trofeo R tire? I've got the Trofeo R's on my Supra and they are magical at the track. Not the best street tire though as they seem to take a bit of effort to get up to temperature.
I typically run Pirelli DH slicks.

The Supra's are phenomenal on track.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:41 PM   #36
tarmactrr
Enlisted Member
39
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhartm69 View Post
I typically run Pirelli DH slicks.

The Supra's are phenomenal on track.
Mine is a MKIV, so I would hardly call it phenomenal... it's not bad for an old car though Sadly it's getting so valuable now I'm having a hard time with running it on track days. One reason why I think I'll give the X3MC a go instead.

Appreciate 1
      05-05-2021, 12:15 AM   #37
djhartm69
New Member
42
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 MC
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Raleigh

iTrader: (0)

^Beautiful car!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 12:20 AM   #38
djhartm69
New Member
42
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 MC
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Raleigh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmQuattro View Post
I wonder how the X3 would compare to a Macan on the track?
I would imagine the Turbo would give it a run for the money while offering a bit more feedback.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST